John Lennon Imagine 2018 Boxed Set (Content and Sound Quality Issues Only!)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lennonology, Oct 4, 2018.

1. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Your welcome :)

Never done that before, maybe I'll me give it a try later today.

hodgo likes this.
  2. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

It's a pretty simple process and it helps out other folks outside of the forum.

formu_la, phil1db and crossroads69 like this.
  3. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

A pair of related historical questions, just in case someone has the answer at hand:

When did Give Me Some Truth
    become Gimme Sone Truth?
    When did I Don't Want To Be A Soldier
    become I Don't Wanna Be A Soldier Mama I Don't Wanna Die?

Thanks!
    RH

Martin Byrne and stevenson66g like this.
  4. yardbuzzard

yardbuzzard Forum Resident

^^^^
    This. Absolutely true for me too, as well as the Pepper box & the upcoming White Album box.

Carl80, dasacco and hodgo like this.
  5. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Both. His initials are in the deadwax

hodgo likes this.
  6. Raf

Raf Senior Member

As far as I know, the title changes first appeared in the 2010 reissues.

Rob Hughes likes this.
  7. Rob Hughes

Earlier than that, it seems: the 2000 remaster has the Gimme and Wannas.

8. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

Why on earth would they be changed?

9. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

I agree , got through most of it last night, haven’t listened to the evolution disc yet but really enjoyed the outtakes, demo’s, raw mixes.

Some great versions of I don’t want to be a solider especially take 11 on disc 2, really like strings only elements mix of How? Amazing.

Really liking that demo of god save us as well.

yardbuzzard and hodgo like this.
  10. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

So far I've listend to the Raw Mixes on the Bluray (2 ch) which I have to say are outstanding. I've also played the new mix on CD 1 which I'm not impressed by, whilst there are differences between it and the original, it still has that muddy lifeless sound that I've always disliked, my go to in the future will either be the 2000 remix or the raw mixes on this set.

11. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Oh, OK. I don't have any of the 2000 releases.

12. Rob Hughes

I'd be delighted to read an informed account on the title change on those songs!

It may be, for example, that somewhere there's a handwritten Lennon lyric that would give some authority to the colloquializing changes and the Mama I Don't Wanna Die expanded title -- though such title changes would still fly in the face of the fact that the song titles were approved and released differently in 1971.

It is also possible that the song titles were changed at some point during Lennon's lifetime... but I haven't scrolled systematically through discogs to see.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    IronWaffle likes this.
  13. Mister President

John Lennon Anthology from 1998 had it down as I Don't Want to be a Soldier so around this time it may have changed.

Rob Hughes likes this.
  14. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

The surround mix is really intelligently done. I've seen complaints that there isn't much in the rears but the strings are really nice there, giving more audio real estate to appreciate the instrumentalists at the front. When you get a sparing use of rear centre (such as the Tibetan bells on “Oh My Love”) it's effective and subtle. The harmonica flying around at the end of the album is cute as well.

As a general rule I prefer my surround sound to be all-embracing, but I think that this stereo+ approach works well for the album. My only doubt is actually Lennon's vocals, which sound a little cramped in the centre channel.

p.s. the “Happy Xmas (War Is Over)” surround mix is great as well, but the map must be wrong because there are definitely chorus vocals in the rears.

15. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

The original LP had "Give Me Some Truth" and "I Don't Want To Be A Soldier" on the label but "Gimme Some Truth" and "I Don't Wanna Be A Soldier Mama I Don't Wanna Die" on the inner sleeve.

[​IMG]

(But it's "Mamma" rather than "Mama" on the other side of the inner sleeve...)

Earlier thread: John Lennon: When did "Give Me Some Truth" become "Gimme Some Truth?"

16. Mister President

Wonder why they put an interview from 1975 with Bob Harris at the beginning of How Do You Sleep? (Evolution Doc) asking if John regretted making it...like it was a disclaimer to say it's not about Paul. Bit strange to include it.

17. Rob Hughes

Well, I can't be alone in thinking that, at the level of the lyric, the song does no credit to the state of Mr Lennon's soul at that time.
    Much better to highlight the great groove and its powerful production.
    And yet... the lyric is rock history's most infamous hit-job and that's the first thing that people are always going to think about it.

18. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

The 5.1 mix maps are cool to have in the book, thank you Paul Hicks!

I like the surround mix of the title track with the strings subtely placed in the surrounds. It’s got that immersive feel that just extends the soundscape outside of the stereo field, nicely done!

19. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Well, I am well and truly over the moon with this one.

The Raw Studio Mixes Extended Album Versions 5.1 is more than superb!!! I listened to it right through for the third time this afternoon/evening and I like it even more each time. An easy 12 out of 10.

And the 5.1 mix on disc 1 although conservative it more than has its moments. Not to mention a very fine 5.1 mix of Happy Xmas (War Is Over). And the quad is better than I've previously heard it.

Congratulations to Yoko and all involved - it's a magnificent production.

20. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Care to measure 5.1? Thanks.

21. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I've got a feeling that when the smoke settles it's the people who believe in surround sound who are going to be most elated by this set. There have been plenty of sets with additional takes or isolated tracks, and I'm sure that stereo-only Lennon fans will lap up that content, but I can't think of any set that has mixed everything to 5.1 like this. The Raw Studio mixes are more or less the best that this can be done without actually finding a way to issue the multitracks complete: if you want to study every instrumental detail, these mixes give you that.

I don't care particularly about Lennon in general or this album in particular but even I have to recognise that with this set they've produced one of the zeniths of the superdeluxe format.

Rfreeman, ted321, coffeetime and 6 others like this.
  22. John Porcellino

John Porcellino Forum Resident

It's Color Theory 101... Warm colors (red, orange, yellow) seem to come forward to the eye, cool colors recede. A handy trick used by centuries of artists!

23. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Deadwax is who did the lacquers, I’m asking if it says “Vinyl mastered by Ron McMaster” in the credits.

24. ZoSo794

ZoSo794 Forum Resident

Can't comment on the 5.1 as I don't have a surround set up but to me the Raw Studio Mix of the album is the true gem of the set, it's like listening to John and the band do a live run through of the album.

25. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I know that!

This is what it says:

Vinyl Mastering: Ron McMaster at Capitol Mastering

Does this answer your question?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    dobyblue, hodgo and oxenholme like this.