Johnny Carson Returns: Antenna TV to Air Full ‘Tonight Show’ Episodes

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Aug 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I loved the show but it didn't look very good here. I noticed lots of digital artifacts on KTLA 5.2. Many of their shows used to look like this but lately it seemed like they were looking better. Hopefully things will improve, but I'll still watch.

2. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan Thread Starter

Also to note with music clearances are the intro songs Doc and the band play for each guest...wonder if those will get replaced.

3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yup...Each and every note anyone sings or plays has to be cleared. It's a PITA, not to mention costly. They might be able to trim around a lot of the intro/exit music. But sometimes the band would strike up right in the middle of a conversation (typically cued for a laugh). That's gonna be harder to edit out seamlessly.

4. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Another thumbs up here for the first episode. I was surprised to see a talk-show host working Jan. 1 (1982), as I think all the current shows played reruns last night. Looking forward to tonight's episode.

5. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Olivia Newton John was on Johnny Carson a few times so they won't be airing her music performances?

6. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

You always wonder about shows where they make jokes about members of the Presidential cabinet from 34 years ago. I'm old enough to remember them but would a 3o year old? On the other hand, the psychic predictions worked better because we know things like Bo Derek leaving John for Marlon Brando didn't happen. But the "Brooke Shields quits Hollywood to become a financial advisor" didn't quite deserve the eye roll Carson gave it. In 1983 Shields went to Princeton to get a degree in French Literature.

7. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Carson has been off for over 20 years now, so would many 30 year olds watch it as Carson left when they were 10? I'm thinking this is for 40 year olds and up. If they get enough boomers watching nightly, Antenna TV will be very happy.

They certainly have never put any show on that has garnered this much interest and discussion.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  8. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

That younger demographic has more than enough junk to watch. :rolleyes:

This is for middle-aged and ups, I would think.

tribby2001, Thwacko and Zep Fan like this.
  9. dirwuf

He wasn't working New Years, they taped extra eps a week or two earlier to run over the holiday break....

10. Monosterio

That sneak! So then they were just pretending. I found it odd he would be hosting on the first of the year.

Oh well, I won't be watching any more of this now...

;)

11. dirwuf

I recall hearing that Don Rickles' theme "La Virgen De La Macarena" was edited out of a previous Carson home video release.....

12. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

I remember in the mid 70s Carson commented on how much his teenage son liked watching 20 year old reruns of Groucho Marx's "You Bet Your Life". So when you put some old stuff on the airwaves, you never know who will watch it. Look at the Three Stooges, Gilligan's Island or the Brady Bunch. Topical humor can make you look edgy and modern when you do it but can get out of date real fast.

Am I the only one who is surprised that Doc Severinson is still alive at 88 and has tour dates in 2016? Good for him!

13. Tedster

Tedster Forum Resident

It's just criminal what modern editing has done. Many programs are unwatchable, if not seizure-inducing via flicker vertigo. Even shows that are theoretically of interest to older folks - showing historical places or artifacts jump around so fast it's pathetic. Thought about maybe recording them and playing back in slow motion, it's that bad. Oh well.

Jerry Horne and jsayers like this.
  14. dirwuf

I apologize, I hadn't watched the ep before posting that...obviously not true, as Johnny refers to a particular Rose Parade float. He DID work on New Years Day!

Monosterio likes this.
  15. Monosterio

That slave driver! :winkgrin:

rburly likes this.
  16. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

I NEVER watched the Johnny Carson show for the musical guests that he was having on. In fact, the most enjoyable music I ever heard on the show was when they allowed Doc and the band to be aired performing full songs...

AKA and Spaghettiows like this.
  17. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Huh? No comprendo nada. Why is everyone on the forum lately talking about age so much? I just wanted to know if the music was deleted or kept in the show.

Lost In The Flood and OldSoul like this.
  18. AKA

AKA Senior Member

19. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I was replying to the comment that today's younger viewing audience wouldn't "get" the references, etc. on the show. That's understandable and for many, I hope irrelevant. :agree:

20. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

I went to a taping in '85 (Joan Rivers was the guest host). I was shocked when the band stopped cold in the middle of a musical phrase the second the cameras went off! Eh, it's a job....

21. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

I remember watching that! It was (and still is) great! Thanks for the memory-jog.,...

AKA likes this.
  22. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

23. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

24. AKA

AKA Senior Member

25. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

Not only is Doc still around he is playing better than ever, his horizons wider than before. He lives here in Tennessee.

Sadly we cut the cord last year and can't get this ota.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.