Jorma's Quah Reissued

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TommyTunes, Jan 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member Thread Starter

This one seemed to appear out of nowhere but I picked up a copy in NY last week reissued by RCA 24 bit with bonus tracks. Just got home and have not yet heard it yet. Found some awesome boots up there. Including a stunning Van Morrison double live set recorded in CA around 70-71 for radio broadcast and a triple Kinks featuring a 1970 concert, missing BBC sessions and outtakes.

2. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Let us know how the Jorma sounds. I have the original issue and wouldn't mind upgrading if it's worth it.

3. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Actual release date is 1/7/03 - so I will be looking for this disc tomorrow.

Quah is Jorma's best solo album, IMO, and I will get it regardless (even though I have the original vinyl and the original Relix CD).

4. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Been waiting for years for this.
    Where did you pick it up - "Rocket Scientist" in the Villiage?

5. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member Thread Starter

Re: Re: Jorma's Quah Reissued

Out on Long Island at a M&P store on Hempstead TP, last Wednesday.

6. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Thanks for posting this.... Been enjoying his current work and have tickets to see him next weekend but I'd like to hear some earlier stuff as well (I'm only familiar w/Airplane).

7. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Picked it up yesterday and have spun it a couple times in the car. This guy is great, just an incredible guitar player. The recording sounds very good. Clean with lots of low end for an acoustic set.

His choice of recordings is interesting too. Lots of Blind blues-men songs :). Additionally, there are new liner notes and four bonus tracks:
    Lord Have Mercy
    No Mail Today
    Midnight In Milpitas
    Barrier

Looks like picking up the Blue Country Heart SACD has opened a can of hot tuna (I mean worms) for me. This guy is good and I'll have to continue picking up his work. Does anyone know if his current tour covers previous material to BCH?

TommyTunes, could you PM the M&P shop name to me? I live about 25mi away and would love to visit that place. Thanks again.

8. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I saw a copy at Best buy in Levittown L.I. yesterday. A few miles down the road from that Ma and Pop shop ( Cd + Record Exchange)I'm a long time Jorma/Tuna fan myself. The Tuna remasters were superb. But I will pass on the Quah cd as the grunt vinyl sounds incredible. ( But I'm temted as i write this) Try picking up the self titled Jorma on vinyl- Rca -another incredible sounding record.

9. MikeT

You can go to www.jormakaukonen.com and under the diary section you can see set-lists from his current tour.

I have been seeing Hot Tuna/Jorma since 1976 - almost evey year - and he is playing better than ever now.

He rarely, though, ever plays heavy electric guitar like he did in the late 70's, early 80's. Only acoustic for him now.

But to answer your last question - Yes Jorma plays songs from his entire career - going back as far as "Embryonic Journey" and "Third Week in Chelsea" (Jefferson Airplane tunes).

I just caught him in November (acoustic Hot Tuna) and they played an amalgam of stuff from the early days - to many tunes from "Blue Country Heart" - and the new stuff was worlds better (at least IMO) when done by Hot Tuna than when done with a bluegrass backing band.

10. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

I can't say enough great things about this remaster. Picked it up today.
    First of all it was remastered by Bob Irwin at Sundazed Studios. It sounds fantastic. Pretty good dynamic range and oh so clear. The additional cuts are 2 Tom Hobson vocals and two Jorma instrumentals (one of which is great). The new essay in the booklet is a great companion to the disc. I've loved this album since 1975. This edition gave me goosebumps.

11. syogusr

syogusr New Member

John: Interestingly enough, Best Buy has these songs as the 4 bonus tracks:
    12. Lord Have Mercy - (previously unreleased)

No Mail Today - (previously unreleased)

Embryonic Journey - (previously unreleased)

Quah Radio Spot - (previously unreleased)

But, obviously since you have the new edition, the last 2 have been changed, but I wonder why. Embryonic Journey would have been interesting as I wonder what version would have been included. Either way, I have already ordered this masterpiece, and can't wait to hear it!

12. MikeT

The Quah Radio Spot is still on the disc - but it is a "hidden" track. Sorry if I spoiled your fun. ;)

"Lord Have Mercy" is actually an early version and quite a rough version of a song that later appeared on an electric Hot Tuna album. At first I said to myself that I heard this before but couldn't place it. Then I remember it is definitely a version of a Hot Tuna cut that appeard if my memory is correct on "The Phosphorescent Rat" - but I can't remember which cut (and I was too lazy to check).

13. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Mike, thanks for the info on the current tour. I'm sure I'll enjoy the performance but will try to catch Hot Tuna next time around.

Are there any other good sounding Airplane/HT/Jorma remasters I could pursue while waiting for Hi-Rez releases?

This Quah release is very enjoyable. Could anyone venture a guess on the meaning of "Quah"?

14. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Plenty of discussions/opinions here in the past. Just search on the individual CD's. There are some JA remasters (with bonus tracks) from Europe (Spain/Holland) that no one has discussed yet.

This Quah release is very enjoyable. Could anyone venture a guess on the meaning of "Quah"? [/QUOTE]

In the liner notes it said that Jorma was driving by a Karate school in SF and Mickey Hart was in there breaking bricks. "Quah" was his description of the sound produced.

15. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Well, I went out and bought it myself. "Lord Have Mercy" is the acoustic guitar demo backing track to "Letter To The Noth Star" from The Phosphorescent Rat.
    As expected, this cd reissue of Quah is very, very good. Now if they'd only do the same for Yellow Fever.( I bought that POS French re-issue in 2000.)

16. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Thanks Kayaker, I couldn't read the liner notes because I was driving. Finally got around to them :). I hope to listen at home on the main system this weekend.

Alright, I give up :o, how do you reference a hidden track on a cd?

17. MikeT

You don't. Once the album and the four bonus tracks play - don't stop the disc and about 15 seconds later the Quah radio spot will start to play.

It is "hidden" because it isn't listed on the track listing - and there is that break of silence between the last track and the "hidden" track.

Now, if you were merely be facetious, then disregard all I just said.

18. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

No, no... I thought that maybe there was some interactive trick I never caught on to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.