Joss Whedon back on TV (finally!!!) with 'The Nevers' - HBO

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 93curr, Jul 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 93curr

93curr Senior Member Thread Starter

:goodie:

Well, it's about time, sez I. I assume this will probably be what HBO hopes will take up the slack once 'Game Of Thrones' is done. No pressure, though.

HBO Lands Joss Whedon Sci-Fi Series ‘The Nevers’

HBO has given a series order to “The Nevers,” a science-fiction drama from Joss Whedon. The series is described as a sci-fi epic about a gang of Victorian women who find themselves with unusual abilities, relentless enemies, and a mission that might change the world.

Whedon will serve as writer, director, executive producer, and showrunner.

HBO landed the project in a competitive situation. Netflix had also bid for the ‘The Nevers.’

“I honestly couldn’t be more excited,” Whedon said. “‘The Nevers’ is maybe the most ambitious narrative I’ve created, and I can’t imagine a better home for it than HBO. Not only are they the masters of cinematic long-form, but their instant understanding of my odd, intimate epic was as emotional as it was incisive. It’s been too long since I created an entirely new fictional world, and the HBO team offer not just scope and experience, not just ‘prestige,’ but a passionate collaboration. I could go on, but — I’m impatiently grateful to say — I have work to do.”

Whedon, who is represented by CAA, is also serving as exec producer on “Pippa Smith: Grown-Up Detective,” a half-hour comedy series
    in development at Freeform.

“We have long been fans of the incredibly talented and prolific
    Joss Whedon and we can’t think of a better project than ‘The Nevers’ with which to welcome him to the HBO family,” said HBO programming president Casey Bloys. “We look forward to meeting the strange, multifaceted characters of ‘The Nevers,’ to learn their stories, see them in action and share them with our viewers. We’re honored that Joss chose HBO as the place to build his ambitious new world and we are excited to get started.”

jpelg, Encuentro and kevywevy like this.
  2. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Some fans of Whedon have turned into real bullies so expect some personal attacks on him from the usual sites that cater to that sort of bullying.

Myself, I think this is a good chance for him to tell stories that may remind people that people aren't perfect.

3. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I need more Joss Whedon and less J.J. Abrams.

4. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I tend to agree. I like JJ but he wears his Spielburgian heart on his sleeve and I still haven't seen much truly original from him. I think next Star Wars will be a big test.

Premise sounds intriguing but I don't have HBO so I hope Joss keeps pitching in on Agents of Shield. I'm pretty sure the next abbreviated season will be it's last, so I am hoping they go out with a real bang.

5. 93curr

Has he been pitching in? I wasn't aware he'd had any creative involvement since the pilot episode.

6. Holerbot6000

Maybe so - I always thought he was a behind the scenes contributor, especially given the utter bat-shyte craziness of the last two seasons. Seems like right up his alley. I would swear I've seen his name on several episodes. I just assumed though so I may be incorrect.. But I mean it's his brother's show. If Joss were my brother, I would definitely solicit ideas and feedback. :uhhuh:

7. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

When Agent Coulson woke up mid-way through season 1, there were Whedon's lines of
    "Did I fall asleep?" "For a little while"!

8. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Awesome news. Hopefully it is in the same league as Buffy, Angel and Firefly and not another Dollhouse.

9. Holerbot6000

I think the key term is 'Worldbuilding'. Dollhouse was too insular and disappeared rather quickly up it's own ass. Funnily enough, it seemed more like a JJ show than a Joss show. Plus Eliza Dushku is hot but she is not much of an actress. Petulant and more petulant does not count as 'Range'.

10. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Agree, I always felt that if Amy Acker was the lead of Dollhouse it would have been a much better show. Dushku just couldn't pull off playing a new character each week. Still this is great news as a I am a huge fan of Whedon and couldn't care less about his sex life or problems with his ex.

KAJ1971 likes this.
  11. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

Well, it could always be a mix of Dollhouse and Alien: Resurrection. :D

12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Are there any more details than this, because that sounds like X-Women in the 19th Century (TM). :)

13. 93curr

Nothing yet, but I'm keeping a close eye on Joss's twitter feed just in case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.