Johnny Cash : Rest In Peace

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lennonfan, Sep 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Togo

Togo Same as it ever was

A man of dignity, grace and style.

RIP Johnny....you will not be forgotten!

2. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I wonder how many other artists will achieve a 50 year career. I read an interview with Rick Rubin a week or so ago that said they had finished American 5 & had plans of a box set of unreleased tracks from the American series. Music was his life and he kept producing great music until his death. He will be remembered & admired for a very long time.

3. Mark H

Mark H Senior Member

To "The Man in Black" I wish you peace and happiness with June, the love of your life. Your music and your legacy will never be forgotten. A man's man if ever I saw one. R.I.P.

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Man I heard the news the other way around. I heard about Cash first, Ritter second. A double whammy!

A sad day, indeed.

I played some Cash songs in my head this morning and thought about all the great music he made. And, I thought about all the things he stood for in music.

At least we still have his music.

5. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Very Sad:(

RIP and thank you for all the great music.

6. jroyen

jroyen Forum Resident

Bye, Johnny. RIP

7. aceman400

aceman400 Power to the Metal

I guess we can take comfort in that we had him for as long as we did and that his music lives on.

Aaron

8. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

A great, great artist. I regret I never saw him perform live.
    Rest in peace, Johnny.

9. Chiron

Chiron Active Member

Country music will never be the same, officially...

R.I.P. Johnny :(

10. StrawberryFields

StrawberryFields Active Member

Truly sad....Johnny was so much more than a country singer. His statements have crossed over many boundaries. Even the song "40 Shades of Green" (written about Ireland) has become a standard in Irish music (The Irish Tenors recorded it recently). A decent man and a great talent. RIP, Johnny.

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

:( RIP John and Johnny...

12. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

That says it all, Fred. That says it all. It's a tribute to this Forum that I knew I had to come here to find friends to grieve with, and that many of those friends would say things so true they'd break my heart and help the healing begin. I thank you for those beautiful words.

When I was talking to a colleague today who shared this bitter pain with me, we agreed that our own sense of loss is made even stronger by the suspicion that we may not be growing giants the way we used to--in American or in the world. That's another reason it hurts so much to lose one. This one hurts more than most. It's almost like having a parent die, cause Johnny helped raise us all. And like a parent's death, this one leaves us feeling like we're on our own.

13. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

:(

Too many deaths this week. Rest in Peace, Johnny.

Gary :(

14. Matt

Matt New Member

I was thinking of wishing George Jones a happy birthday today, too. If there was a Mt. Rushmore for country music, George and Johnny would definitely be on it. I can't country without either.

15. Chiron

Chiron Active Member

Well, in respect for Mr. Cash, I may go out and buy "The Essential" comp, the "American Recordings 4" and "Folsom Prison" albums tomorrow, as I don't have any Cash albums but love(d) the man anyway. :cry:

16. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member Thread Starter

all great choices. The Fabulous Johnny Cash, his first for Columbia and recently reissued with bonus tracks is also a great one.

17. Just dialed up Much More Music (Canada's VH1). They're running the Johnny Cash tribute concert. June is singing "Ring Of Fire" right now. Hard to watch.

18. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

What a sad day. I had the privilege of seeing him in concert in 1981; he was awesome.

19. Matt

Matt New Member

If you can, get the three CD Essential Johnny Cash, not the two CD one. The former is definitive, and if you find the jewel-case size version, the sound is top-notch (though a few minor tracks have been mastered in better sound in recent years, due to better sources).

20. michael w

michael w New Member

Attached Files:

21. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

One amazing man, one amazing musical career. Johnny rest in peace.

22. Elton

Elton I Hope Being Helpful, Will Make Me Look Cool

I will forever remember seeing him at the Concert to open the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. He stood center stage and sang Ring of Fire. That man was everything that is rock, and just a little cooler. He was the closest thing to seeing Elvis, but I'm glad that I saw JOHNNY (f****ing) CASH!:cool:

We will miss him, but he's with June, and that is a Good Thing.

23. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member Thread Starter

I hope the state of TN does something special for him, if anyone deserves it, he does.
    I imagine the guestlist at the services will see some legendary names, I only wish it would be televised (as June's funeral was locally) since I can't be there in person, I will be there in spirit. I've spent quite some time today playin' my Johnny C.....he'll always be part of the landscape around here.

24. b&w

b&w Forum Resident

Like all great musical artists, or any artists for that matter, and have no doubt this man was an artist, they leave the legacy of their work. What an amazing recording legacy this man has left music listeners. How many people he touched with his music, how many emotions he brought forth, across nationalities and generations. Truly remarkable in his focus and energy every time he sang. With respect to Mr. Cash, he "walked the line" EXACTLY and UNCOMPROMISINGLY like he wanted, for his whole musical career. That can be said of so few musical artists. He will be very much missed.

25. Tim Wright

Tim Wright New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.