Jt Sacd

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Loud Listener, Apr 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loud Listener

Loud Listener Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just got the JT/James Taylor SACD. Very nice. It is warm with great drum dynamics. The highs are clean, but not bright or overly crisp. I highly recommend this one if JT is your guy. :thumbsup:

I also got The Police/The Classics SACD. The tracks from Outlandos, Zenyatta, and Ghost and the Machine sound very close to my LPs (Speakers Corner; Nautilus; Nautilus), the SACD being cleaner with better separation of instruments. I have an original Synchronicity LP as well as the MFSL CD. The tracks from Synchronicity on the SACD are cleaner and a little crisper, with punchier bass, than either of the other two. They must have used a different tape for 'Can't Stand Losing You' than was used on the Speakers Corner LP. The LP master has some damage; dropouts and spots where the highs dip on one channel then the next, causing a little bit of a balance shift from side to side. :D

The Dark Side of the Moon SACD is killer. Beats the crap out of the MFSL CD. Nuff said. :love:

I picked up a few other SACD's which I can comment on after listening to: Carole King/Tapestry, Police/Synchronicity, Police/Ghost in the Machine, Mary Chapin Carpenter/Time, Sex, Love.

I only have a stereo SACD player so I can't comment on the multi mixes of those discs that have them. Multi just doesn't really interest me at this point. I would need to get a set of really good matched speakers and amps. The cheap $100 sub woofer I have probably would not suffice either! :(

2. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

The James Taylor SACD's were the first Multi-Channel SACD's that worked for me. Both are excellent! :)

JohnG

3. sgraham

sgraham New Member

I don't see that you need a better sub for surround than for stereo.

4. Loud Listener

Loud Listener Forum Resident Thread Starter

Re: Re: Jt Sacd

I only use the sub for surround audio for video. So consequently most of my surround listening is when fairly low fi information eminates from the rear speakers most of the time. I understand this is not the case with multi channel music, that all the channels except the sub need to match amplifier sections and speakers. I have some really cheap old rear surround speakers. :D

Another issue, I have the Sony DVP-S9000ES, which is a stereo only SACD player. And again, my Sony surround receiver does not have a multi channel set of analog inputs. So there we are. I would need more speakers, amps and a mutli SACD player. :(

My requirements for music are also more discriminating than for video. I use a completely different set of amps (Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 monoblock's, customized) for stereo music, which does not utilise the sub. I do use the Jamo 7.6's for both setups though (front left and right for video). ;)

I listened to the Synchronicity SACD and A/B'd with the original LP and MFSL CD. The SACD wins. Much better separation of instruments. The detail in the reverb of Sting's voice on 'Every Breath You Take' is amazing. There is a great article in the latest Mix Magazine about the recording of this song.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.