John Zorn's Masada - Book 1, Book 2 and Beyond...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jeff Kent, Feb 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident Thread Starter

I see this series popping up in a lot of other threads, but I didn't see one of its own. Some background on Book 1 and Book 2:

Masada Book 1: 10 studio volumes (and one studio outtakes) plus 6 live albums by the lineup below.

John Zorn (alto), Dave Douglas (trumpet), Greg Cohen (bass), Joey Baron (drums)

"The project for Masada was to create something positive in the Jewish tradition something that maybe takes the idea of Jewish music into the 21st century the way jazz developed from the teens and 1920s into the '40s, the '50s, the '60s and on ... My initial idea was to write a hundred tunes. And then I ended up writing over 200 for the first book and then performed it countless time for years."

Masada Book 2: 31 volumes by multiple artists.

"After 10 years of performing the first book, I thought 'Maybe it'd be nice to write some more tunes.' And I wrote 300 more tunes. When I started writing those it was 'Let's see if I can write a hundred songs in a month this time.' I've been working on these scales and playing these tunes all this time. In the back of my head somewhere are lodged all kinds of new ideas. Let's see if I can come up with 100 tunes in a month instead of in a year. So in the first month, I popped out a hundred tunes; the second month, another hundred; in the third month, a third 100 tunes. I had no idea that was going to happen."

Discography to date:

Masada
    Studio Recordings

Live Recordings

Masada String Trio
    Bar Kokbha
    Electric Masada
    Anniversary Series
    Book 2: The Book of Angels

2. Rob C

Rob C Forum Resident

I LOVE this music. I especially love the Book of Angels series. I have a little more than half of the BOA discs. I happen to be listening to the Uri Caine entry for the first time right now, which is what led me to search and find this thread. Thanks for starting it. I'd love to see some discussion about Zorn and the various Masada projects. It's truly great stuff, some of my favorite music ever.

audiotom, Ha Ha Man and Beamish13 like this.
  3. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Great thread, thank you for taking the time to lay everything out. Huge fan of this stuff!

First got into Zorn via Mike Patton in the late-nineties/early-2000s. First Masada disc I bought was Live in Tapei 1995, at a Tower Records which used to be near my college. For the past six or seven years, especially, I've absolutely loved The Dreamers. Sure, some may say it's probably some of Zorn's most "accessible" music, but, as I get older, some of the earlier , maybe more experimental Zorn stuff I used to swear by has fallen into the background for me a bit, while I find that The Dreamers albums just keep getting better and better with age. Such an incredible ensemble of musicians. What a fantastic band.

Merrick, Ha Ha Man and Rob C like this.
  4. Samson7

Samson7 Forum Resident

Wow. I had completely forgotten about John Zorn. I went to their 1993 show in Norman, OK. I was very high and was completely blown away. One of the most electrifying concerts I had ever seen. I looked it up and it's on you tube! I will re watch this to see how my reaction might change.

dennis the menace and oneway23 like this.
  5. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Have them all except Angels 29 and 30. One day I'll find a copy of the original pressing of Masada Dalet, in mint condition, for a reasonable price and relief will wash over me as the sun shines on a dark shadow.

There's also the live Masada DVD 'Live At Tonic 1999' (TZ 3003, 2004) and an unauthorized release that shall not be mentioned by name, lest bad things happen.

6. Ha Ha Man

Ha Ha Man I am a scientist

Big fan of both Zorn and Marc Ribot here. Saw the then-unnamed Dreamers ensemble perform The Gift downtown at Tonic and it was the most beautiful thing we'd ever heard. Shortly thereafter saw Electric Masada blow the doors off the place. We walked out of there with our hair blown back feeling like we'd seen and heard something completely unique and exhilarating. When you plug into something like that you feel more alive.

audiotom likes this.
  7. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

I got into Zorn decades ago, via the CD artwork, it looked a good deal more interesting than 99% of the other CDs for sale. Thankfully, that's continued, with Chippy Design doing the art. A fine example is the new Simulacrum CD, The Garden of Earthly Delights.

I have all ten of the Masada studio CDs (bought 'em new) and the 50th Birthday Celebration Volume 7. I have The Circle Maker, Masada String Trio 50th Birthday Celebration Volume 1, and Bar Kokhba Sextet, 50th Birthday Celebration Volume 11. I have the two Electric Masada CDs. but only eight of the Book of Angels CDs (2, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 19, and 20 -- and I may have to get 28, Nova Express is fantastic).

8. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Completely envious...what an experience that must have been!

Got to see Zorn/Patton/Mori at the Knitting Factory after a Mr. Bungle show at Irving Plaza in 1999. They were good, but, it would've been nearly impossible for anything to top Bungle for me around that time.

Realized I'm going a bit off-topic there, so, I'll swing back 'round. What are some of the best Book II releases to get after 2010? The last one I got was the Masada String Trio...Thanks!

9. Rob C

Rob C Forum Resident

Of the more recent ones that I have heard, I especially dig the Zion80, Spike Orchestra and Nova Express records.

Marzz, Hot Ptah and oneway23 like this.
  10. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

Since you like Mr. Bungle . . .

oneway23 and gd0 like this.
  11. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Thanks for putting together this tribute

Love John Zorn's projects except some of the shredder metal stuff

The Book of Angels are sublime

Cellist Erik Friedlander is my favorite discovery
    His outside solo work just as great

The ever expanding cd racks end with Zorn
    Seems like 3 a month

oneway23 likes this.
  12. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

That'll most certainly work...much obliged!

Nycademon likes this.
  13. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Yah, Xaphan is tremendous, easily in the top 3 BOAs. Check out Secret Chiefs 3 on their own as well, strong stuff.

I can't afford the entire catalog; Zorn is prolific, to understate grossly. It's a wondrous catalog to explore. Even if you do a mild Amazon preview, you never know exactly what you're gonna get on any given release. Certainly, the over-the-top hyperbolic descriptions on the "obi" strips are no help. And yes, the cover art is glorious; sacred and profane.

The musicians orbiting around Zorn are nothing less than world class, with impressive catalogs of their own.

I saw a couple shows when he did a residency here a few years back. One was Masada String Trio, tight and artful. The other was a Cobra assembly with about 20 all-stars on stage, Zorn conducting – that is, when the musicians weren't conducting right back back at him!

Coincidentally spun Electric Masada / At The Mountains Of Madness last night. That'un gets my highest recommendation.

oneway23 and Nycademon like this.
  14. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

Electric Masada is ferocious, and an astonishingly tight band, given the number of musicians, and the complexity of the material.

Back to Book of Angels, I'd add Tap (Volume 20) and Asmodeus (Volume 7) as extremely strong recommendations. I reviewed Tap on Amazon, I think it's a brilliant collaboration (with Pat Metheny, of all people! :agree:).

Asmodeus has Marc Ribot on guitar, Trevor Dunn on bass, and G. Calvin Weston on drums. They rock, it's like a lean version of Electric Masada (which makes sense since both Ribot and Dunn were in Electric Masada).

oneway23 likes this.
  15. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Tap is a stunner! Never underestimate Metheny; he does all kinds of stuff.

I like Asmodeus too; rough stuff.

High marks also for Amon (Klezmerson), Andras (Nova Express), Balan (Crakow Klezmer Band), Caym (Cyro Baptista).

Another stunner would be Orobas as interpreted by multi-instrumentalist Koby Israelite.

It seems after the original Masada, and before BOA, Zorn sorta wandered his way into having others interpret these focused compositions. Great collections can be found on The Unknown Masada and also Voices In The Wilderness. This is the kind of development that has made an already eclectic catalog extremely rich.

Not sure exactly where Bar Kokhba and Circle Maker / Issachar fall in the timeline, but these are works in a similar vein, and should not be missed.

And we haven't even touched on Naked City, Filmworks, his Japanoise experiments, the female voice works, and various surf/exotica excursions.

The catalog is an adventure to say the least.

Jimbino likes this.
  16. Jeff Kent

I had seen Zorn's name on the first Mr. Bungle album, but didn't really know who he was. Not long after I was jamming at a friend's house in NH and his Dad played us the first self titled Naked City album. My friend worked in a local record store and wouod buy two copies of each Zorn import on Avant, one for me and one for him. I moved to NYC in the spring of 1993 just in time for Zorn's month long residency at the original Knitting Factory. Preceding the shows he did two days of interviews on WKCR. He played a tape of the 'very first Masada gig.' It wasn't the band with Dave and Joey though. If memory serves it was Mike Sarin on drums and Marc Ribot on guitar along with Zorn and Greg Cohen. I have a tape of the broadcast somewhere. On one of the days they took call in questions and I got to ask him if he ever wanted to play with Frank Zappa. It was a surreal experience because while living in NH Zorn was this faceless musical entity and here I was a few months later speaking to him on the phone.

I saw 5 shows during that run: News For Lulu, Spy vs. Spy, Duo with Fred Frith, an improv night and one of the 'final' Naked City shows.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  17. Jeff Kent

I went to the Masada Marathon at City Opera in 2011. I won tickets from Relix magazine and was sitting behind J. G. Thirlwell. If you're a Mr. Bungle fan it's interesting to note that Mike Patton,. Trevor Dunn and Trey Spruance were all sharing the same stage.

MASADA MARATHON - THE BOOK OF ANGELS

Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 8:00 p.m.

Masada Quartet:
    John Zorn, saxophone
    Dave Douglas, trumpet
    Greg Cohen, bass
    Joey Baron, drums
    Mark Feldman, violin and Sylvie Courvoisier, piano

Banquet of Spirits
    Cyro Baptitsta, percussion
    Brian Marsella, keyboard
    Tim Keiper, drums
    John Lee, bass
    Jason Fraticelli, bass

Mycale
    Basya Schechter, voice
    Ayelet Gottlieb, voice
    Malika Zarra, voice
    Sofia Koutsovitis, voice

Medeski, Martin and Dunn
    John Medeski, keyboards
    Billy Martin, drums
    Trevor Dunn, drums

Bar Kokhba
    Mark Feldman, violin
    Erik Friedlander, cello
    Marc Ribot, guitar
    Greg Cohen, bass
    Joey Baron, drums
    Cyro Baptista, percussion

INTERMISSION

Secret Chiefs 3
    Trey Spruance, guitars
    Timb Harris, violin
    Jai Young Kim, keyboards
    Jason Schimmel, guitar
    Trevor Dunn, bass
    Ches Smith, drums
    Erik Friedlander, solo cello

The Dreamers
    Marc Ribot, guitar
    Kenny Wollesen, vibes
    Jamie Saft, keyboards
    Trevor Dunn, bass
    Joey Baron, drums
    Uri Caine, solo piano

Masada String Trio
    Mark Feldman, violin
    Erik Friedlander, cello
    Greg Cohen, bass

Electric Masada
    John Zorn, saxophone
    Mike Patton, vocals
    Marc Ribot, guitar
    Jamie Saft, keyboards
    Trevor Dunn, bass
    Kenny Wollesen, vibes
    Joey Baron, drums
    Ikue Mori, electronics

audiotom, Merrick and Rob C like this.
  18. Rob C

Rob C Forum Resident

Wow, that lineup is amazing.

19. I have all of the very first ten (10) studio albums (took a while to find them all back in the day! - in actual record stores, no less, many of them used copies, iirc). But I never got any farther than that (too many to keep up with).

Brilliant writing, and fantastic playing.

Jim Duckworth likes this.
  20. Jeff Kent

I remember the big mystery with Dalet(4) when it was only available via mail order. It's not as long as the other studio volumes. One summer at a Jazz festival in NYC the Knitting Factory had a table and they were selling Dalet, so I grabbed one feeling like I was getting away with something scandalous.

Do you know what the differences are between the first pressing (June 1995) and the regular retail version (1997)? I'm going to assume I have the 1997 version.

21. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

For the Masada experts: if you had to pick 2 or 3 albums to get, either studio or live, which ones would you recommend?

22. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

I love Zorn and have several of the Masada releases, but I'll admit I haven't listened to any of his work in some time. I need to rectify that.

23. james

james Summon The Queen

impressive

I'm no expert, but Live in Sevilla 2000 is one of my favorite live albums

jay.dee likes this.
  24. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

They're the exact same disc, just with a different catalog number on the cover and label. Presumably just to drive collectors mad.

The first edition was DIW S3. The second edition was DIW 923.

25. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

My reactions to the Book of Angels series. I have them all and have played them often in recent years. Well, Volume 30 was just released and my copy is being shipped to me now.

Book 2: The Book of Angels

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.