Johnny Mathis & Columbia/Legacy prepare MASSIVE box set, new album for Fall 2017!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by colormesinatra, Aug 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

How did he sound?

I've listened to the new album - the title is strange. The "American Songbook" is just a loose categorization of older songs that are widely considered "standards" - meaning LOTS of people have covered the songs. I will admit that most of the songs on this new album I'd never heard at all, even done by the original artists. The only song on this album I've heard covered many times (and the song does indeed lend itself to be covered/interpreted in different ways) is "Hallelujah". But it was written by Leonard Cohen, a Canadian. It's all just a marketing selling point, but not well thought out in this case.

The use of autotune is deplorable. I'm puzzled why it's there...since some of the songs show no signs of it, and Johnny is singing beautifully, with perfect pitch and intonation. Then there are songs where it's obvious, as he bends up a note, etc. The overall sound of the album (I have the 24-bit 48k download) is not great either. But there are some worthwhile moments.

2. asavage

asavage Forum Resident

My box set from amazon.com has arrived. It's numbered 1447 out of 1500.

3. Ben in Colorado

Ben in Colorado Forum Resident

A low press run seems right in that only Amazon US appears to have the set in stock. And JPC increased their price by about 40% and they don’t even have the set in stock.

4. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Mathis knows how to pace himself and doesn't give 100% to every song. He's great when he wants to be. Usually stronger in the second half.

5. ssstand

ssstand Forum Resident

My box got here from amazon.de yesterday. It's 213 out of 1,500, perfect condition, and it sounds great. Obviously I've only listened to a handful of the CDs, but they sound really, really good.

audiomixer and Ben in Colorado like this.
  6. crisp

crisp New Member

Got my copy today. Very nicely packaged, on a par with the Elvis and Bennett sets. I played both those sets chronologically but given the time of year I think with Mathis I'll play the Xmas discs first. Glad to read the above report on the sound.

Ben in Colorado and ssstand like this.
  7. PDMan

PDMan Forum Resident

I saw some grumbling on Amazon about the CD's having too little bass as compared to the original vinyl, but I haven't noticed that so much on the CD's I've played out of the set.

audiomixer likes this.
  8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Even if it is 1500, that seems foolish to make a set that virtually sells out the week of release. I understand the limits of Johnny's autograph....but perhaps he would be willing to do about 50 autographs per day and send them off to SONY

9. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

I don't know if this has been posted yet, please excuse me if I'm not posting anything new here....

I just bought the Johnny Mathis box set for $339.98 with free shipping. I bought it from FYE. First of all, their regular price for the set is $424.98. If you sign up for free to be on their mailing list, they send you a coupon for 20% off any item. Although the coupon is not supposed to apply on items which cost more than $200, it worked for this box set. Thus, by applying the coupon code DECW, the price comes down to $339.98. They list it in-stock and available for immediate shipping.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    Ben in Colorado likes this.
  10. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I'm still back-ordered at Import CD for $339.91. I hope they follow through for you & for me. :agree:

11. ssstand

ssstand Forum Resident

I don't know this for certain, but, based upon past mega box sets, there are often a limited number offered with the signed certificate, and then when those sell out, other copies are offered without that certificate. That is what occurred in the case of the Yo Yo Ma: 30 Years Outside the Box set. The original copies with the signed certificates were very expensive, retailing at about $800 per set, and these were followed by identical sets without the certificate. For a bit, these were very inexpensive, and sometimes could be found for less than $100, but when they sold out the aftermarket price soared. Currently, the sets without the certificates go for about $600.

As several others have pointed out, the set is available for reasonable prices from certain vendors. For a set of nearly 70 CDs, $400 seems quite reasonable to me--if one isn't a big Mathis fan to begin with I couldn't imagine purchasing this box at any price. For those of us who are big fans, however, the box has been found for between $200 and $350--which seems to me very reasonable. One thing is certain--if you delay too long it will sell out (certificate-less boxes or no), and then it will be prohibitively expensive.

ispace likes this.
  12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I have decided that if the set is not delivered to me from importCDs, fine. I save $340 and will do with my existing LPs and CDs

audiomixer and Ben in Colorado like this.
  13. audiomixer

I agree. I'm not spending $500 for this set.

14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

With that kind of money, you and your three brothers could buy a toupe.

15. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

1188 / 1500 :)

ssstand and colormesinatra like this.
  16. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

Maybe this is a bit early to ask, but what is missing here beside the contents of the "Singles Collection" and the Global albums?

Also, it seems, as if Real Gone Music is preparing deluxe editions of some of the new-to-CD albums...

ispace likes this.
  17. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

So the Mercury albums are absent? I have that set anyway. Anything else major?

I did some counting. I have 41 of Johnny Mathis' albums on CD, many others available on spotify. I have the singles set and the Global set. So I would be plunking down a lot for relatively new little.

18. Wesly

Wesly New Member

I've tried to compile a list of all missing songs, excluding the contents of The Complete Global Albums Collection, The Singles and The Complete Christmas Collection 1958-2010. Hope someone can add some more rarities or can confirm that this is a complete list.

Soundtrack recordings
    1. Most Of All There's You
      (from the 1968 MGM movie "The Biggest Bundle of Them All")
    2. Once Upon A Time Is Now
      (from NBC's 1977 television documentary "Once upon a Time... Is Now - The Story of Princess Grace")

3. The Last Time I Felt Like This (duet with Jane Olivor) (complete soundtrack version with all verses)
      (from the 1978 movie "Same Time, Next Year")
    4. Yesterday's Dreams
      (from the 1980 movie "Falling In Love Again")

5. I'm Not Afraid To Say Goodbye
      (from the 1988 movie "A Night in the Life of Jimmy Reardon") (noted in the end credits that the song is courtesy of CBS Records)

6. The Loving Theme (theme from "Loving" for the 1989-1991 seasons)
      (from ABC's soap opera "Loving", which ran from 1983 to 1995)

Spanish versions
    7. Gina (Gina)

8. Puente Sobre Aguas Turbulentas (Bridge Over Troubled Water) (CBS single 5328)

9. Cerca De Ti (Close To You) (CBS single 5328)

10. Historia De Amor (Love Story) (Argentinian CBS EP 33587)

11. Aun No Es Tarde (with Denice Williams) (Too Much, Too Litlle, Too Late) (CBS single 6522)

Collaborations & duets
    12. So Deep In Love (with Deniece Williams)
      (from Williams' 1983 CBS album "I'm So Proud") (different version than the bonus cut on TVOR's 41 That's What Friends Are For)

13. We Were Never Really Out Of Love (with Barbara Dickson)
      (from Dickson's 1984 album "Heartbeats" + B-side of CBS single A-7195 Simple)

14. Blue Snowfall (with Lorrie Morgan)
      (from Morgan's 1993 album "Merry Christmas From London")

15. Day Follows Day (with Lena Horne)
      (from Horne's 1994 album "We'll Be Together Again")

16. Let The Good Times Roll (with Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band)
      (from Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band 2003 album "XXL")

17. It Might Be You (with Elaine Paige)
      (from Paige's 2004 album "Paige And Friends")

18. When A Child Is Born (with Susan Boyle)
      (from Boyle's 2013 Christmas album "Home For Christmas")

19. A Certain Smile (with Engelbert Humperdinck)
      (from Humperdinck's 2014 duets album "Engelbert Calling")

20. It's The Most Wonderful Time of the Year (with Dave Koz)
      (from Koz' 2014 album "Dave Koz & Friends: The 25th Of December")
    21. All You Need Is Love (Dave Koz Feat. Stevie Wonder, Gloria Estefan, Johnny Mathis & more)
      (from Koz' 2014 album "Dave Koz & Friends: The 25th Of December")

22. It's The Holiday Season (The Count Basie Orchestra)
      (from 2015 album "A Very Swingin' Basie Christmas")
    Missing from The Complete Global Albums Collection
    1. Come Back (Mercury single 72184)
    2. Your Teenage Dreams (Mercury single 72184)
    3. Dianacita (Mercury single 72432 - B-side of Take The Time)
    Tracks recorded with The Young Americans for the 1965 album The Young Americans Presented By Johnny Mathis:
    1. What's New At The Zoo
    2. Clap Yo' Hands
    3. Chim Chim Cheree

Listen! It's Christmas

1999 Christmas cd released on the Hallmark label, featuring CeCe Winans and The London Symphony Orchestra

Special mention goes out to a rarity I came across, a (supposedly) UK version of "The Impossible Dream" with an edited in verse sung by a chorus and humming by Johnny in place where on the album version he normally sings the lines "Dulcinea, I'm in heaven when I see Dulcinea". I found it on YouTube once, but I can't find any more information about it, but it seemed like a legit release to me.

While I can understand all songs recorded for other companies (especially the collaborations with other artists) are left off the box set, maybe for all kind of copyright issues, it's a great missed opportunity to make it a REAL Complete Columbia Recordings box set by leaving out the Spanish recorded songs and the original movie song I'm Not Afraid To Say Goodbye. which are all courtesy of Columbia Records. They could have easily fitted on the Odds & Ends cd, with other rarities compiled for this release.

19. Wesly

Wesly New Member

Sorry for the layout. I copied it from a Word-file I made and it seems the paragraphs don't come across well.

20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

You mean the Complete Singles are NOT included in this big Mathis box? That would seem poor!

21. Wesly

Wesly New Member

Nope, they aren't included. To make it clear, Johnny's Greatest Hits, More Johnny's Greatest Hits, Portrait Of Johnny, Johnny's Newest Hits and half of I'll Search My Heart and Other Great Hits, all compilation albums of previously released singles, don't appear on the TVOR box set.
    So no Wonderful! Wonderful!, Chances Are, Wild Is The Wind, It's Not For Me To Say,...

22. audiomixer

It's a crime.

23. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

Many thanks for the great listing. It's sad that Sony failed to include these tracks. It's not as bad as the Bennett, but I wonder if Real Gone Music will release a disk with the Spanish recordings...

24. Ben in Colorado

Ben in Colorado Forum Resident

Because the track listing was available prior to release I don’t think the missing songs are a reason not to get the box. Buy it with your eyes open and it will not be a surprise or crime.

ispace and colormesinatra like this.
  25. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Being Mathis ignorant, was he an album oriented artist? Meaning, is the material consistently very good throughout the albums?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.