Jriver 17 vs 23

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Scott Sheagren, Apr 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott Sheagren

Scott Sheagren I’m a Metal,Rock,Jazz Fusion,Gaga type of guy. Thread Starter

Time for some Pink Floyd!
    I can’t wait to hear the drums and keyboards on Animals!

2. Scott Sheagren

Yeah man thanks.its like I upgraded speakers,
    That good to me!

3. Scott Sheagren

Honestly I did it before and everything went flat sounding so it must me that SoX resampler.

4. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Try switching back to the default resampler that JRiver uses to find out. It's also a linear phase resampler. See if that resampler sounds flat in comparison to SoX.

Scott Sheagren likes this.
  5. Scott Sheagren

I will I def will!

6. Scott Sheagren

I have to turn the volume up on my amp more.what would that mean?

7. Ham Sandwich

Hover the mouse over the Audio Path button on the toolbar. It's the button that looks like three vertical EQ sliders. That will pop up a floating dialog that will show you if JRiver is doing any volume changes or other changes that might affect volume.

Here's more info on the Audio Path dialog and what the button and dialog look like:
    Audio Path - JRiverWiki

8. Scott Sheagren

Even death magnetic sounds better!
    Not much but better

9. Scott Sheagren

I will tomorrow.and get back to you.

10. Scott Sheagren

No changes were made to the volume.all I can say is the dynamic range increased and now have to turn the volume up a little more.

Darko likes this.
  11. Ham Sandwich

It's a bit unusual that the SoX upsampling is making as much difference as you are saying it does. Makes me suspect that there may be some additional digital processing going on beyond just SoX. But it could also be just the SoX upsampling and the HRT Streamer DAC does really well when 44.1 gets upsampled with SoX linear phase.

When a DAC or amp or preamp provides extra imaging depth and gets some set-backness to the soundstage because of that, the apparent volume can seem to decrease. Partly due to that sort of sound style not seeming to sound as loud as the actual listening decibels would indicate and partly because that sort of sound is easier on the ears to listen at higher volume. The flatter and more forward style of soundstage is more aggressive and can seem louder, more like a rock concert. The deeper style of imaging and soundstage is less aggressive and more like a orchestra symphony concert. 100 dB at a rock concert sounds louder than 100 dB at a symphony.

You can try measuring the dB at your listening position using a dB meter or a dB meter phone app. See if the actual listening volume changes with upsampling enabled and disabled.

12. Scott Sheagren

Yeah the volume thing I’m thinking is due to the soundstage and easier on the ears like you were saying.

13. Scott Sheagren

Sox rocks!i never heard such detail before.

14. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

I hate to be such a killjoy but I doubt that the audio improvements you are experiencing are due only to the SoX. It's either:
    1. You invested a lot of time playing and fiddling with the system so you are preconditioned to expect an improvement, which of course is exactly what happen.
    2. There are other things you did, which may have nothing to do with JRiver, but forgot.
    3. It's a cumulative improvement, small but just enough to enable the system to cross the attention threshold so it's only now that you notice a change.
    I never experienced a WOW when upgrading from one version to another, I know there are some that claims that switching from the 32bit to the 64bit version of JRiver 23 improved their audio quality, but I can't say that I agree with them. However, the quality (just like the Devil) is in the small details, and I think that it's been improving incrementally with each version.

15. Scott Sheagren

All I can say is when I tried jriver 23 that’s when I heard the big difference.
    With 17 if I upsampled it didn’t sound better and if anything it was a thin sound.
    23 for me is a really amazing improvement.
    And all I can say is I checked marked Sox and upsampled to 96khz.that when I heard the big change and noticed it right away with a song I listen to all the time.

16. Vocalpoint

Vocalpoint Forum Resident

While I am glad you are seeing some remarkable improvements - after reading this thread and being stunned that this sort of discovery would be hidden by the masses for so long - I decided to give it a whirl myself. Using a Teac UD-503 and several sets of $500.00+ headphones - like Claude - there was no Wow factor and I do not hear any marked difference in any tracks that I tried. SOX or no SOX

This is bitperfect digital audio that we are talking here. Regardless of whether it's v17 or v23 of J.River Media Center - it is not possible to make massive jumps in quality considering the digital audio stream is technically identical between any version.

Let's be sure that confirmation bias is not playing a role as well. I have read thousands of posts in here ranging from power cords to audio cables and everything in between. If a person spends $500.00 on a new power cable - they will hear what they want to hear - anything to justify that new cable.

VP

17. Scott Sheagren

All my equipment has been the same for many years now.
    And just tried jriver 23 with that Sox.
    I put the buffer on the largest setting and check marked Sox and under output changed everything to 96khz.
    But today will be doing different test to determine the outcome.but for me it was using 23 with Sox upsampling to 96khz and heard a difference right away.

18. Scott Sheagren

19. Scott Sheagren

Can it have to do with asio?
    Is it different in 22 or 23?

20. Vocalpoint

Vocalpoint Forum Resident

ASIO is an audio driver type - usually found in pro audio interfaces - which I do not believe you are using. Should not have anything to do with this.

Unless your device vendor is providing a specific ASIO driver for use in J.River?

I use WASAPI for all playback from all Windows devices.

VP

21. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Is it worth going to jriver from a totally tweaked out FB2k situation? I don't mind paying for it. I recently swapped to a 4k screen on my PC and foobar UI is a mess at 4k I can just swap res but I'm curious about jriver more than that bothers me.

22. Scott Sheagren

I am using asioall or something like that.

23. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

In most cases ASIOFORALL is just a wrapper around kernel streaming and not a true ASIO driver. Also, WASAPI is now at least the equal to ASIO for music listening.

24. Scott Sheagren

Since I upsample to 96khz from 44.1khz which sounds amazing I do get pops here and there
    I may try WASAPI tonight.see if that’ll fixes it.

25. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Media Center 24 now available

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.