Jonesin' for a new (to me) cart... what would the SHF do?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DarkAudit, Jan 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atbolding

atbolding Forum Resident

I can vouch for the V15 III and SAS. I ran that for a couple of years and probably will again when I get around to buying a new SAS stylus. I'm currently running an m97xe with a SAS and to be honest it's pretty similar.

2. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

Haven't tried a M97 yet...but pretty sure I will order one very soon.. .I have 4 turntables and find myself short one cartridge.

3. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

For the rig you describe, I'd second the DL-110. I bought one back when Comet Supply sold them (for $87 in 2013)!
    One of the rare occasions where I thought, this is so damn good, I'm buying a second one, just in case... so I did, and now they no longer sell them, so really glad that I did!
    Even at $175 as pointed out above, it is a bargain, a great sounding cartridge in that price range for sure, tracks fantastic too!

Just sold my SA-600 to a buddy, hard to let it go, was pristine!

(my current cartridges: Shure V15 Type III, Grado Red 1, AT33PTG/II, AT33EV, Denon DL-110, Ortofon Quintet Mono)

4. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just pulled the trigger on a new in box D71EE stylus off the bay for less with shipping than LP Gear without. :)

sberger likes this.
  5. Randy Van Ooyen

Randy Van Ooyen New Member

+1 on the Kab fluid damper. Its a MUST easy mod for 1200's. I have heard the before and after on two different SL1200s and its worth it in spades. Also, if you are at all handy, the KAB rewire kit for the 1200's tonearm brings the 1200 up another notch as well. Takes a you tube video, soldering iron, and an hour total, or KAB will sell you a rewired SL1200 tonearm. I have a $6K restored Thorens 124 with a fancy tonearm and pricey MC cart, and my modded 1200's sonic ability's is not embarrassed by it.

6. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

I'd had great luck with Goldring carts on Technics players. The 2200 would be a great MM for your table at $230 which fits in your budget. Kevin of KAB highly recommends this brand for use and I highly agree. The fluid damper he sells is easy to install and a big upgrade to your table too. Feel free to ask any questions - still wish I had my 1210!!!!!

Edit: Check out analog seduction for prices on these carts. They can't be beat and I'm a very happy customer of theirs.

7. DarkAudit

Not that I'm going to pull the trigger on either one, but there's both a 2000 E/III and a 5000 MK I for reasonable prices. Assuming either one would need a replacement stylus, which would be the better fit?

8. DarkAudit

Well, poop. Turns out my 500 cart is too old for the D71EE stylus. There was a design change to the cart internals in the interim, and so the stylus is too new for the cartridge. No longer electrically compatible. The Pickering V-15 I have is also too old. Got the same low volume result with that cart, as well.

9. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

10. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

That's really too bad. The Pickering, in particular, was a pretty good cartridge in it's day.

11. DarkAudit

I think the link I was given was misleading. Upon further digging, I found a significant difference in output voltage specs. 3.2mV vs 4.6mV. Reddit's answer was to turn up the volume when running the D71EE. :)

quadjoe likes this.
  12. Tremaindous

Tremaindous Forum Resident

This seller ships from New Jersey or New York. Delivery time is two days with Amazon Prime. Nice cartridge for my direct drive Denon DP-67L turntable.

13. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Read this. All is not lost:

http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=4197.0

14. Alt0174

Alt0174 New Member

How does the Grado compare to the DL-110? I was going to buy a DL-110 but decided on a Grado Prestige (so I can upgrade the stylus without having to buy a new cart).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.