Johnny Cash - The Complete Colombia Album Collection

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by norderney, Apr 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve...O

Steve...O Forum Resident

Waters From the Wells of Home is a great album with solid songs and performances. Interestingly, his label mates at the time, the Statlers, do not appear and neither does Carl Perkins. But you do get Tom T, Acuff, the Everlys, etc.

I have the 3 other stand alone titles on CD but it has been awhile since I've heard them. I didn't buy Classic Cash because I hate re-records.

fpas likes this.
  2. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I think that they're all worthwhile albums with songs and performances to recommend them.

The Mercury album that I've listened to the most, by far, is Classic Cash. The sleeve makes it look like a Pickwick budget collection, but it's a great session and I remember reading that Johnny Cash was very excited about it before its release.

I put this alternate cover together and titled it Silver & Gold:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I quite dig the Mercury re-records, but there's not many artists that can do that and recreate something
    close to what they did before. Johnny was a great exception for me. Not only does the set show he still
    'had it', but how great the songs still were and he could pull em off and be as good as the original records.

Mr. H and Guy E like this.
  4. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Yes, there are very few artists who can re-record material effectively; none that I can think of in the world of Rock Music. He was working with a great band and chose a variety of songs, including later material like Kris Kristofferson's Sunday Morning Coming Down. Other country artists have done similar good albums - Willie Nelson comes to mind.

5. fpas

fpas Just...take it easy, man.

I like these covers. Thx. I think I'm gonna use them as soon as I have the Classic Cash CD. It looks like you used pictures from that particular era. You didn't make a backcover with spines?

6. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Thanks.

I actually did make a CD back panel. :laugh: And looking now, my printed copy doesn't have his name or the S&G title on the back cover or on the back panel.

The cover photo is part of the official CD artwork. The b+w photo is something I "got" off the Internet.

I don't do home printing anymore and I don't have Photoshop either (and I have trouble making .pdf copies from those old files). I'll try to dig out the files. Let me know what your capabilities are (Photoshop or not) in a PM. I'd be happy to send them to you.

fpas likes this.
  7. graveyardboots

graveyardboots Resident Patient

Many moons ago, I acquired this title from either the BMG or Columbia House music club without realizing these were (at the time) new re-recordings of classic songs. Once I realized what I had purchased, I traded it in at a used CD store. But in light of all of these positive comments about this album, I'm tempted to hunt it down again.

Hep Alien likes this.
  8. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I avoided the album for a long time with the same mindset as yours. I finally bought a used copy for a few bucks.

I don't like re-recordings from rock artists, but country artists and jazz artists can revisit material effectively.

Hep Alien likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.