Johnny Depp's 'Mortdecai'---yikes

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Panda, Jan 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That atrocity simply must win!

2. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

I would imagine most healthy adult males would only need about three minutes.

3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I suspect there are a lot of blocks of wood that would take umbrige at being dismissed in that fashion.

Cousin It likes this.
  4. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

It looks a right load of rubbish. One of the characters is even called Jock Strapp...

5. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

He's the first cousin of Biggus Dickus from Life Of Brian. :D

6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way.

7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

His cousin is Hugh G Wrection.

8. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Nixed! ;)

Jeff (who still has a HUGE crush on Myrna Loy)

9. Captain Groovy

I didn't even know Blackhat existed! Did they market it? A Michael Mann-directed film and I don't even know of it?

Just looked up the reviews and box office... oh, man. Time to put up some Collateral and turn up the Heat.

Here's hoping for a Michael Mann-creative comeback at some point... hopefully not starring Johnny Depp.

Isn't this the point in peoples' careers where they change their name to "John Depp" or something in a last ditch effort to be taken seriously?

Jeff

10. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

What do you think of the following choices, Jeff?

11. Captain Groovy

Well, if a Thin Man starring Depp happens, might as well throw in Lohan and sink the whole thing before it begins!

Jeff

Monosterio likes this.
  12. Monosterio

Let's say it's Kevin Kline instead. Which of those ladies do you think would work best with him?

13. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

Betty White.

Kline is 67. Powell made The Thin Man at age 42.

14. Monosterio

:laugh:

15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I saw plenty of trailers for "Blackhat" in the months leading up to its release. Dunno how much promo it got otherwise, but there were lots of trailers for it in front of movies and on Blu-rays...

16. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

and Myrna Loy was 29.

17. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

and it shows - great team but he looks like her dad to me

18. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

That's hilarious!

:laugh:

I am 11 years old.

johnnyyen likes this.
  19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Whose wife is Incontinentia Buttocks. :)

P.S.
    Anne Hathaway is wonderful.

20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Saw this today - had a snow day, Regal offered 20 "bonus points" to members of their "Crown Club" and the ticket was only $5, so I figured I'd give it a look.

Is it as bad as the reviews seem to indicate? No, but it's certainly not good. It moves at a painfully slow rate, a real shortcoming in a movie that wants to be "madcap" and fast-paced. It thinks it's a gleeful romp but instead it's just witless and muddled.

The plot seems way more complicated than it needs to be, especially since it all revolves around a classic MacGuffin. The movie throws in a slew of superfluous characters and never settles on where it wants to go or what it wants to be.

It's like someone took a bunch of "caper" flicks and some "Pink Panther" scenes, tossed them in a blender and this mess emerged.

Depp's not as bad as I might've expected, but he overdoes his part relentlessly. He mugs, he smirks, he scowls, he grins - he does everything but actually act!

There are a good three or four places where it looks like the movie's over - and yet it just keeps going. It's only 106 minutes but it feels more like 146 minutes...

benjaminhuf likes this.
  21. Alfie Noakes

Alfie Noakes Not Dark Yet....

I consider myself a Depp fan, but I must admit I haven't been crazy about his career choices in a long time. I used to look forward to his work with Burton, but I'm not a fan of when Burton does color (Willy Wonka, Alice...).
    I'm also not a huge fan of the Pirates franchise, but I think Burton could maybe do a good one. His sets always look amazing, to me anyway.
    I think the last Depp film I enjoyed was Sweeney Todd, but I'm probably in the minority. He needs to do more work like Donnie Brasco. Also wouldn't mind seeing him work with Wes Anderson

22. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

While Richard Thompson has never had an album chart above #75 on Billboard's Top 200, Meghan Trainor, Taylor Swift, and Kidz Bop Kids currently hold the #1, #2, and #3 spots on that chart.

I have no point to make there. Just wanted to update everyone on how quality music is doing.

Captain Groovy and GentleSenator like this.
  23. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Saw this a few days ago...not the trainwreck that I thought it would be but...almost. It's a mess and I mainly blame the writers for that...what's more amazing is that the director is David Koepp...one would think that he would be able recognize a bad script but this time it looks like he didn't.
    Regarding the actors, I guess they all did their best...I wouldn't be too hard on Depp..the moustaches jokes were annoying but in the end those are the lines he had to deliver. Mc Gregor, Paltrow, Bettany were all OK, and after all a lame script is a lame script, what could they do? I guess they all signed because Koepp was involved in this project and the novels were successful but the whole thing just doesn't work. The score is stellar though, what a waste!

24. bobbyhol

bobbyhol Forum Resident

Did anyone see George Clooney and Vera Farmiga in Up In The Air ? Now that's the pair who should play Nick and Nora - chemistry to burn from grown adults who actually behave and project themselves like mature, assured people.

PHILLYQ and chacha like this.
  25. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Great Idea

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.