Johnny Cash - the Album-by-Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BeatleJWOL, Sep 20, 2020.

1. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member Thread Starter

Buckle up, everyone. This is gonna be a long one. Taking after the one and only @mark winstanley , I'm taking a crack at my first ever discography thread. Please be kind!

*ahem*

What can you say about Johnny Cash that hasn't been said? The greatest Sun artist (after Elvis Himselvis, of course), Cash went on to make an international name for himself over nearly 50 years and nearly a hundred albums. Johnny Cash's output spanned rockabilly, blues, rock'n'roll, gospel, and of course country. There's not another voice quite like his.

We have a long way to go so I think I'm going to move at a slightly brisker pace than the Elvis threads:
    • There's a lot of material to cover, so we're going to go an album a week, for the most part. The studio albums will be the main focus, although there are live albums and certain compilations that cannot be ignored; those albums may be bundled in with the subsequent studio album in the same week.

• There are a small handful of single sides that do not appear on an album; we'll toss those in alongside the appropriate or nearest album.

• There are some compilations that will get a mention if they have a track that does not appear anywhere else, otherwise they'll be skipped. Yes, that's right. Skipped. Not mentioned. A look at the Compilations section on Wikipedia will explain why. Please do feel free to point out any valuable discs I might have missed.

• In 1978, Bear Family started releasing Cash collections that included at-the-time rarities. Those might be best suited to another thread but if there's enough interest, we can discuss them here at the appropriate time (40 or so weeks from now :D).

• Lastly, for now, we're going to run up until Cash's death in 2003 and then decide where to go from there. That'll be over a year from now, though (yes, really) so that's a lot of time for thinkin' :D
    As always, suggestions on how to better proceed or any "hey, dumb-dumb, you missed this!" are welcomed. Planning to post once a week on Sunday at this time; if there's not a lot of discussion on a particular release, moving quicker is always an option.

Enough chatter. Get ready to ride this train!

2. BeatleJWOL

A little background, from Wikipedia.
    Johnny Cash - Wikipedia
    Johnny Cash - Wikipedia

The early Sun singles were compiled alongside other recordings on to Cash's first album in 1957. For reference, the following singles were released first:
    These singles and the rest of Cash's 78/45rpm Sun output were compiled on a series of Sun LPs, most of which we'll touch on, but for now...

3. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

Can we talk about A Boy Named Sue now?

4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Of course we will follow the OP's lead as always with these threads :)

5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I would have heard Johnny Cash when I was a pup. My dad certainly loved US country music and I distinctly remember hearing Live At Folsom when I was a pup and loving it.
    I don't have a lot of Johnny Cash's albums, but I certainly love the mans work.

An American legend who certainly left his mark on the musical landscape.

6. BeatleJWOL

Johnny Cash with His Hot and Blue Guitar!
    [​IMG]
    Studio album by
    Johnny Cash
    Released
    October 14, 1957
    Recorded September 1954 – August 4, 1957
    Genre
    Length 27:40
    Label Sun
    Producer Sam Phillips

Johnny Cash with His Hot and Blue Guitar! is the debut album by American recording artist Johnny Cash, released on October 14, 1957. The album contained four of his hit singles: "I Walk the Line," "Cry! Cry! Cry!," "So Doggone Lonesome," and "Folsom Prison Blues."

Track listing
    All tracks are written by Johnny Cash, except where noted.
    1. "The Rock Island Line" Unknown 2:11
    2. "I Heard That Lonesome Whistle" Jimmie Davis, Hank Williams 2:25
    3. "Country Boy" 1:49
    4. "If the Good Lord's Willing" Jerry Reed 1:44
    5. "Cry! Cry! Cry!" 2:29
    6. "Remember Me" Stuart Hamblen 2:01
    7. "So Doggone Lonesome" 2:39
    8. "I Was There When It Happened" Jimmie Davis, Fern Jones 2:17
    9. "I Walk the Line" 2:46
    10. "The Wreck of the Old '97" Traditional (probably Charles Noell); arranged Cash 1:48
    11. "Folsom Prison Blues" 2:51
    12. "Doin' My Time" Jimmie Skinner 2:40

Two single A-sides were included on the 2002 re-issue alongside three alternate versions of songs from the record:
    13. "Hey Porter" 2:14
    14. "Get Rhythm" 2:15
    15. "I Was There When It Happened" (Alternate Version) Davis, Jones 2:18
    16. "Folsom Prison Blues" (Alternate Version) 2:34
    17. "I Walk the Line" (Alternate Version) 2:40

Johnny Cash with His Hot and Blue Guitar! - Wikipedia

~~~~~

I wasn't there when it happened. Were there some on this forum that were? But this is, of course, a fine record, and an auspicious start on LP for the man in black.

So full disclosure, I gave the Cash catalogue a rundown sometime last year (thanks, Youtube Music!) and I know what I know, but I'm not an expert by any means, so I welcome those that are. Thanks in advance for coming along :)

May the ghost of Shel Silverstein lose your keys and step on your toes. We'll get there in...oh, I dunno, five months or so. :D

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  7. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Boy Howdy Johnny !

[​IMG]

I approve this thread ! :D

8. motownmaniac

motownmaniac Forum Resident

I love this album , own 5 originals (had 7 gave each daughter a copy) . Just put it on now inspired by this thread .
    The first track 'The Rock Island Line' is a perfect introduction to Johnny Cash , shows off his rebellious side with
    a touch of humor as well . Last count I own over 70 Cash originals , this thread could go for years .
    The write up on the back is very good , informative and tells you about the man .

"How does a young man of 23 get to be so serious , so soon ? In Johnny's case , it was a matter of facing hard,
    cold facts from childhood "

Johnny Cash - The Rock Island Line

9. BeatleJWOL

Of course to balance that out, gospel was there right from the start; despite Sam Phillips allegedly telling Cash "go home and sin and come back with something I can sell", there's "I Was There When It Happened" parked right in the middle.

10. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Hey! Dumb-Dumb!!
    Great idea for a thread.
    :edthumbs:

Wow, the first album is not just a few good songs with some crappy songs in-between.
    This is a SLAM! Johnny Cash is here!!!
    Songs that he would play and remain a part of his setlist for the rest of his days.
    Everything about this album is good.
    The album cover itself is memorable and Classic.
    I even have this picture disc version, I like the cover so much:
    [​IMG]

Not a bad entry album for a newcomer.
    The only song I don't particularly like is 'Remember Me'.

11. Rick Bartlett

bump!

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  12. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Over on the Elvis threads I've talked about how I prefer to listen to Elvis by the session. For the most part his albums were compiled in a haphazard way with no real thought put into them, and he chose to have no part in their compilation or sequencing. By contrast, most of his recording sessions have a distinct style and feel, and flow very well in the order recorded.

Johnny Cash is the opposite. He put a lot of thought into the sequencing and presentation of his albums, and they stand up as disparate listening experiences. The one area where I make an exception though is the Sun sessions, which I've always listened to in chronological order. This is the only album that was compiled and released when Cash was on Sun, and I've never owned it or listened to the songs in this configuration. Looking at the tracklist now, I see it's a hodge-podge... half of it is covers recorded at some July and August 1957 sessions, and the other half is Cash originals that were singles, some dating as far back as 1955. The Cash originals are all great (he was really on fire as a songwriter in his first five years or so) while the covers are just okay (Remember Me and Lonesome Whistle are my favorites). But yeah, for me when I want to hear Sun I either listen to the whole thing (the first three Bear Family discs) or a greatest hits. This album doesn't really work as an album to me any more than Elvis' records. Fortunately, everything changes when he heads over the Columbia.

13. BeatleJWOL

I debated starting with the Sun singles and then moving to album-by-album but then that would be, like, 2 plus years :D so I went this route instead. Everything's covered, even if the early listening experiences aren't ideal.

Dave112, RSteven and TheLoveDrags like this.
  14. topekatj

topekatj Forum Resident

So glad to see this thread and am hoping the collective wisdom can answer the following question:
    Is this the first full length (albeit short) LP that was released by Sun Records? Thanks

15. BeatleJWOL

16. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

No arguments with your thread organization choice... the focus on albums makes sense. I was just talking about my own listening preferences. That said, you'd better be sure to give The Chicken in Black the attention it deserves when we reach that era!

17. BeatleJWOL

I thought we'd take two weeks on that one. Just in case. :shh:

Dave112, RSteven, jalexander and 2 others like this.
  18. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

Just finished the U2 album by album. Knee deep in the Wilco song by song. Keeping an eye on Radiohead. And now Johnny Cash. Ok, then... how can I say no the artist I own more records and CDs or than any other...

I hardly know the Sun albums at all as I jumped into the deep end with these via the Time Life set. One version if every song from the sessions. I’ve picked up a few more complete releases with overdubs, outtakes, etc over the years, but it’s a very good set.

For Guitar, I have a copy of this as it was randomly included in the Complete Columbia box set. It’s a solid debut. The voice. The sound. It’s all there from the start. Simply magical. I love that he snuck a gospel song on too.

And of course it’s got a career defining song in Folsom that’s a total ripoff:

But Johnny’s from a different tradition of borrowed tunes as we’ll see through throughout his career.

I’ve read the books. Watched the documentaries. Hunted down the random singles. Let’s go.

19. BeatleJWOL

Welcome aboard! :D If you know any singles offhand I should make sure to cover, feel free to mention; we'll save the full on discussion for the appropriate time, of course.

The MEZ likes this.
  20. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

The singles collection with the Complete Columbia set is a good rule of thumb for single-only releases. Kind of like Cash’s Past Masters.

I’ve done a write up for every Columbia release up through around 1975. Singles are covered at the bottom of each relevant album: Raise My Glass to the B-Side

This thread might give me the motivation to finish off the Columbia years!

21. BeatleJWOL

Very nice stuff! After a little reading I think I'd already correctly identified most of the singles that ended up on an album later; since we're tackling compilations too I think we'll be able to cover everything.

Loving your reviews! Keep it up :D

pablo fanques and Anti_Elijah like this.
  22. Ellen1014

Ellen1014 Forum Resident

A brilliant idea of a thread and one o didn't have the guts to start myself.

I have every album he's ever done, even the Return to the Promised Land and Destination Victoria Station albums to name but two rarities among his many of them.

If you need assistance with this then I'll be happy to help.

The first album is great and I love it. There aren't many duds during his Sun years but the songs on this album are all 10/10. I play this album regularly and don't skip any songs.

23. Rick Bartlett

Great!!

Anti_Elijah, BeatleJWOL and RSteven like this.
  24. BeatleJWOL

Week two, incoming!

The Fabulous Johnny Cash
    [​IMG]
    Studio album by
    Johnny Cash
    Released
    November 3, 1958
    Recorded July 24–August 13, 1958
    Studio Bradley Film and Recording Studio (Nashville)
    Genre
    • Country
    • folk
    • gospel
    • rockabilly
    Length 28:28
    Label Columbia
    Producer Don Law

The album features five tracks written by Cash and backing vocal performances by The Jordanaires (who at this time were also regulars on Elvis Presley's recording sessions for RCA Records). Overall, even though the album is only 29 minutes in length, it is considered one of Cash's most cohesive pieces. This is largely because his sessions with Columbia were completed over a two-month period. That is greatly reduced when compared to the year by year sessions by Sun Records.

Track listing
    Side one
    No. Title Writer(s) Recording date Length
    1. "Run Softly, Blue River" John R. Cash August 8, 1958 2:22
    2. "Frankie's Man, Johnny" J. R. Cash August 8, 1958 2:15
    3. "That's All Over" Dick Glasser August 8, 1958 1:52
    4. "The Troubadour" Cindy Walker August 8, 1958 2:15
    5. "One More Ride" Bob Nolan August 13, 1958 1:59
    6. "That's Enough" Dorothy Coates August 13, 1958 2:41
    Side two
    1. "I Still Miss Someone" J. R. Cash, Roy Cash August 13, 1958 2:34
    2. "Don't Take Your Guns to Town" J. R. Cash August 13, 1958 3:03
    3. "I'd Rather Die Young" Beasley Smith, Billy Vaughn, Randy Wood August 13, 1958 2:29
    4. "Pickin' Time" J. R. Cash August 13, 1958 1:58
    5. "Shepherd of My Heart" Jenny Lou Carson August 13, 1958 2:10
    6. "Suppertime" Ira Stanphill July 24, 1958 2:50

2002 reissue bonus tracks
    No. Title Writer(s) Recording date Length
    13. "Oh, What a Dream" (Take 1) J. R. Cash July 24, 1958 2:08
    14. "Mama's Baby" J. R. Cash August 8, 1958 2:22
    15. "Fool's Hall of Fame" Jerry Freeman, Danny Wolfe August 8, 1958 2:10
    16. "I'll Remember You" J. R. Cash August 14, 1958 2:07
    17. "Cold Shoulder" Helene Hudgins August 13, 1958 1:55
    18. "Walking the Blues" J. R. Cash, Robert Lunn August 13, 1958 2:12

The Fabulous Johnny Cash - Wikipedia

AND, as a bonus, since we're moving at speed:
    Johnny Cash Sings the Songs That Made Him Famous
    [​IMG]
    Compilation album by
    Johnny Cash
    Released
    December 1, 1958
    Recorded April 2, 1956 – July 10, 1958
    Genre
    • Country
    • rockabilly
    Length Original: 28:57
    Re-issue: 38:08
    Label Sun
    Producer
    • Sam Phillips
    • Jack Clement
    Johnny Cash Sings the Songs That Made Him Famous is a compilation album by American singer-songwriter Johnny Cash. It was originally released on December 1, 1958, by Sun Records after Cash had left the label and signed with Columbia Records.

Track listing
    No. Title Writer(s) Length
    1. "Ballad of a Teenage Queen" Jack Clement 2:13
    2. "There You Go" Johnny Cash 2:19
    3. "I Walk the Line" Cash 2:46
    4. "Don't Make Me Go" Cash 2:31
    5. "Guess Things Happen That Way" Clement 1:52
    6. "Train of Love" Cash 2:24
    7. "The Ways of a Woman in Love" Bill Justis, Charlie Rich 2:16
    8. "Next in Line" Cash 2:49
    9. "You're the Nearest Thing to Heaven" Jim Atkins, Cash, Hoyt Johnson 2:42
    10. "I Can't Help It" Hank Williams 1:49
    11. "Home of the Blues" Cash, Douglas Glenn Tubb, Lillie McAlpin 2:41
    12. "Big River" Cash 2:35
    Total length: 28:57

Johnny Cash Sings the Songs That Made Him Famous - Wikipedia

~~~~~

We're officially into the Columbia years now, though Sam Phillips had an additional five compilation albums queued up through the mid-1960s; they'll get a mention alongside the nearest Columbia album as we go.

Lots to love here. Of the Sun set, Big River is a stone cold classic. A standout in particular from the Columbia record is "I Still Miss Someone".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-Sj75QusZo - stereo mix as presented on the 2003 Essential Johnny Cash release; funny, I figured all the Youtube uploads would be from the same master.
    A plaintive lament that wouldn't have been out of place from the voice of one Hiram Williams, yet remains uniquely Johnny Cash.

Next week: Gospel. Until then, let me know what tops your list from these selections.

Housekeeping note: I know we're just getting started here, so your feedback is welcomed. Is once a week too slow? Too fast when we talk two albums? If the thread's slowing down or quiet for a day or so, would moving on to the next record be out of line? Don't hold back! :D

25. Ellen1014

Ellen1014 Forum Resident

The Fabulous is a nice album and just the right length. At 30 minutes it's a benefit that they didn't add more with any filler material like Mama's Baby. The only downside for the album is that it sounds a bit too polished and over-rehearsed which the Sun stuff never did. Johnny isn't Roy Orbison, he should be raw and rough. But that's just my preference.

I also like the Sun album. I like everything he did at Sun. The best song on the album is Home Of The Blues.