John Lennon (October 9, 1940 – December 8, 1980).

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

So unfortunate that DOUBLE FANTASY was intended as a celebratory start of something "new", and it turned out to be the end. I had a short period of about 2 or 3 weeks before 12/8/80 to play and enjoy the album for what it was meant to be. :(

2. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I was 25 when he died and spending the night at a friend's house not far from where it happened. A friend of his came over. We had heard the news and told him John Lennon had died. he said "so what, people die every day". I wanted to punch him in the face.

3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

In keeping with the whole Lennon/Peace thing ? :laugh:

Billy Infinity likes this.
  4. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

Rest In Peace John Lennon

5. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

LOL! great photoshoppin' there!

theMess, linclink and JL6161 like this.
  6. Lil' Brian

Lil' Brian Forum Resident

I didn't mean to overreact. It was just a very emotional day. One that's stuck with me for 34 years, I guess. That does seem like a long time.

7. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Gives the phrase "speaking truth to power" a whole new meaning.

theMess and linclink like this.
  8. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

That is precisely what I concluded after the memorial. I was just 12 years old, and to me, for something like that to happen to someone like John, it woke me up to that perhaps the world isn't so nice a place. Childhood over.

It has zero to do with whether one knew John or not. I can certainly hear news of good people dying and get bummed out. For me, being a kid, rock musicians and celebrities were like invincible gods. Things like that didn't happen to them; who would want to hurt John Lennon? Seven years before, Jim Croce died, but I was too young to really put that together.

All of a sudden, this great and inspired musician, father, husband, was no longer on Earth due to a bulls*** reason. You don't have to know a person to be affected by that.

Dan

Solace and theMess like this.
  9. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

This. It may not have been a simpler time, but listening to the music he made makes me feel that way so the "Dream" will never "be over"

at least while Im alive

10. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

It gets a little less depressing every year that passes but Lennon's murder was the death that affected me most up to that point (hadn't experienced any deaths in the family yet). I was very young and a huge fan so it was a huge shock. Getting Double Fantasy for Christmas was sad - I still remember the bittersweet feeling of opening it up on Christmas morning.

11. ernie11

ernie11 Senior Member

Agreed. My heart wasn't into playing Double Fantasy much after Lennon died.

12. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

His spirit still lives on and will as long as humans still exist

theMess, Shak Cohen and Peter Pyle like this.
  13. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

No 8 december has passed without an echo of that awful feeling of dread, now 34 years ago...

14. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Took me years, and I mean years, after this horrible event before I could finally enjoy John's music again.

15. Faceman

Faceman Forum Resident

I was on a US Coast Guard Cutter in the Caribbean on the midnight watch. My job was a Quartermaster (it dealt with the ship's navigation). I was trying to get a navigation fix and was using a radio direction finder and using the radio direction finder was an option of last resort and it was just by chance I accidentally got a New York radio station and learned the news. I was loss for words. In those days we did not get a lot news from the outside world, so I spread the word to my friends on the ship. I can't believe it has been 34 years, but I can still remember where I was when I first heard the news.

16. cgoodwin22

cgoodwin22 Senior Member

I was 10....and remember i always had my radio on all night...it helped me sleep. I kept waking up hearing Beatles songs the entire night. The next morning my mom told me he was killed. I brought my 45 of "Just Like Starting Over" to school that day.

theMess likes this.
  17. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Count me among those who has trouble with listening to Double Fantasy. I get the feeling that he was really happy/content for the first time ever when "it" happened.

I still dread December 8th coming around.

theMess likes this.
  18. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

I was 34 ,34 yrs ago and it made me very sad indeed
    John Winston Lennon was always my favourite fab, witty ,quicksilver clever, RnRs best vox
    But I knew deep inside that he would have acquiesced, as did all his RnR heroes, to a fate, for a life lived incandescently brightly, and virtual pleasure given to millions

19. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

We were lucky to have had him.

20. MDC=POS

Rock On forever Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Peter Pyle likes this.
  21. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

All valid points, but I think aside from impact or non-impact of Lennon's death on one's life, the original question is interesting, and I'm curious about it myself -- how many here actually met or otherwise interacted with Lennon? Any stories to share?

Billy Infinity likes this.
  22. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I got the red vinyl 1962-1966 for Christmas that year. I remember my mother commenting that they were lucky to have bought it before 12/8 since there was a big rush on Lennon and Beatles records in the immediate aftermath of the incident, as there had been with Elvis Presley a few years earlier.

My parents were watching "Quincy" in the living room when the first bulletin broke in about Lennon having been shot. (Probably around the same time as Cosell on ABC? I seem to recall it was about 10:50 PM our time -- Chicago time -- which would have been just about an hour after it had happened.) I don't remember a specific bulletin announcing his death, just at some point, the comments on radio and TV began to include references to his having been "shot dead" instead of just having been shot.

I have looked on You Tube and various places, but so far I have not found any recordings of those initial announcements -- the bulletins saying he'd been shot, but before it was known that he had died. Anyone know of anything like that out there? Just from a historical perspective, I'd like to find the first news bulletins.

23. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

When life looks like easy street, there is danger at your door...

At the very least, I take comfort in knowing this, he really seemed truly happy for the first time since the Beatles. That has to count for something

24. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

http://www.radiotapes.com/specialpostings.html#JohnLennon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.