Joining the tube brigade

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mcow1, Aug 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort Thread Starter

I decided to take the plunge and ordered a Jolida JD502b integrated tube amp. I had to start someplace. Any tube tips, tricks or hints would be deeply appreciated.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I've not heard the unit.

Post us a picture!

3. mcow1

Here's a pic. And specs.
    Maximum Power Output: 85 W per channel at 8 ohms, 1KHz
    Rated Output Power: 60 W per channel at 8 ohms, 25Hz to 60KHz
    Frequency Response: (at 1 watt into 8 ohms) 8Hz to 130KHz + 1dB
    Bandwidth: 15Hz to 80KHz + 3dB; 0dB 60 W 1KHz
    Distortion THD: Less than 1% at 20 V output, 28Hz to 15KHz
    Circuit Type: Ultra Linear, Class AB
    Input Impedance: 100Kohms
    Input Sensitivity: 600mV at 1KHz for 60 watt output
    Output Impedance: 4 ohms and 8 ohms
    Negative Feedback: Less than 5 dB
    Noise and Hum: 85dB below rated output
    Tube Complement: 2 matched pairs (4) of 6550/KT88 power output; 2 pcs. 12AX7A/ECC83 pre-amplifier; 2 pcs. 12AT7/ECC81 power drivers.
    Power Requirements: 110V-120 VAC 60Hz 180 watts-standby, 450 watts maximum (220 VAC 50Hz option).
    Dimensions: 17 inches (43cm) wide by 15 inches (38cm) deep by 7.5 inches (19 cm) high.
    Weight: 39 pounds (18 Kg) net, approximately 46 pounds (21 Kg) packaged.
    Warranty: Two year limited parts and labor. One year or 1000 hours whichever comes first on Jolida Tubes.
    Bias Settings: 50 millivolts + 5 mV
    Fuse: 110 - 120 VAC, 6.3 Fast Amp Blo; 200 - 240 VAC, 3 Amp Fast Blo

Attached Files:

4. Clay

Clay Forum Resident

Congratulations!
    I will be anxious to read your post when you get it.
    One tip is to let the tubes warm up before listening.
    My EL34 tubes get over 300 degrees. (gas RC car digital heat gun)
    So be sure to warn any others in the house that they get hot and do not like to be touched.

5. audio

audio New Member

Gorgeous amp!! I wish they had headphone jacks and phono stages. I'd get one myself. I've read some reviews of this amp and people seem to really love it.

6. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Congratulations, mike. Did you purchase it from Vacumn Tube Valley? Or a local dealer?Jolinda does make some really nice products!

7. mcow1

Thanks, Ron. I picked it up from Underwoodwally hi-fi in Georgia. Same guy I bought my monolithic ps-1 phonostage from a couple months ago. He was over $100 cheaper than local dealers and no tax. Been tracking it with UPS and I should have it Friday. I'm having a heck of a time trying to find space to put it. I can't wait to hear the Scout through it. If I'm really lucky the original mono Sgt. Peppers I won on eBay should get here about the same time.

8. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hey Mike,

Glad to hear it! :) Try "The Pizza Tapes" or "Workingman's Dead" w/ it ....... me thinks ya will be very pleased! Remember what Cwon told me here many moons ago?...... treat this baby like a pair of shoes........ first thing ya take (turn) off and last thing ya put (turn) on. :)

-Jeffrey

9. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

I took the tube plunge about a year and half ago, enjoy!

10. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

I bought my space-heater last month. I can warm it up okay but...

1. ) Should I buy an extra set of tubes for it?
    2. ) They gave me a plastic screwdriver to adjust the bias? (I think) What's that about? What's an Ohm meter, where do I get one and how do I use it?

11. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Do not worry about new tubes yet, the plastic screw driver is to turn a small adjustment screw on a varriable resistor to properly set the bias on the big amplification tubes, it makes the amp sound its best. Please read the instruction manual that came with your amp. Some use ohm or volt setting to set the bias, others use small lights. An ohm meter measures resistance, you can get one that should work for you at Sears or a hardware store for about $20.00 or Radio Shack.

12. mcow1

Hot damn. I received the Jolida yesterday and all I can say is, WOW. Nice warm sound. I thought it was coming with stock Jolida 6550 tubes but it came with Electro-Harmonix. And, luckily, my Sgt. Peppers original UK mono came the same day and got to be the first play. Yep, this is what it's all about. If it wasn't for the diet I'd plop down in front of that stereo whith an ice cold 20 oz. beer and get a little extra enjoyment.

13. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Hey mike, aren't tubes great?:D

14. mcow1

:thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.