Jon Bon Jovi's HOF acceptance speech

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DK Pete, May 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

The Beatles. Now there’s a band!

nick99nack, scobb and Zoot Marimba like this.
  2. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I use to confuse the two as well

DK Pete likes this.
  3. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

They should be in rhe HOF.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  4. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

What did he say in the speech? That Bon Jovi was bigger than Jesus?

Doggiedogma, thxphotog and Jose Jones like this.
  5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

This thread would work better with a link to the actual speech...

gregorya, giantleech and DK Pete like this.
  6. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident Thread Starter

englishbob likes this.
  7. Oatsdad

:targettiphat:

Though I was hoping for a text version! ;)

Doggiedogma, Drifter and Murph like this.
  8. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I’m not a Bon jovi fan but I gotta give it up. You can argue about the notes but you cannot argue the numbers.

Jovi outlived his contemporaries tenfold.

Doggiedogma, Hermes, scobb and 2 others like this.
  9. Oatsdad

I think your dislike of Jon colors your view of his speech.

Yes, he does brag about the band's popularity some, but he peppers that with a lot of credit for others - I mean, he even thanks the bands who let BJ open for them back in the early days!

I don't think he needed to tell us about the #1s and the stadium shows, but he still deflects attention to others an awful lot - even when he lets us know about all the hits and success, he doesn't toot his own horn as an individual.

I think it's 95% a very good speech... :shrug:

10. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

Uhhh ... let’s agree to disagree and leave it at that.

11. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

And he gave a shout out to Derek Shulman. ;)

heepsterandrey likes this.
  12. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

OMG. That’s 20+ minutes I’ll never get back. Please all of you, I beg you. Do NOT watch it. I fell on the sword for you!

13. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Too late. Lol. Hey I was moved. I wanted to see if it was as grandstanding as the OP suggested. I was let down in that regard. Lol

Oatsdad likes this.
  14. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

I'm so old I remember when he was Jon Bongiovi, back in Cherry Hill, NJ

Doggiedogma and Frankh like this.
  15. That's Mr. Foghat

That's Mr. Foghat Forum Resident

How Old Are You? :laugh:

[​IMG]

Doggiedogma and Bananas&blow like this.
  16. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Bon Jovi was connected to the music industry by a fairly famous cousin I believe, that worked at the Hit Factory.
    The guy did odd jobs there just to get a bit of studio time, and managed a regional hit, Runaway, that got some decent airplay.
    Spent a lot of time at the Shore playing working at it.
    First time I saw the band was opening for The Scorpions in '84, and they held their own up against that band who was arguably at their peak.

Bon Jovi seems to be a genuinely nice guy.
    Always positive, he's still married to his high school sweetheart, underwrites a free restaurant in Red Bank, he acted for a bit in some decent movies and was thought of fairly well. Sports team owner, potential NFL owner. About the only thing I think clouds anything he's done, is whatever happened with Sambora, but he's never bad mouthed the guy, nor has he ever shut the door on him returning.

So bottomline, while he's not everybodys cup of tea, the guy has sold a ton of records, been welcomed into several different fields, and none of his peers has anything bad to say about him. So yeah, I think it is probably you.

Hermes, supernaut, Smack and 9 others like this.
  17. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Eh, like Orr a lot, but he was just as aloof, and boring on stage as Ocasek.
    I think Easton was the most animated and flashy live.

I thought Orr's voice was a lot better than Ocasek's, but I think what really took its toll on Orr, was the fact that Ocasek became the face of the band due to hugely successful MTV videos, and Ric's unique look.

krock2009 and Purple like this.
  18. Efus

Efus Senior Member

The Cars were in an odd position of being at the front of New Wave, a new thing with the kids back in '78-'79,
    while they themselves were pretty long in tooth age wise.
    So them jumping around on stage in front of an audience half their age probably didnt seem to make a lot of sense.

But if you're looking for a guy to cast the stink-eye on, Ric Ocasek makes for a pretty good target.
    Always distant, he has a reputation for not wanting to be bothered by fans (his perrogative).
    And one of the things that did bother me a bit watching them getting inducted was watching him chat up Brendan Flowers while the other members of the band spoke at the microphone. It just wasnt a little, it was the whole time the others spoke.
    I thought it was incredibly rude of him, and showed me how little he thought of the others.

But then again, these guys werent old childhood friends.
    Ric had a professional relationship with Orr for a number of years, and the others were added based on skill and ability to flesh out what Orr-Ocasek had written. So the band itself had little emotional connection between them, and I believe thats how it played out with the audience.

Doggiedogma and Purple like this.
  19. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

To me, Bon Jovi is corporate vanilla rock, with synthetic vanilla instead of actual vanilla.

And yes, he's a good guy, and "good guy does well" is cool. But I can't help thinking Kansas, Styx (whose music I can't stand), Toto, and Journey are all gritty, scrappy bands compared to BJ.

The Cars? Some killer singles, and an outstanding lead guitarist in Elliot Easton. Ben Orr was a good singer, Ric Ocasek hardly a singer at all, but very distinctive. Still doesn't add up to HOF worthy, but whatever.

Are Samantha Fox, Sheena Easton, and Rick Astley eligible yet?

20. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

According to SHF the RnR HOF is irrelevant

But according to SHF some artists don't deserve to be there because they lack so and so

So what is it?

Is the Rock Hall irrelevant meaning that being inducted means nothing

Or is it prestigous enough for a vent thread whenever an 'underserved' artist is inducted.

You can't have it both ways.

21. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

The second thing.

22. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

Probably because they refuse to pay the tens of thousands of dollars the HoF demands of inductees, and like every British rocker under sixty, they think the HoF is a crock and the epitome of missing the point, and therefore wouldn’t be seen dead in it.

23. ronm

ronm audiofreak

Bottom line is they are running out of worthy contenders.Once the few who should get in get in in will be a huge joke.Time to roll up the carpet.

24. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

There’s about as much chance the HoF will have final inductions as there is the industry will have final remasterings or a lot of folks here will buy their final box set of pointless mixes, demos and throwaways.

Efus likes this.
  25. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I ws unsure about the induction but Howard Stern's speech convinced me. Of course, there are still fifty other bands that should have gotten in before BonJovi. But it was worth it to hear Stern yell, "Eat ****, Bob Dylan!!!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.