John Lennon's best Beatle year as a songwriter

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by johnny moondog 909, Mar 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

2. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

I think the quality of 66 and 67 is just as good as 65, but the quantity isn't there.
    Likewise 64 and 68 have a quantity comparable with 65, but I don't think there are as many high quality songs.
    So I guess 1965 is a good choice!

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  3. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

The thing I love about Lennon's 1968 material is that, more than Paul's or George's '68 songs, the whole group recorded the basic tracks. At least it seems that way. I guess I should research that claim.

4. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I'd say that 1965 probably is his best year. 1967 comes close, but, as others have noted, he didn't really write enough that year for it to beat out '65. 1966 had some great songs, too, but he wrote few songs at all, and a lot of the ones he did write were throwaways.

5. Kill Uncle Meat

Kill Uncle Meat Forum Resident

I agree with this. I don't know if it was his best year but he really shines on that album.

6. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Agreed. Bungalow Bill & Revolution 9 aside, all the tracks he did were great. Most of the filler were from the other guys, and Lennon's not even my favorite Beatle.

7. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I don't think John ahad a bad year as a Beatle.
    I would pick 65.
    As a solo artist, I don't think his material has stood the test of time.
    Sadly, I never listen to his solo albums.

8. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

1966 for Tomorrow Never Knows and Strawberry Fields or 1969 for Come Together and I Want You (She's So Heavy) Hard to pick between the two.

9. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan Thread Starter

Well of course it's largely subjective, I suppose we could come back in another 30 years & see which songs are still remembered.

10. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

1965: His material for Help! and Rubber Soul is nothing short of amazing, with a string of classics. His lyrics improved, some of them with confessional themes, and his music became more sophisticated. RS is his peak as a composer for me.

I think that in 1966-67 he declined, probably because of his adventures with LSD (despite some masterpiece like Strawberry Fields or his part in A Day in the Life), he was "only sleeping". In 1968 he recovered for the White Album, but I don't find his material there as compelling. There's already a hint of the self-consciousness that characterized his solo work. Don't get me wrong, he wrote some great songs for that album, I just don't find them as powerful and authentic as his 1965 harvest.

In 1969 his contribution was minimal.

sjaca and johnny moondog 909 like this.
  11. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan Thread Starter

Minimal might be wrong. In 69 he recorded 10 of his Beatles songs including 2- #1 Lennon written hits.

He also released two self written solo hits under the Plastic Ono Band moniker, before anybody knew what that was... Both top 40 hits, & long term classics..

So 69 wasn't Lennon's best year as A Beatle. He had a foot out the door & was focused on Yoko & heroin.. but he still did pretty good.

12. Spear and Magic Helmet

Spear and Magic Helmet Forum Resident

I've always thought "I'll be back" is a song that doesn't garner the praise and consideration it deserves. Very interesting chord change and structure.

blutiga, Tanx and johnny moondog 909 like this.
  13. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

1964 overall for me, though In My Life from '65 was one of his best also. And Run For Your Life! :righton:

jeighson1 likes this.
  14. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

1965. If I am forced to pick one. He was perhaps the first that had a peak year.

15. A well respected man

I meant his contribution to the Beatles was minimal. Only two compositions for the Get Back/Let It Be project (Across the Universe being an old recording and One After 909 a 1963 composition). Then Ballad of J&Y and a few tracks for Abbey Road (the ones in the medley being 1968 compositions), of which Come Together stands out by a mile.

I agree with the people praising his 64 work. He peaked the next year, but the ramp up is really amazing. This would be my Lennon top in the Beatles:

-1966 (including Strawberry Fields)

16. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Arguably doesn't count against him as a songwriter.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Already mentioned Lennon.
    But, I think Let It Album is McCartney's best showcase album for songs.

18. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

best year was '64.

19. A well respected man

To me, Paul's peak year would be 1966. What he did in Revolver is as astonishing as what John did in Rubber Soul. On top of that, add Paperback Writer and Penny Lane.

Pretty.Odd., sjaca and alexpop like this.
  20. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

He dominated the most popular tracks that the Beatles wrote in '63, '64 and '65.

There's a post earlier in this thread about John's 1968 tracks (on the "White Album" + "Hey Bulldog," "Revolution," etc.) essentially being solo Lennon with a backing band -- the same could also be said for almost all of "A Hard Day's Night."

I personally prefer (by a small margin) the 1968 material, but when it comes to being prolific and great, he was on fire in those early years... until a lot of his time was taken up by drugs.

oboogie likes this.
  21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Yeah, there not a equivalent thread for Paul. Agree that was a great year.

A well respected man likes this.
  22. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

23. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

He was quite prolific in '64 with the lion's share of songs on A Hard Day's Night, and the songs are quite remarkable.

24. A well respected man

I agree that he dominated the early years from a composing point of view. But I don't agree at all with the idea that in AHDN it was solo Lennon with a backing band. In those days the group was very tightly united, they all worked on the songs regardless of the composer, there was a much more collaborative atmosphere than in the White Album.

DK Pete likes this.
  25. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Well said. It was a whole other world between those four years.

A well respected man likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.