John Wesley Harding: Where does it rank in your favorite or least favorite Dylan releases?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by greenoort, Jan 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greenoort

greenoort Forum Resident Thread Starter

Post Blonde on Blonde Dylan (besides Blood and Self Portrait) is a new area for me. My brother recommended that I listen to Nashville Skyline from 69' and John Wesley Harding from 67'. Nashville Skyline is pretty good, I enjoy country Dylan it seems, since I really enjoy the country moments on Self Portrait as well. I really enjoy the lyrics on John Wesley Harding as well as the overall 'sound' of it all. very naked and stripped back, I have the SACD and the bass really booms on this. It's interesting reading about the time this album came out, Dylan being basically unaffected by Psychedelia which was dominating popular and some underground rock music at the time. I've only sunken my teeth into this album for a few days so I cant give a big opinion about it, but I'd agree with the statement that its 'underrated', a very nice sounding but very lyrically interesting Dylan album. It feels like Bob is performing this for you in your house or something. I could see myself listening to this in a snowstorm.

2. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

I can listen to JWH in any kind of weather, preferably a warm sunny afternoon. Anyway, it's my favorite Dylan album next to Blonde On Blonde.

Revolver, Clonesteak, dbsea and 4 others like this.
  3. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

My top5 perhaps top3

polchik, jdrueke, bluejimbop and 3 others like this.
  4. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

In my top ten Dylan list.

5. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Easily one of my favorites.

6. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

My 2nd favourite.......Desire is first.

thematinggame, ralphb97 and Kevin j like this.
  7. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

One of my all-time favorites. I've almost certainly listened to this album more times than Blonde on Blonde. The mellow vibe and the cryptic lyrics just make it a perfect piece of work for me.

DTK, Blue Cactus, giantleech and 2 others like this.
  8. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

With the size of Dylan's catalog, you don't do rankings; you group into tiers and John Wesley Harding is definitely a 1st tier album.

a customer, Stu02, piepants and 20 others like this.
  9. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I read something not that long ago (it may be old news to others) where Bob said something along the lines of, after his motorcycle crash (i.e. after Blonde on Blonde), he stopped writing "throwaway lines" in his songs and tried to make every line count. I take that to mean goofy lines like "Jewels and binoculars hang from the head of the mule" or "The sun's not yellow, it's chicken". While a lot of the material on JWH may not superficially make sense any more than either of those two lines, it certainly sounds (to me) like it's about something important, even if I have no idea what that is. Part of the mystery and majesty of this album.

10. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Easily top 5. Didn't Greil Marcus say something about JWH akin to "this is what rock and roll would have sounded like before Elvis Presley"?

I kinda like that, even if he didn't.

11. aeo12

aeo12 Forum Resident

I bought JWH shortly after it first came out and it's been in regular rotation for 50 years. With the rest of Dylan's catalogue, I'll binge on one era for awhile, then switch to another era, then switch again. But JWH always gets played regularly. So I guess it's at or near the top of my list.

12. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

It’s just there. I dont hate it, but never connected with it. I try every year or two but not yet.

dirtymac, fmfxray373, yarbles and 7 others like this.
  13. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

I like the album but in no way consider it one of his major works.

14. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Fourth favorite Dylan album and fourth favorite album of all time.

mark ab and ifyouever like this.
  15. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

It wasn't until this album Dylan became really good.

16. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Top ten. Maybe top five. Hmmm...difficult. What a superb album. I don't really like his voice THAT much but I really like the craft that that has gone into this album. A "master at work" seems an apt phrase.

17. CBS CLASH 3

CBS CLASH 3 Forum Resident

1 BotT
    2 BIABH
    3 H61R
    4 BoB
    5 JWH

For many other artists it would be his/her best.

PonceDeLeroy likes this.
  18. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Top 10, maybe Top 5 for me. Anyway, classic album with a great vibe.

BIABH, H61R, BoB and BotT cemented in my top 4 with no. 5 undecided.

All Down The Line likes this.
  19. In the top 5 Dylan albums for me, especially in mono.

All Down The Line likes this.
  20. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

I'm not a fan. The way his voice was auto-tuned and the Kanye West rap about the 'Drifter's Escape' was terrible.
    Bob shouldn't try to update his sound with gimmicky appearances by Justin, Coldplay, Bono, Adele and Lady Gaga.
    Although his duet with James Hetfield on 'I'll Be Your Baby Tonight' was spectacular.

21. I bought it soon after it was released, I believe my second Dylan album and I was disappointed with it compared to my first, Highway 61 Revisited. Now I might place it in my top 10 Dylan albums, not top 5, it is a very good album.

snepts likes this.
  22. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Never was a favorite. I don't hate it, I just find it relatively forgettable.

Dave Thompson, ted321, Wugged and 4 others like this.
  23. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

24. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

For me, it ranks below

Highway 61 Revisited
    Blonde On Blonde
    Blood On The Tracks
    Infidels
    Bringing It All Back Home

at #6.

But my rankings are fluid. Tomorrow it all might shuffle.

25. webmatador

webmatador Friend Of The People

I'd rather listen to Infidels than JWH. Perhaps some day I'll see the light.

jeffrey walsh and Jimmy B. like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.