John Lennon (October 9, 1940 – December 8, 1980).

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

2. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I remember it very clearly. I was in bed listening to the radio and I heard it from Vin Scelsa. Then I went downstairs where my dad and brother were watching MNF and they had just heard Cosell announce it.

It was hard to believe something like that could happen. It's still hard to believe it happened but at the time I just couldn't understand how it was possible. It seemed unreal.

Isamet likes this.
  3. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

Listening to the dec. 6/8 interviews creeps my out knowing who is waiting on him down on 72nd St.

Isamet and mrjinks like this.
  4. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Info from Beatle City@Dallas TX-1987.After performing live @dmc in 64 the Dallas Morning News asked John his thoughts on Dallas &the show.John reply was"It was a great time&lot of fun but for some reason I felt....somewhat uncomfortable, I can't put my finger on it.In that crowd of teens a few rows from the stage sat Mark David Chapman.Again info from Beatle City-Dallas TX,1987.
    Note disputers check your Lennon/Beatle facts.Dallas was one the city's picked for a Beatle City tour set up in Dallas for a year I spent many a day there.Not to mention the loan of some of my Lennon memoribelia for the museum.Peace.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  5. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

I was in collage in NYC at the time and skipped out to go to the vigil outside the Dakota with a classmate. It was really numbing.

Knowing that he was somewhere in NY always made the experience a little more special. He had that thing that made you think anything was possible

Love that voice.

Bowie Fett likes this.
  6. samthesham

I have book of matches taken from that room that John had used.My Aunt was a journalist and new my love of John/Beatles and gave it to me.Believe it or not.Peace.

7. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

Learned of his death while watching Monday Night Football. Shocking and tragic. Just days before Lennon's murder, Led Zeppelin (my favorite band) called it quits.

To me, like the JFK assassination was the real "start" of the 60s, the two events during that period in December of 1980 brought in the "official" 80s.

Jimijam likes this.
  8. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

I was 10 and I was getting ready for school on Tues morning on the 9th.
    My dad took me and my 12 year old brother aside and told us the news as if it was a family member.
    It was.

antiqueguy19001 and pseudopod like this.
  9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

heard the news on that dreadful night on WNEW FM...I freaked out! called my best friend.

Price.pittsburgh likes this.
  10. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Remember Howard Cosell reporting news during MNF.

[​IMG]

11. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

John, it is harder, but we live without you in our life. Who you are and what you did lives in the hearts of those who choose to have in their hearts who you are and what you did.
    Peace.

For many reasons, beyond those words I just can't talk about it.

12. samthesham

Kennedys murder,Beatles breakup,Hendrix&ELVIS deaths I learned to live with but this I will never get over the killer is my age from my hometown(Dallas) and went to school right up the road from me.Peace.

Price.pittsburgh likes this.
  13. samthesham

Blessed are the Peacemakers-
    Jesus Christ
    War Is Over(If You Want It)
    John Ono Lennon
    Peace.

longdist01 and Price.pittsburgh like this.
  14. JABEE

JABEE Forum Resident

37 years ago.

I never lived when John was alive.

His murder is still a heartbreaking tragedy that resonates today.

A story playing out over and over again.

15. John Lennon was the first notable public figure whom I mourned. I was eight. His music was so young and vital to me through the Red Album. His age when he died seemed so ancient at the time. Since I've crossed the 40-year barrier, I often think of the life of a family man that was so cruelly and unnecessarily taken from him.

I danced with my mother at my wedding to "Beautiful Boy", chosen by her. My own father passed away earlier this year. He never recovered from this senseless death. Neither have many of us. Time for Imagine. All positive thoughts to Yoko, Julian, and Sean.

16. NothingBrightAboutIt

NothingBrightAboutIt Forum Resident

Reading all this stuff about the other three's reactions is so heartbreaking. I remember reading a Paul interview from years later where he describes how he spent most of the day staring at the TV and crying... what are you supposed to say when something like that happens, especially when there's press waiting outside for you?

RIP John, to say you're missed is an understatement.

DrJ, Maranatha5585 and Bill Why Man like this.
  17. Charlie Z.

Charlie Z. Forum Resident

I was young and asleep before it happened and Howard Cosell told the world on Monday Night Football.. My Mom told me the next morning when I woke up for school and it was as if time slowed to a crawl. She always had a local AM station on her kitchen radio and they played nothing but Beatles music all morning. I hardly ate my breakfast. The news hit me like a ton of bricks and I look back on that moment now as my end of the innocence. A great friend of mine swears to this day that I was crying when I go to school than morning.

I was nine years-old.

18. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

19. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

Miss you John. The world needs you now, more than ever.

Normally I would take this day off but it's a Saturday this time around. I have my scotch and my copy of Imagine Ultimate Collection to keep my company and to get through the day. Each year the impact does not lessen.

20. Danderpet

Danderpet Forum Resident

I was a little boy sitting in front of the TV, with no idea who John Lennon was
    but I remember being so amazed by the broadcast images of grieving fans.
    I knew, whoever it was, he was important and dearly missed.

20 years later, I directed a play about John in New York and the cast went on a pilgrimage to Strawberry Fields in Central Park.
    Not an anniversary, just a random Thursday afternoon- covered in flowers anyway.

21. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Probably still the worst day of my life. I've suffered other losses, but this was so heinous.

22. When I first stood in front of The Dakota and peered through the archway where it happened, I dropped my Ben & Jerry's ice cream bar on the sidewalk.

You know, it was one of those mouth agape situations, or dropping a glass, only in real life.

People gun down other people all the time. No life is more valuable or precious than another. I often think about things like that. Lennon was so beloved, though, by hundreds of thousands, if not millions, that the lose is more acutely felt by his absence.

Perhaps I'm screwed up in the head, but I wish they'd let Chapman out. He'd be gone within a month, and so would the blight he leaves on society by his presence.

Is that overtly harsh?

antiqueguy19001 likes this.
  23. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

The only time I remember radio stations totally changing their formats.
    I don't mean a song here and there but literally playing no other artists for a week or so but Beatles or solo Lennon.
    Weeks later they were still blending Beatles and solo Lennon into the playlists.
    John Lennon will never die.
    His spirit lives in every movement and hope for peace and equality.

jamesmaya and antiqueguy19001 like this.
  24. Michael

so many years gone and I still miss John as if it was yesterday. : (

25. Michael

no, it's called passion... as long as you don't do it...we all can fantasize about that monster...scum of the universe...

EVOLVIST and antiqueguy19001 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.