John Waters Polyester

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by stuwee, Jul 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident Thread Starter

Like, dislike?

What are your favorite lines? (I know there's a ton of them :D)

"I've never used macrame to kill before"

"Hurry Franz, Hurry!"

"Because of her drunkeness, both our children are delinquents"

Filmed in Odorama, not to gross, not to cheesy, just right!! My 71 year old mother adores this flick, we saw it at the local indy movie house on the big screen a couple of years ago, they had repo cards made :righton:

Attached Files:

2. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Oh, yeah. I've got both laserdisc and DVD editions of this one (and Pink Flamingos) (both films have different commentary tracks on each format) and scratch n sniff cards in each (which is more than I can say for the betamax tape I bought back in the early 80s).

Not wanting to damage said cards, however, I've never actually scratched either of them. So I can only assume what the smells are supposed to be.

3. stuwee

If you notice in the pic #7 is a lighter shade, that's the only one I scratched, it smelled like gasoline, in fact my buddy scratched all of them at the appropriate times and said they all smelled about the same, but these were cheap repro's so :shrug: about the original ones.

4. mike65!

mike65! Senior Member

This is one of the more bizarre movies I've ever seen, bested only by some of Water's other works. I've got the Criterion LD with the Odorama card intact.

Edith Massey (RIP) is a goddess (of what, I still haven't figured out, but still...:D )!

5. elvotix

elvotix Forum Resident

i have a Polyester scratch-n-sniff card that was autographed by John Waters during an appearance at the Theater of the Living Arts (TLA) in Philly. He was signing "See You In Hell" on everyone's card, but wrote "See You In Heaven" when I told him my friends had a softball team called the Pink Flamingos, named after his film.

we used to provide s-n-s cards for customers who rented Polyester at the TLA's video shops.

6. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Water's movies are always so intense that I can't take it all in. I get a little put-off by the over-obnoxious everything, constantly. Very funny moments in each though. I was for sure pretty well medicated for that one and don't recall specific lines but the card was a hoot and certainly inspired many ticket purchases. As I recall, they didn't really smell too different at the theater either. That might have been best...
    -Bill

7. Never saw it.

8. GregorSamsa

GregorSamsa Forum Resident

:laugh:

I've always been fond of 'I want a Cadillac....a big purple Cadillac...so I can drive around and laugh at poor people." Not to mention the trick or treat scene. :D

Related note, but an Australian single from a decade or so ago sampled this movie to very fun effect:

The Avalanches: Frontier Psychiatrist

9. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Then you'll tear your eyes out after you watch this.
    Perhaps during... Born to be Cheap

:cool:

10. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

It's ok, but Desperate Living far outshines (stinks?) it. No smelly cards needed.

11. mike65!

mike65! Senior Member

Pink Flamingos is perhaps his finest (?) work, and I would refuse a smelly card if it was offered!

...how much is that doggy in the window...:hurl:

12. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

i think Polyester is Waters' Magnum Opus. I saw it when it first came out and thought it was only OK. Then I was exposed to a few years of Jerry Springer, Maury and reality TV. After that I saw the film again and realized how brilliant it really was. It somehow had become much funnier to me.

13. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Not my favorite Waters film, but I like it a lot.

14. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I've seen about 7 of John Waters' films, and this was one of them.... but I can't recall anything about it... :shrug:

15. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I really enjoyed Cry Baby! a wild ride indeed.:)

17. stuwee

Hey thanks for those limks guys!! Great stuff :righton:. I got to meet Glenn Milstead aka 'Divine' several times and what a nice down to earth guy with a wicked sense of humor he was R.I.P. sir :wave:, a brilliant performer, the world is a sadder place without him :cry::cry::cry:

18. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

I like it, but don't really love it. It has some very funny lines. I particularly like the Elmer Fishpaw and La Rue (Francine's mother) characters.

19. Ready Steady Go

Ready Steady Go Active Member

I remember seeing it in L.A. when it first came out - the Odorama card was a fun twist - but it ended up distracting me. Sort of "audience participation gone wrong." And some of the smells were gross to say the least. But Divine gave it his all portraying the put-upon Francine. Hmm, might be worth revisiting - on an empty stomach.

20. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I saw it when it came out and loved it at the time, it was great in the theater with the cards and an enthusiastic audience. But I've never seen it since (I generally don't rewatch movies, with very few exceptions). My favorite Waters movie was Cecil B Demented.

21. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

I've actually never seen it, though I want to. I love Pink Flamingos, Female Trouble, and Hairspray, though I hate Cry-Baby and never really got on board with Pecker.

22. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Pecker's my least-favorite by a wide margin. Hairspray was kind of a pale, watered-down version of what I expect from Waters. But Cry-Baby rocks!

Is he ever gonna make another movie? Last I heard was the all-kids film he was planning, but that was years ago! Around the time of the season five episode of 'The Wire' where the newspaper reporter assumes that it's a big news story that a new John Waters movie is filming in Baltimore...

23. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Is this the one where Edith Massey tried to slip into a far too small, glamorous evening gown, and tore it open?

I've seen it, but it's been a long time.

24. stuwee

Yes it is, and Divine, suffering from a hangover vomits in her purse in the dressing area :D

Riiiiiiip! "Godamn these designers!" ~ Edith....*burp**hic**hic*:idea::hurl: ~ Divine :biglaugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.