John mellencamp-1990-present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Matthew Tate, Jul 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident Thread Starter

anyone else feel these albums are overlooked? this is some great stuff and imo most of it is better than his pre 1990 work yet it didn't sell huge numbers or spawn many big hits. I'd say only handful of tunes from this era are known to the classic rock listening public

Hep Alien, 905, Mr. H and 1 other person like this.
  2. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

I don't know much for this time period, maybe the dance Naked album.
    You are right that historically, this period doesn't get as much notice, but there have been some threads here.
    what exactly are your favorite songs and why and please post some examples?

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. Matthew Tate

the songs are harder to pick imo because the albums from this era need to be heard start to finish. albums in the 80's uh-huh, American fool, lonesome jubilee and big daddy have standout songs, usually the singles, that are way better than most of the albums. scarecrow is the exception from his big 80's period as it had 5 big hits plus at least 2 other tunes that have become staples in mellencamps live setlist.

if I was forced to pick some tunes 1990-present I'd say:
    human wheels
    full catastrophe
    your life is now
    longest days
    young without lovers
    someday the rains will fall

that's really just skimming the surface though

Hep Alien likes this.
  4. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

Human Wheels is his best album, and it's a shame that it was overlooked(even if had the best opening sales numbers for his career).

5. Matthew Tate

yes amazing stuff

905 and bataclan2002 like this.
  6. Cherrycherry

I liked "What If I Came Knocking". I believe that he turned a corner with Big Daddy album. That album included "Pop Singer" and you know chorus, I am sure.
    I had heard him in an interview where he said that when he write a song, it is built around one line, maybe he said that only one line mattered.
    Seemed to me that he stopped trying to write anything like a hit.

OptimisticGoat and krock2009 like this.
  7. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

Loved "Whenever We Wanted"
    Liked what I heard of "Dance Naked", very short record.
    Mr. Happy Go Lucky was good effort, if not a little long
    Haven't heard enough of the 1998 self-titled record to judge.

There's also a lost album from 1992 that got shelved after John wasn't satisfied with the results. Two songs "When Jesus Left Birmingham", and "Human Wheels" made it over.

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. Cherrycherry

OK! Good start, post a link for those of us playing at home and don't have any of the later albums, please.

9. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

I personally think that No Better Than This is his best album. At the very least a small step behind Scarecrow.

ego1jr likes this.
  10. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Haven't heard it all from this era but everything i've heard from this era is good. Cuttin heads, Human wheels, Freedom's Road, Life death love and freedom are all enjoyable. Not sure if it's really better than his 80's stuff but he wrote a lot of good songs.

11. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

No Better Than This from about 2010 (or a bit earlier ?) is a great Americana album, particularly if you like mono, T Bone Burnett productions, and tales of the economic, small town, rural lives.

driverdrummer likes this.
  12. Matthew Tate

I'd never heard that

krock2009 likes this.
  13. Matthew Tate

can't access youtube at work right now

14. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

I have Lonesome Jubilee (1987) and Big Daddy (1989)..Which are both superb albums with great audiophile sound quality..Have not heard anything before or after that unfortunately.Can anyone recommend any other albums from his back catalogue that i should own? Thanks

15. Matthew Tate

even though its not the era being discussed here scarecrow is a must own. its his most popular I believe.

enfield likes this.
  16. Mughulla

Mughulla Active Member

I'll stump for "Whenever We Wanted" and "Mr. Happy Go Lucky". "Whenever" is a back to basics kind of record...I thought Big Daddy was kind of weak, so it's a nice palate cleanser for me. "Lucky" is interesting because of the Junior Vasquez influence...nice to see him being pushed a little outside of his comfort zone.

enfield, krock2009 and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. Matthew Tate

the self titled and cutting heads are a little out of his comfort zone too. then he went into the americana/country thing

18. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

For those of you who may not know, this next song was written specifically for Johnny Cash who once called JM one of America's greatest songwriters.

The Full Catastrophe - John Mellencamp »

None other than Dylan called this next song one of the best of the last few years.

longest days - john mellencamp »

Hep Alien, Sean and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

To me Life, Death, Love & Freedom is Mellencamp's best album (and one of the best albums of the last 20 years).

The 1998 self titled album is also very good - definitely on par with Human Wheels and Whenever We Wanted.

Trouble No More, a covers album, is also worth checking out.

20. Human Wheels,Mr Happy Go Lucky and Life Death Love And Freedom are 3 of the best 5 albums of his career.The last named is his greatest album IMHO.

Jackson and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

This song has become a real standout for me on the album, just incredible storytelling, and brilliant lyrics,

22. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I've been listening to what is probably his least appreciated post 90s album ''Cuttin' Heads'', while not among his very best, it is still a very good one. Among the tunes i'm digging are ''Worn Out Nervous Condition'' ''Peaceful World'' and the funky title track, the one where rapper Chuck D takes over for half the song, who else among his contemporaries would even contemplate such a thing, and it works beautifully.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

After the third Columbia outing I jumped shipped for a bit but since returned and found the recent disc thoroughly enjoyable. One of my favorites from WWW.

Jackson likes this.
  24. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

I thoroughly enjoy Cuttin' Heads as an album as a whole. It's not exactly Seargent Pepper's, but it's enjoyable heartfelt music. I think 'Cougar' has put out more good pop music than most people realize, critics and music fans alike. I like him.

Matthew Tate and Jackson like this.
  25. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

If that isn't one of the coolest rock album tracks ever, i don't know what is.:righton:

jeffrey walsh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.