Johnny Carson Returns: Antenna TV to Air Full ‘Tonight Show’ Episodes

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Aug 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Being most familiar with the Manilow version, was that his decision to make it "I Sing The Songs" because he was a performer more than a writer?

Or have others done this version?

2. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I'd guess you're right, plus don't forget they removed the 'rock and roll' part in the bridge.

MikaelaArsenault, Bob F and tonyc like this.
  3. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I believe it was Sinatra's invention. I'm unaware of anyone else who used that lyric change.

4. cathandler

cathandler Senior Member

Reportedly Dave wasn't happy that Teri had cooperated with Bill Carter on his book The Late Shift about the transition from Carson to Leno and Letterman going to CBS after losing out on the Tonight Show gig.
    Letterman invites Teri Garr back - finally »

Jrr and tonyc like this.
  5. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Interesting. I guess my initial comment stumbled into the truth after all.

6. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Thank you so much for posting that clip. It is so incredibly sad that talk shows have changed so much. And there was so much respect for true talent back then. It just isn't the same anymore. And you look at them, and how important they were to us, and how important all those guys were to each other, and now they are almost all gone. Kinda shows how life goes from that...to nothing, as if that whole gang were never here except for reruns. So glad we have those. I own the big DVD set plus the Vault Series (can't recommend the Vault sets highly enough)! The longer he's gone, and the more you see him in action, the more you understand all who say he was truly the best.

7. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Last night was the classic Johnny and Doc bit talking about Thanksgiving. Doc was on such a roll Johnny even asked if he could have some of what he was having. And Doc said no but I can sell some of it to you. I never saw that part before. I noticed whatever Johnny had planned went out the window.

You never know when magic is going to happen.

8. Grayswandir

Grayswandir Forum Resident

I have become addicted to the Johnny Carson show. I was too young to watch in the 70's and early 80's so all those are new to me.

I really prefer the 90 minute shows, really gives everyone a chance to breathe, have great discussions with news personalities and authors, and not have to rush through the interview.

My favorite thing to do while watching is pausing and looking up the topics on Wikipedia. Johnny mentions something in the monologue and I read up on it. Sort of makes me feel omniscient. Ahh Johnny you haven't even seen the craziest things that are going to happen with Nixon. Guess what, your buddy Reagan is gonna be doing some interesting things in a couple years. I love looking up actors and seeing how the movie they are pitching actually does at the box office. Where are they in their career, when do they die.

These "complete" shows are perfect time capsules and I hope they keep showing them for years to come. And for any Carson Production people reading - yes, I've gone out and purchased all the available full episode DVDs. Make more please, I need my fix of Johnny.

9. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

I saw that episode too and was a great reminder how much the format has changed. You wouldn't find such an exchange on any show today. A moment like that you'd maybe find on a podcast but not on TV.

rburly and Benno123 like this.
  10. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

The format has been degraded to yelling, singing, fake laughing, keep that energy up and playing a game with each guest. I can't stand the yelling back and forth that so many people seem to enjoy.

Keith V, Benno123 and MRamble like this.
  11. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Yup. It's basically a daytime gameshow now--that is if they're not focused heavily on politics/news which is my main issue. Some people say that the format needed to evolve into the more news-based style. I don't agree completely. Sure the format could have branched as a spinoff format but replacing it entirely? Carson's episodes remind us that there is also a lot to be said about the art of conversation and getting to know people on a less superficial level. And Carson would have people from all walks of life not just Hollywood people. A truly well-rounded show. Talk shows today are basically sitcoms.

Stuart S, Benno123 and rburly like this.
  12. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

One thing I'll say about the Carson show and the Fallon edition:
    They both had GREAT bands! It's too bad we don't get to hear Doc's band in the current reruns. A remarkable band!

13. rburly

Exactly. I really enjoyed Johnnie's 90 minute show. It seemed more relaxed and there were times when they talked about nothing. But the way they said things, just being goofy or silly or just having fun, was part of the humor.

I know some people are thinking, "These old guys reminiscing about stuff that probably never happened." But anyone who saw him or his show from an earlier period, can identify what we're talking about. I suppose Fallon Kimmel and Colbert were "the best talk shows ever." If people haven't seen Steve Allen or Jack Paar, they have no frame of reference to talk about, certainly with Johnny, but everyone who's followed.

14. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Interesting show last night with Ed Sullivan the surprise guest introduced unwrapped as Frankenstein in a Mighty Carson Art Players sketch.

I guess that was his last appearance on the show.

15. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

The James Garner interview segment was good too.

16. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I happened to catch the end of last nights episode, where he was uncharacteristically grilling some author who had written a book about the Tonight show with some dubious inferences e.g. Johnny backstage holding a glass of clear liquid (vodka? suggested the author). You could see Johnny really walking a fine line between being professional and diplomatic and going after the guy. It was quite interesting, Johnny at the edge of breaking character.

17. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Yes, that was interesting. I thought the author attempted to make a good point at the end by saying "Thank you for talking to me now about the book".

MRamble and Silver Surfer like this.
  18. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Love Is Understanding

I thought Johnny actually did break character. The examples Johnny cited as incorrect (his aloofness, drinking and salary) all have proven these many years later to have been pretty much spot on. James Garner and Bruce Dern and the author were all excellent guests. It was a big surprise to me to see Ed Sullivan, but I thought his interview was a little rough; he got two segments as well.

This amazing episode is on a Tonight Show Christmas DVD (complete with two other episodes all featuring original commercials!) only available as part of a larger purchase from Time-Life. It steams me because I already own the Vault and Featured Guests series and won't pay for second copies of the sets just to get that one disc. Great episode, though!

MRamble likes this.
  19. MidnightRocks

MidnightRocks Forum Resident

I'm always intrigued by the Roger Moore guest host episodes. Does anyone remember them?

20. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Yeah as he was grilling the author I kept thinking: "well, John, you kind of brought this onto yourself, didn't you?" It became a bit much to have both Gardner and Carson team up on him--seemed a little like an ambush.

Carson also seemed to really adore Sullivan. He seemed very respectful and seemed to hold him in very high regard like his idol Jack Benny.

21. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Another winner with last night with Bob Hope, Dean Martin and Charles Nelson Reilly. I wish all these years later they could run these episodes uncensored.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  22. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

When Johnny launched into "The leg bone is connected to the..." song and they all joined him as he danced off stage.....great moment.

MikaelaArsenault and rburly like this.
  23. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

One of my favorite monologues, on tonight. Funny stuff...

24. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

^ If that doesn't make you laugh, you don't have an empathetic bone in your body.

Carson was never better than when he was bombing.

25. rburly

Unfortunately, I turned over late to the show and only caught George Plimpton (missed Adrienne Barbeau :love:) and they were discussing football and player motivations and his new book that was out. Just listening to them discuss their thoughts and ideas about football was very intriguing. Love the show still.

Scopitone likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.