Johnny Thunders - "L.A.M.F." remaster - Nov 2017 + "So Alone" reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Purple Jim, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Porky is not in the matrix of the good pressing I have a needle drop of. I'll have to see if any matrix info was included with the "bad" pressing needle drop.

This is the good one I've heard:

Side 1: 24092418 A//2 (inverted pyramid) E 420 JA
    Side 2: 24092418 B//2 (inverted pyramid) E 420 JA

2. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

Interesting, mine has:

Side 1: 2409218 A//2 M 1 (stamped) and "A Porky Prime Cut Speedy's Hic De Fic” (scribed)

Side 2: 2409218 B//2 M 2 (stamped) and "A Porky Prime Cut SK Gervius(sp?)" (scribed)

But, I would describe it just how you did with most tracks sounding fine but some sounding dull.

3. Papa Montgomery

Papa Montgomery Forum Resident

I have two different UK Track’s, one Porky and the other one not...and I think I also have a German Track copy if I remember correctly. I’ll try to do a quick comparison between these ASAP!

-Andy

4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

The German Track is surprisingly good:righton:

OE3 likes this.
  5. Papa Montgomery

Papa Montgomery Forum Resident

Made myself a fresh pot of coffee and did a quick comparison of the three Track copies of LAMF that I have (UK Porky, UK non Porky & German Track).

I found the UK Porky to be the murkiest or muddiest of the three...some songs sounded worse than others, some were OK but there was a definite overall muddiness in the sound. I still liked it, don't get me wrong...I mean it's LAMF...one of the greatest albums ever made by human beings :)

The non Porky UK sounded better to my ears, definitely a bit brighter (i.e. less muddy!) and crunchier than the Porky. There was of course some "mud" in places, it's no "Dark Side Of The Moon" by any stretch :)

The German Track sounded as good if not just slightly better than the non Porky UK. The vinyl surface was definitely quieter. I have to agree with Neonbeam that the German Track is definitely nice!

Keep in mind that my set up is extremely basic (Wharfedale speakers, Sony receiver, Technics TT w/ Audio-Technica cartridge) so I'm no way an audiophile authority on all things LAMF :)

Sincerely,

Andy

6. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

This is good because it mirrors an impression I had for ages. That "LAMF" is the rare beast where a German original beats the UK copy. Because normally I find UK pressings for vintage punk/ new wave titles much nicer. They have groove notations, inners made from thick cardboard (very good for surfaces:whistle:) and generally a more authentic feel.

7. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member Thread Starter

If there are any needle-drops circulating out there, I'd be interested in links by MP if anyone have something.:wiggle:

8. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Looks like So Alonesome is going to be a Record Store Day release!

9. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

I bought this record a few days ago, my pressing has problems: it's warped and full of inner groove distortion

10. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It's fantastic; music, packaging, pressing.

TeddyB likes this.
  11. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

I really wanted this, but my RSD store didn't have it :cry:. Might Discog it...did you get the standard black version, or the :biglaugh: 'Pearlescent Straw Pearl'? :biglaugh:
    (If not, did anyone else get the :biglaugh:'Pearlescent Straw Pearl' :biglaugh:, and does it play ok?)

On another note, I picked up the 4CD 'LAMF Definitive Edition' the other day, brand new for a tenner...great value and big fun, but the pops on the vinyl rip are :yikes:...hell, I coulda done better than that! WTF :realmad:

BlueSpeedway and DTK like this.
  12. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I got the standard version...NO interest in colored vinyl :).
    A tenner...that's great value.

yarbles likes this.
  13. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Yes, and after playing CDs 1 & 2 in the car yesterday, I just stuck CD1 in my PC, and it has the Chinese Rocks video as an unlisted extra! Cool!

DTK and Lonecat like this.
  14. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

I think L.A.M.F. is as good (if not at least very close to as good) as the first two New York Dolls albums. Question; is the 2015 Jungle reissue of Max's Kansas City the definitive/best sounding version of that album?

TheLoveDrags likes this.
  15. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Not imo. It's vinyl sourced for the main album tracks. The only tape sourced digital release of the original album is the original Beggars Banquet CD. It doesn't sound great but is the best sounding digital release, imo. I would personally track that down and then get the '95 CD for the bonus tracks. The main album on that disc is also vinyl sourced and missing "All by Myself". Neither should be very expensive.

Hep Alien and DTK like this.
  16. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Thanks for the info!

rnranimal likes this.
  17. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

Interesting. Where do you get your information regarding these releases being sourced from vinyl?

18. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I listened to them. There are vinyl clicks and and crackle.

punkmusick likes this.
  19. Veni Vidi Vici

Thanks. You may well be right, but it would be good if posters made clear that this is the case in their opinion, so we don't assume this has been confirmed independently by the producers.

DTK likes this.
  20. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Maybe I missed it, but did the deluxe So Alone ever make it to CD?

DTK likes this.
  21. TheLoveDrags

TheLoveDrags Forum Resident

Nope...

22. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

In my opinion, it is fact. :)

Though I was using the term vinyl loosely. I am using the term to describe a transfer from a grooved disc played with a needle. They could've been from acetate or vinyl. Either way, the surface noise is obvious.

One other thing I forgot to mention. For whatever reason, the main album tracks on the '15 are in mono. They were at least stereo on the '95. However, the '95 was missing "All by Myself" as I guess they didn't want it twice on the disc and it was among the short bonus set. But for the '15 they wanted the full album so it's included. However, it doesn't match the rest of the main album tracks as it is stereo and from tape source.

23. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Thanks. I'm really not into vinyl and hope springs eternal.

art likes this.
  24. Veni Vidi Vici

As there was never a mono LP release, that would seem to disprove that the tracks were mastered from an LP, wouldn't it?

DTK likes this.
  25. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Pedro Mercedes is the guy behind the great So Alonesome release. He's promised a CD release but it's delayed as he got sick of viral squabbling from Thunders fans.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    art and TheLoveDrags like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.