Joy Division/New Order compilation “Total” to get vinyl release in November

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimod99, Oct 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips? Thread Starter

New Order - New Order - TOTAL: from Joy Division to New Order To Be Released On Vinyl

New Order are proud to announce the release of TOTAL from Joy Division to New Order on vinyl. Originally released in June 2011 on CD, TOTAL from Joy Division to New Order will be available on vinyl for the very first time on 30th November 2018.

Featuring single versions of tracks from both Joy Division and New Order mastered for vinyl by Frank Arkwright from his 2011 remasters. The iconic album cover was created by Howard Wakefield with art direction from Peter Saville.

TOTAL contains New Order’s UK Top 10 singles Blue Monday, True Faith, Regret and the Number 1 single World in Motion along with classic Joy Division tracks Love Will Tell Us Apart, Transmission, She’s Lost Control and Atmosphere.

TRACKLIST

Side One

Transmission

Love Will Tear Us Apart

Isolation

She’s Lost Control

Atmosphere

Side Two

Ceremony

Temptation

Blue Monday

Side Three

Thieves Like Us

The Perfect Kiss

Bizarre Love Triangle

True Faith

Fine Time

Side Four

World In Motion

Regret

Crystal

Krafty

Hellbent

negative1 likes this.
  2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

3. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

these could sound incredible if the mastering is good, there's space to breathe in side length and the selection is a good overview

negative1 likes this.
  4. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

Honestly, it’s a pretty decent introductory comp especially since some casual listeners don’t even realize the lineage between the band. Not so much for more hardcore fans, but I love the Bradbury Thompson inspired cover by Saville, so seeing that at 12” would be nice.

What shocks me is that New Order isn’t reissuing their version of Substance. Most used copies (even qwest) are getting to $50-100 range now. Huge miss IMO.

JeffMo, hamicle, negative1 and 3 others like this.
  5. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

They should really do a vinyl release of the second disc from the original Substance CD. The one with all the b-sides. I've kept the CD all these years despite having the vinyl as well because that second CD is so good.

6. c-eling

No they'll do International, and the different country's various releases of Best Of, then Substance for RSD at inflated prices. :laugh:
    The old Substance on vinyl isn't worth those asking prices (imo)
    As far as Frank's 2011 digital mastering thrown to wax, meh.

hamicle, Neonbeam and Liam Adams like this.
  7. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Is there a reason why New Order's Substance never got a reissue on double LP? Rights issue or something?

8. ElevateMeLater

ElevateMeLater Jesus of Cool

Sounds like the setup for another tour which Peter Hook has already been doing for years.

adm62 likes this.
  9. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

It was a double LP, all a-sides across 2 LPs.
    Add the b-sides and it will become a 4 LP box. Probably why they didn't do this in '87.

c-eling likes this.
  10. c-eling

Singles was just done, so I don't think there would be a sample clearance issue unless problems exists with the two re-records.
    There is a 'japan bootleg swirled vinyl' floating around
    @jeffmo789 has one, but his advice on SQ is questionable at best ;)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    JeffMo likes this.
  11. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

It's a strange choice for a reissue. but I guess I understand from the point of having a (sort of) current condensed compilation for casual fans who want vinyl and not a 4 LP set (it appears Singles is out of print, going for a hefty sum now), or someone who wants everything on vinyl. I love New Order, but never bought Total when it was first released on CD, and only snagged International when I found an import copy with the second disc in a used bin. The first disc of the Retro box is a near perfect single CD best of, at least up to that point.

Substance should be reissued, I could even see doing a 4 LP set for Record Store Day. I wish they had enough interesting mixes for a volume II.

JeffMo and c-eling like this.
  12. tomd

tomd Senior Member

I’d rather have The Best of (1994 compilation)

DHamilton likes this.
  13. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

"Iconic album cover"? W.H.A.T.? Who are they trying to fool/ attract?

Never could stand this compilation because it's pretty useless. If they had put something together that details the transformation from JD to NO it would at least have made some sense. But this? Complete arbitrary!

14. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Just what I wanted to post - a nice 4LP set of Substance would be really nice. True Faith sounds dreadful on my CD copy. My dream release of a Volume II of Substance would incorporate the fantastic Substance Abuse bootleg from the 90s. That Blue Monday remix is hands down my favorite reworking of said track:

mBen989, Echoes Myron and c-eling like this.
  15. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

What would that look like?

16. Neonbeam

Late period JD singles and early NO tracks? I mean, this one doesn't even have "Everything's Gone Green".

Turntable likes this.
  17. Squealy

Who would the market be for that? I don't know who even buys compilations like this anymore, but they are aimed at the casual listener.

It's a very basic, surface-scratching collection spanning the careers of both bands. Not really "arbitrary," just not meant for existing fans.

JeffMo and Echoes Myron like this.
  18. c-eling

They do Brian, most can be had via good sounding cd singles or very expensive pro's :laugh:

portlandjulian likes this.
  19. Neonbeam

At least a compilation like that would make some sense. Aimed at JD fans with little knowledge of NO.

As it is, "Total" remains arbitrary. Or is there any logic in the selection?

20. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

Agreed, It’s almost cheaper to buy all the singles off Substance and then get the B-sides and artwork, which I have mostly done.

There have to be much less early Factory copies of “Movement” out there than the large quantities of “Substance” that exist but those are listing for 1/2 as much. It’s either that no one wants anything other than “Substance” or more likely that no reissue is out there. I could care less about a reissue for my personal collection, but it should help combat the price surge, and service fans who want sealed copies.

c-eling likes this.
  21. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

22. Squealy

It doesn’t seem any more arbitrary to me than any other best of. The selections seem pretty obvious, when you consider they wanted to represent every time period (hence "Krafty" and not "Everything's Gone Green"). Of course there isn’t space for every single and every classic album track.

23. Neonbeam

This discussion is probably like the "Total" compilation, it's leading nowhere! :biglaugh:

24. Squealy

You haven't seen arbitrary until you've looked through Morrissey's compilation albums.

Collections like this are what they are. You don't have to buy them.

25. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Hey, my Substance vinyl boot is South American! It sounds surprisingly good to me on my cheap system. :)

Did sales of Total on cd really warrant this vinyl reissue?

c-eling likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.