John Lennon (October 9, 1940 – December 8, 1980).

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

Man, I still remember that night. I was watching Monday Night Football when Howard Cosell made the announcement. My sister, bro-in-law and I all sat in stunned silence. We switched over to the 10 pm news (in Houston), and when the broadcast started the news anchor struggled to keep from crying as she delivered the news. Needless to say, it was a surreal and heartbreaking night.

owsley likes this.
  2. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I remember playing with my matchbox cars in front of the TV while my dad watched Monday Night Football when Howard Cosell made the announcement. Didn't really understand any of it.

longdist01 likes this.
  3. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I truly wish he had. This thread would not exist and John probably would.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
    Joti Cover likes this.
  4. bluejeanbaby

bluejeanbaby Forum Resident

35 years, doesn't seem that long ago...what shocked me the most about his passing is that he died by violence, when he stood so tall for peace. I wonder what his opinion would have been about so many things that have happened since that awful day. I am sure he would have had something to say about a lot of things, and we would have heard!

2141, fer2 and Drifter like this.
  5. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

My skepticism makes me ask:

1. So, Chapman had planned to shoot Lennon, escape capture, stay around NYC, and then nonchalantly stroll in the Booth Theater the next night and shoot Bowie from a front-row seat?
    2. I know Chapman just basically spent hours hanging around the outside of the Dakota for hours on end, but how did he know the Lennon/Ono "leisure-time" schedule so far in advnce? Or, are we supposed to believe that Chapman rolled into NYC, found out this info from someone, and then managed to snag a front-row ticket to a hot Broadway play?

I ask these questions very sincerely because sometimes "facts" get modified after various re-tellings. For example, ""Chapman had considered murdering Bowie andplanned to attend an 'Elephant Man' performance while in NYC" morphed to "Chapman had tickets bought, knew Lennon/Ono's itinerary, and was set to kill Bowie as well."

vitorbastos123 and Vidiot like this.
  6. owsley

owsley Senior Member

Same here. And what made it worse was the Patriots did their usual choke job at the Orange Bowl and snatched defeat from the jaws of victory (kind of like yesterday's meltdown against Philly). I didn't sleep much that night and on my way into work the next day, I heard the radio newscast playing Norwegian Wood. As soon as I heard John and Paul's harmonies, I totally lost it and started crying my eyes out. I had never cried over someone's passing before, including family members.

xilef regnu likes this.
  7. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I thought I'd read that he DID see The Elephant Man. It would be in Jack Jones' book. Maybe I'll check it out.

8. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Tomorrow is a "casual day" at work. Will be in black. Mourning the loss of someone who influenced my life.

9. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

I have no idea. Bowie might've been mistaken about the 3 empty seats? This offers a slightly different take.

"Mark Chapman had seen The Elephant Man during his stay in New York. A program was later found among his belongings. He had also photographed Bowie as he left the theatre that night.

On the 8th December, his plan was to stake out the Dakota building for Lennon, and if that failed he'd head over to the Booth Theatre. He bragged later that he could have killed either of them."

http://www.bowiegoldenyears.com/elephantman.html

mtvgeneration and Shak Cohen like this.
  10. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I felt a pain in my chest and a sinking feeling when I heard the news.

He was a very damaged man, and I like to believe that he reached a place of peace and calm in his last few years. It's easy to blame Yoko Ono for "breaking up the Beatles" and some of her statements, etc, but I think she was a large part of his healing.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  11. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Wondering what Lennon I should spin today...I just cannot listen to Double Fantasy in December so am thinking Walls And Bridges, since I don't associate it with his murder at all.

Shak Cohen, Joti Cover and Jeff Minn like this.
  12. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

Yep, this one still hurts. It's amazing just how much all these years later.

mr._mojo_filter and Drifter like this.
  13. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

I listened to Rubber Soul last night. Tonight I will listen to Help.

14. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I hate this day. I will always hate this day.

15. robargebl

robargebl Forum Resident

On disc 4 of the Lennon box right now. I usually play it just on this day (and in the evening of this day), it's the one with all of the demos and unreleased stuff on it. for me, it kind of conjures up his spirit and seems as if he is actually in the room listening. I know it may sound strange but for some odd reason I always feel that on the evening anniversary of his death.

Drifter likes this.
  16. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I made a huge playlist today of holiday music, plus solo Lennon, Doors, and Allman Brothers music, for multiple commemorations. Usually I just play Lennon/Beatle music on Dec 8 but today I wanted to do something a little different. I think doing the usual would be a bad fit for my current state, so mixing it up is a way to pay tribute and not get too depressed.

It still makes me so sad though....

17. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

A truly sad night, vividly recall the announcement on MNF that mentioned "Lennon being rushed to hospital" and later declared dead.

Does anyone understand premeditated planning, and taking out someone's life??

[​IMG]

18. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Hard to believe it's been 35 years.

19. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Thought about this all day and it still pains my soul. Also thought about losing George and the sadness it brings.

I've been rewatching the Beatles Anthology DVD's so that makes me feel like I'm 'with them'. It's comforting.

broshfab4 likes this.
  20. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

My friends, family and congregation members still understand the significance of that day for me. I am not available unless there is some major crisis as I will be home and dealing with the day, as I always have. The shades are drawn, the lights are dimmed and it's just myself and my Beatles and John Lennon music to get me through. Usually it's a marathon run of these timeless albums which was again the case this year.

It was much much worse that fateful day, of course. I was absolutely devastated, as horrible a feeling as losing a close family member and was non-functional for an extended period of time. So much so that my father had suggested me to see someone about it, but it did eventually subside.

Still, unlike the loss of a parent or grandparent where time seems to heal the wounds, this one never fully healed. Perhaps it's the brutality of the deed or perhaps it's the fact that I am constantly reminded of John's presence with his music, but I don't believe those raw negative feelings will be abated 100%. It changed me forever.

-Richard

Joti Cover and forthlin like this.
  21. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

2016 upon us, usually when I hear the Pearl Harbor news bites I know the 8th is right behind.

RIP John. I still miss you terribly. We all miss you.

22. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

A bottle of scotch this evening, turning down the lights, fire up the turntable and will toast to Mr. Lennon and all the wonderful music you've made for us.

You are still missed terribly!

23. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I've been playing a lot of John lately and I wasn't sure why. It must have been something subconscious telling me this date was upon us again.

Mazzy, Joti Cover and broshfab4 like this.
  24. I hate when this anniversary comes around.

25. Just going through some boxes today.

[​IMG]

Solace likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.