Jon Astley.........What Happened?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jefhart, Mar 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

It is nice to know that some of them are listening and our complaints are not falling on deaf ears.

Now, if we can just get these record company execs to back off the heavy limiting/compression!

2. GabeG

GabeG New Member

When you think about Astley's history it's no wonder he made things sound bright. One quick look at allmusic.com explains a lot.

He started under Glyn Johns tuteledge in the late 70's, but came into his own (or reinvented himself as allmusic states) during the cd era. In other words, light and bright were the key words of the day when it came to (re)issuing things on CD. He also made a couple of albums himself.

allmusic.com also lists him as the transfer engineer for the bulk of the Stones reissues -- whether or not that's true, I can't say.

3. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Maybe I don't get around much anymore but I have only heard his work criticized in two places...here and at the ICE fourm.

4. Cousin It

Cousin It Senior Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

5. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

He takes plenty of sh-, uh, stuff, on some Who lists and sites too. Maybe he's seen some of that as well.

6. Steven

Steven Senior Member

That would be on the 1990 2-fers. I don't believe NR was used on the Good Vibrations box set.

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

My assessment is starting to alter for the worse. I finally had a chance to A/B directly with the Canadian disc on a system with speakers that move a lot more air than my headphones. It sounded like the same traditional Astley mastering with a lighter touch on the NR and better tapes than some previous efforts on these songs. The compression/limiting is still quite audible. "Won't Get Fooled Again" seems to be whalloped the most by it. If I get a chance this evening, I'll take a peek at some waveforms.

The live material is still worth the price, but the Canadian budget line Who's Next is still a bargain (the best I ever had. :))

Regards,

8. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Regular ICE poster Mike Parros does prefer the Hoffman remaster of Who's Next over the 1995 "remaster" while his daughter's mastering tastes of the album are opposite. I happen to like the Hoffman remastering of the album and ripped the bonus tracks from the 1995 remaster (a co-worker has a copy of the 1995 Astley remaster) as MP3s and are archived on an MP3 CD-R.

9. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I don't need any other CD version of the album other than the CD I have in my collection.

10. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

The wavforms are huge and there's a lot of limiting/compression applied even though the sound is not too bad. I think he took it as far as he could before degradation occurred. I like the set but still haven't decided if it edges out the Canadian release. Steve's just doesn't have the "in your face" presence that the DE does. The bonus tracks are pretty good.

11. Ken_McAlinden

I think the Canadian release more than holds its own once you match levels.
    :thumbsup: No doubt about that, especially disc two!

Regards,

12. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

Somewhat off the subject, but as great as Keith Moon could be on most Who material, his attempt at a basic shuffle (or maybe non-attempt) on Baby, Don't Do It leaves something to be desired.

Then again, in some respects his lack of versatility has something to do with his greatness within the Who context.

doug

13. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Quoting myself here 'cause I'd like to add that although I am torn thus far between Steve's release and the Astley I think there's a place for both on my shelf. The Deluxe Edition is worth grabbing if for nothing else but the live set on disc 2 (which is awesome) and the bonus tracks. I many ways I believe that they are superior sonically to the original album tracks.

Someone mentioned this earlier but I feel it's worth repeating...Steve's release has a more vinyl (analog) feel to it. More like what you'd expect if you bought the album in the mid-seventies...which is good. The Astley is great but has that faint digital presence found in most of today's remasters. Both are worthy and valid. Just a matter of the listener's style preference at the moment of playback really.

On another note...it's probably the best Astley Who remaster I've heard yet. Don't shy away from it if you've ever disliked any of the others that have been offered.

14. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Another interesting change worth noting, in contrast to the '95 remaster with bonus tracks, is that the live tracks on disc 2 did not get edited as much.

The two Young Vic tracks that showed up on the '95 edition were Water and Naked Eye. Water has had about three minutes restored. And where Daltrey had paused during the final verse of Naked Eye, in '95 they "fixed" it simply by snipping out that whole verse! Now it's there, complete with his pause that would have been fairly easy to edit.

On the scorching version of Young Man Blues here Pete's guitar completely drops out for about thirty seconds, leaving Entwistle and Moon to jam together. When Pete manages to get plugged back in, they pick right up where he left them... and "they" left it in, thank goodness. I don't know if this would be an Astely decision, or be up to the producer. In any case its good to see them resisting the temptation to mess with the original tapes in editing as well as audio processing.

Ere

15. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

"P" is for the Push to make things sterile clean-like,
    "H" is for "Hey, I got that swell new Sonic Solutions software,"
    "A" is for "Awright, we zapped out All of the hiss",
    "S" is for "Sheesh" 15 years later (for alla the above),
    "E" is for the Edgy sound of digital Equalization,
    and "S" is for the Sweet Sound our boss o' the Sonic Sauce Supplies us....

Yikes, this is why I don't write poetry/song lyrics for a living! :rolleyes:

16. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I just got done listening to the Deluxe Edition, and I'm sticking with Steve's. While the Deluxe Edition sounds better than the '95 edition, Steve's sounds more natural to these humble little ears.

17. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I agree. While the DE version sounds good, nothing sounds more natural than the SH version. The version I will always play for pleasure.

18. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Most everyone is discussing the treatment of the original album, but I'm wondering what you all think of disc 2?

Ere

19. Ken_McAlinden

With the exception of a couple of tracks, it's the only version of that material released on a legit CD. I haven't heard the boots, so as far as sound quality, it wins by default. The mastering is pretty similar in approach to the first disc. Occasional NR and digital limiting/compression are employed. The performances are stellar, and, as I said before, that disc is worth the price of the whole deluxe edition.

Of the gazillion live versions of Young Man Blues released by The Who over the years, this one might just be my favorite.

Regards,

20. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Disc 2 is worth the price of admission! Kick ass performance! :thumbsup:

21. JWB

JWB New Member

Disc 2:

The way the song crossfades & noise reduction were handled is terrible.

There will be a ton of hiss during speech/applause and then suddenly no hiss when the music starts, marring the beginnings of songs, etc....

22. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Unlike Live at Leeds, where there is a high quality stereo boot available, in the case of the Young Vic the boot is mono, with a mix that buries the drums. So yeah, this is a substantial upgrade, regardless of the NR and compression.

23. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I finally got to hear this new master on a loan from a friend. A quick comparison with Steve's version reveals Astley's new master is a little meaty and beaty, and Steve's master is big and bouncy. :laugh:

Ok, next........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.