Johnny Rotten on The Police reunion.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackson, Sep 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. criminy

criminy New Member

There's this illusion that people have that the band (whoever it is) belongs to them somehow. Stink doesn't tell you what to do - and at least he gets a chance to sing some good songs again for a change.

2. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

:D

3. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Yes, you have that exactly right. Now, Mr. Lydon actually likes and admires many of the so-called dinosaurs he slags off in public in his Johnny Rotten persona. Elton John and David Gilmour, for instance. He likes to wind people up and act the curmudgeon to get publicity. Good, clean, harmless fun, IMO. Don't take it seriously, like all the punk devotees that used to fawn over people like him and Sid. It's the egotism, hypocrisy, pretension, and corporate control of some of these acts that he's really trying to kick at, not so much the music, per se.

4. RE: Sex Pistols

Eh . . . take it or leave it.

5. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

They were all but in name after Dirty Work - Ron Wood is the only reason they did not go the last inch and make it official. He would make a great ambassador.

As far as "Johnny Rotten"'s comments go--methinx the real meat of the quote is in his comments about Amy Winehouse & Pete Doherty. They could do worse than take his advice & get off the bandwagon before it runs them over.

6. NIKE SQ 460

NIKE SQ 460 Just Do It...Daily!

"No Blacks,No Dogs ,No Irish" an awesome read!

7. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Right. You should appreciate "Johnny Rotten" as the curmudgeonly witty character side of John Lydon like "Groucho" was for Julius.

Doug

8. phil1db

phil1db Senior Member

another interview-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/shows/shaun_keaveny/

Johnny is on form- but the interviewer is awful

9. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident

I liked the tour by Yes in 1991 that united Anderson, Bruford, Wakemen & Howe with Squire, Rabin, and Tony Kaye

The early to late 80s Yes (Anderson, Squire, White, Rabin, and Kaye) had a great single ("Owner of a Lonely Heart") but they were kind of boring after about 5-6 years.

I'm not sure that the 91 tours qualifies as a reunion tour per se since the band continued to exist with a revolving set of members... but we got to see every significant member of the band at point or another on stage.

Only thing I can't remember is if they had two drummers (Bruford and White?). I think it was just Bill...

10. Dan Halen

Dan Halen Active Member

It was Bruford and White. I saw that show too, and when they weren't performing anything from "Union," it was a great show.

11. Dan Halen

Dan Halen Active Member

:righton: I saw Deep Purple last month at Radio City Music Hall. Anyone discounting them does so at their own peril. Most current young bands can only pray to have the musicianship, spark and creativity these "oldtimers" have. When they did "Into The Fire," Gillan actually topped the studio version, by screaming his $#@$@ off on the chorus. Not bad for a 62 year old man.

12. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

The Ian Gillan show!! ie the group Gillan with several purple members IMO, Purple for me ceased to exist after Lord left!!:shake: Deep Purple were the genises of Lord/Blackmore/Paice take two away and its a different group using the name Deep Purple!!, and the fact they have removed Blackmore's face:realmad: from official Machine Head cover art proves it is Gillan nothing more nothing less IMO:wave:

13. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Well the thing about Johnny Rotten is that even if didn't care about the Police reunion or thought it was fine for them to do it he would still need to say what he said to keep up his act/image/whatever.

Anyway, he's an old codger anyway and he should lighten up a bit. I wonder what he is like in private with no prying eyes??

Eddie

14. Dan Halen

Dan Halen Active Member

Gillan, Glover and Paice are three-fifths of the band. How is this not Deep Purple? I happen to prefer Blackmore and Lord at their respective instruments, but only by a matter of degrees. Morse and Airey bring slightly different musical perspectives to the mix, but not anything that's going to take away from the overall, original flavor.

15. Shakey

Shakey New Member

I've read enough and I agree with Rotten. Then again I also have to wonder wtf He is thinking when he is doing the same thing.
    But, there are bands (artists) out there with some integrity left, and have been playing on and off forever. I've got nothing against that at all.
    But this cashing in on the Nostalgia, they won't see my money.

16. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20836418/

later, chris

17. Well, Lydon was never one to give a hang about "integrity" or "credibility", was he? He just does what he does, and that's that.

18. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

The "Rotten" persona is still brilliant 30 years later.
    I enjoy listening to old Police records from time to time - more often perhaps than the Pistols' - still I agree with Johnny on the Police reunion, even though Sting is not exactly a new target.

19. John Cantrell

John Cantrell Active Member

Mr. Lydon's critique would weigh with much more credibility if he wasn't in the process of readying the remnants of his own erstwhile aging band for a quick trip to the [strike]accountants[/strike]...er...[strike]retirement fund[/strike]...oops, I meant going on tour. Sorry.

He is, of course, entitled to his opinion.

20. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

By all accounts he is a decent man, devoted to his wife and family members, loyal to friends, etc. He's done a few interesting things on British TV, post-rock stardom. Nature programs and the like.

He's no different than Mick Jagger, really. Both are conservative businessmen who behave or misbehave in public in various ways to attract attention and keep commercial interest going. They had the power to shock in their youth and have continued to capitalize on that reputation in the ensuing years as they grow older, as best they can.

21. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I think it is pure John Lydon. He is right you know, most of these bands were better when they were alive, including the Sex Pistols and PIL.

He's good for a quote.

22. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Gillan and Glover were not Original Deep Purple, the founding members are Blackmore/Lord/Paice/Simpler/Evans which means, todays Purple is so far removed from the original with just an original drummer member, the present group is a cross between Gillan and 80's Rainbow IMO not neccessarly a bad thing they rock!!, but it ain't Deep Purple without Lord and Blackmore more an all star Gillan group IMO!!

It would be like Paul McCartney going on the road with members of The Who and Stones and calling it The Beatles!!

23. krk

krk New Member

"Rotten TV" which aired briefly on VH1 about 7 years ago (only three episodes I think before they pulled the plug) was wonderful - witty, fresh, and unpredictable. I really wish Lydon would get a vehicle like that again.

Also his weekly "radio" show on the long-defunct eyada.com was always great fun.

My personal fav is John Lydon's appearance as a defendant on "Judge Judy."

24. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

I still dont get whats the big deal with the only Sex Pistols LP...I just dont like it.

25. Dan Halen

Dan Halen Active Member

I know Gillan and Glover were not original members. I'm talking about the MK II-Machine Head lineup, which is considered by most fans to be the quintessential lineup. Three-fifths of that unit is represented. To call it anything other than Deep Purple is silly.

As far as Johnny Rotten, while I don't agree with everything he says, I admire his honesty, wit and anger. Since politics is verboten on this site, all I'll say is check out later in the article about what he says about who's running for President. Interesting stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.