Johnny Seay (also known as Johnny Sea), country music singer, RIP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, May 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

This is confirmed by legendary country DJ Bill Mack and also by Stan Hitchcock but here is the word right from Bill Mack's mouth on Facebook

PRIORITY NEWS: It has now been confirmed that our very good friend and super country music performer Johnny Seay has been killed in a "crop-dusting" plane crash near West, Texas. Quoting the first official reports, "the plane hit a cell-phone line while circling the field." This very tragic happening occurred shortly after 1:30 PM today, May 14, 2016. Johnny was a very special friend to me and so many. Prayers, please, for his family and others close to this very good man. More details will be released later.

Roger Woods likes this.
  2. BradOlson

While he was a great singer, he is best known for this patriotic narrative to non-country fans:

melstapler likes this.
  3. BradOlson

His biggest country chart hits besides Day For Decision include covers of Johnny Cash's "Frankie Man's Johnny" and also a cover of "Nobody's Darling But Mine"

melstapler likes this.
  4. BradOlson

He was 75 years old

5. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

RIP. The man did a spot-on Cash impression, made all the more uncanny by his name (which wasn't a stage name) being homonymous with "Johnny C.". That patriotic recitation he did rings truer today than ever.

Roger Woods and melstapler like this.
  6. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Still don't know how I feel about "Day for Decision". Interesting track nonetheless.

7. ImADrifter

ImADrifter Forum Resident

He did a nice version of Bobby Goldsboro's composition, "Nothin's Bad as Bein' Lonely."

melstapler likes this.
  8. BradOlson

This was also a charted single for Johnny.

melstapler likes this.
  9. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

I wonder if he was the inspiration for the Simpsons character Johnny Calhoun:

[​IMG]

clhboa, Fullbug and A. Scrounger like this.
  10. A. Scrounger

A. Scrounger Forum Resident

First thing I thought of!

Fullbug likes this.
  11. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Worst year in the history of country music for deaths. I always assumed Johnny Seay was older than 75, but he probably started very young. RIP Johnny

12. BradOlson

I bet that he was

melstapler and A. Scrounger like this.
  13. BradOlson

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  14. BradOlson

15. BradOlson

With the pics of the crash that have been released, this is proof that it was a very deadly crash.

16. BradOlson

17. Amber seay

Amber seay New Member

I love you Daddy and miss you so much. I should have known you would die tragically cause all legends do it seems. I was just picking the phone up to call you and It rang with the bad news on the other end. You were a hero to all 9 of your children and most dads aren't a hero to even 1 of thier kids. Im so proud of you daddy and like Frank Anderson said during your tribute, you have a better voice than Johnny Cash and you were one of the best looking men in country music. I know that's true-just look at how I turned out! #Beautiful lol. I think most important is, even with none of this music business on my mind, Ive always been so proud to be able to say I'm Johnny Seays daughter. Love you always. Forever Amber

melstapler and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  18. melstapler

Amber, my deepest condolences to you and your family. All of us on this forum thread are fans of your father's music and I can tell you are very proud of his artistic achievements and of course, the amazing father he was to you and your family. Please feel free to share any interesting stories or songs pertaining to your father and his bright legacy.

19. Amber seay

Amber seay New Member

Thank you melstapler, this is very, very appreciated.

melstapler likes this.
  20. Amber seay

Amber seay New Member

I was reading tinytims comment about the "spot on cash impression" and it reminded me of a story. Since you ask for stories about my father, Johnny Seay, I will share this one. First of all, I know tiny meant well, but my Dad didn't do impressions. He did however, sing, play, practice, and write with Johnny Cash backstage at the grand ole Opry. He got to do this many times as he lived this life. He lived with Patsy Cline who he met at Tootsies. He went to jail for the night with Loretta Lynn's husband, he was best of friends with Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, Marty Robbins, Jim Reeves and so many others. He stole my moms heart away from Conway Twitty! He was always just Johnny Seay. He didn't try to be anyone else and never realized what a legend he was. In fact, the very day his plane crashed, I was going to call and ask him if he realized what a living legend he was! I didn't get that chance though. I do have many stories about his life and I will continue sharing them. Just know that Cash might have done Johnny Seay impressions. But, Johnny Seay was all original! Always, in all ways. Till next time.....Amber Seay

21. BradOlson

Amber, thanks for sharing great stories about your legendary father.

melstapler likes this.
  22. melstapler

Amber, your father had some amazing connections and life experiences. I really enjoy the film he starred in with Leroy VanDyke, Tex Ritter and Faron Young, entitled "What Am I Bid." More recently, I was able to buy a copy from Leroy, who sells it on DVD with the merchandise at his concerts and it should still be readily available.
    [​IMG]
    "What Am I Bid" from 1967

23. BradOlson

www.leroyvandyke.com also sells this DVD.

melstapler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.