Jriver 17 vs 23

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Scott Sheagren, Apr 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott Sheagren

Scott Sheagren I’m a Metal,Rock,Jazz Fusion,Gaga type of guy. Thread Starter

Yeah I’ll prob just get 24

2. Scott Sheagren

Jriver is simply amazing with j remote I can take my tunes lossless anywhere.

3. Reamonnt

Reamonnt Mr.T

I just bought JRiver today folks. Apart from the tweaks suggested above are there any settings I need to change immediately.

Scott Sheagren likes this.
  4. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

Not really, JRiver is a tinkerer's heaven but you don't need to tweak it to make it work properly.

I would recommend you to try the volume leveling and adaptive volume options in the DSP & output format options. play a bit with the various options to create and display the libraries, check how files are tagged because it's one of the most powerful and impressive features of JRiver. It's an extremely configurable software with an outdated and sometime user hostile UI and it takes time to master it.

5. Reamonnt

Reamonnt Mr.T

thanks very much. It has many settings but Im glad I bought it.

6. Scott Sheagren

over time i noticed upsampling did thin the sound.so what makes my system sound so optimal is the sox resampler.simply amazing.destroys any vinyl i have away.

7. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

I have 21. Worth $30 for 24? I admit I still haven't fully utilized it but plan to.

8. Scott Sheagren

it is for me because that sox resampler is amazing to me.honestly id spend 500 for it!my cds ripped lossless through jriver with that sox resampler check sound simply amazing.

9. Scott Sheagren

ill get back to you on that.there are so many settings.did you check that sox resampler?that sox resampler did amazing things to the sound of my cds.

10. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

cool! In

11. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

I will need to uninstall my older version?

12. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

No. You can have the old version and new version installed at the same time. The new version will get installed to a different directory than the old version.

Jriver 24 has a choice of 32-bit or 64-bit versions. Stick to the 32-bit version unless you know the benefits and disadvantages that go with 64-bit applications and know if any plugins you use have 64-bit versions.

13. Reamonnt

Reamonnt Mr.T

I have sox resampler enabled but I turned off the output encoding to 96. Its now displaying 44.1 khz 24bit 2 channel using ALSA (direct connection). It sounds good but ive no idea if im using what the experts would call optimal settings.

14. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

What is this "sox resampler" of which you speak?

15. Claude Benshaul

SoX is a re-sampling and converting code library described here: The SoX Resampler library / Code / [945b59] /README

Jriver implemented the re-sampling portion starting in rev 22 with the Linear Phase, VHQ, Steep Filter settings and there is a discussion about the implementation features here: NEW: SoX Resampling

billnunan likes this.
  16. Scott Sheagren

Sounds right.asio,Sox resampler checked.
    For me when I converted my cds to 96khz it thinned the sound so I don’t touch anything in that setting.i do play everything from memory.and prebuffer set at 30

17. Scott Sheagren

I noticed under advanced setting I have jriver dithering set.that can be a critical setting for sound.

18. Claude Benshaul

You can try the TPDF dithering. It's something that was added back in 2015 following a suggestion by Bob Katz.

19. Reamonnt

Reamonnt Mr.T

Ive set it to TPDF dithering. My pre-buffering setting is 20 seconds?

20. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Hmm, I installed the 64 bit as that's my version of Windows 10.

21. Vocalpoint

Vocalpoint Forum Resident

Version of Windows has nothing to do with it. The 32 bit version of J.River is the most mature and it's the one I choose for all installs.

22. Ham Sandwich

The 64-bit version of JRiver Media Center will work fine for most people. The main issue is that you won't be able to run 32-bit plugins. I use a variety of VST plugins and some are available in only 32-bit versions. If I used the 64-bit version of JRiver I wouldn't be able to use those plugins. 64-bit programs are a good thing and do have some advantages, but not as many or significant of advantages as most people think.

23. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Thanks for the answers all. Is there a JR for dummies as that user UI is not very friendly?

24. Ham Sandwich

I'm not aware of any good JRiver Media Center for Dummies type guides. There have been some intro to digital audio and JRiver type guides published on the internet. But the ones I can recall reading are no longer available. It's something that you would expect there to be some good guides available out there on the internet. But there don't seem to be any current ones that I'm aware of.

The JRiver Wiki is the main source for info about using the program. There is a "Getting Started" section. But that section is not written as a Dummies style into. The "Getting Started" quickly goes into deep dives without clearly giving an overview first.

25. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

What plugins do you use? Just curious since I'm a headphone guy as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.