Judas Priest re-issues?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wpjs, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Nighthawk68

Nighthawk68 Well-Known Member

Has anyone heard of the Ram It Down, Defenders and Live are going to make it out on vinyl? Amazon has cancelled my Ram It Down, but Defenders is still sitting there waiting for a release date.

2. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

3. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Having researched for a bit..... I've come to the conclusion that these Amazon records sold under Label- NY Catalog Entertanment One are Koch label releases and not recommended.

I just ordered these LPs
    Sad wings----Repertoire
    Rocka Rolla--Repertoire
    Unleashed-Sony

Pouchkine, Queezma and mikedifr0923 like this.
  4. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

Correct. The Koch mastering for Sad Wings and Rock A Rolla are TERRIBLE....AND I believe are the remixes that were used on the HERO HERO compilation from the early 80s. The Repertoire reissues are fantastic.

Pouchkine, metalrules and perplexed like this.
  5. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Thanks for the encouraging response about my new purchases. I'm reading good things about the Sony Unleashed as well.....

Pouchkine and Queezma like this.
  6. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

I am extremely happy with all of the new Sony reissues on vinyl.....especially Unleashed. You should be quite pleased.

Pouchkine, mikedifr0923 and BDC like this.
  7. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I have all the other ones up to SFV and like them.

mikedifr0923 and Queezma like this.
  8. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

No Painkiller?? I was never able to find an OG Pressing on vinyl but think the new reissue sounds great...although nothing to compare it to.

9. perplexed

perplexed Forum Resident

Good to know, thanks

10. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

After SFV I have original LPs for Defenders, Turbo, Firepower....I have everything on CD for my dumb competist tendencies. So for me that is good enough in regards to Painkiller. I don't love Priest's go's at thrash or later Nu metal... I love Firepower though.... Need to revisit the other Halford stuff in the 2000's... May in time pony up for vinyl... Been buying a lot of records lately and gotta slow the F_ck down.

11. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

I am the same....first pressings on vinyl and CD....reissues on vinyl and CD. Got rid of my First Pressing cds when the remasters came out in 02 but then tracked them down again when I started reading on this forum how much better the original cds are lol. And I do agree. I still need Firepower on vinyl. I bought the CD on release day not knowing if it would be good enough to also buy on vinyl....but IMO is their best work since Defenders!

12. Metalrob

Metalrob Forum Resident

I have both the CD and LP of FIREPOWER.The LP are more dynamic and nicer to the ears.It is really worth buying even if you own the CD!

Simon_LDT and Queezma like this.
  13. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Yeah the LP sounds much better than the CD/digital versions.

Simon_LDT, Queezma and Metalrob like this.
  14. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Repertoire Sad Wings of destiny is my prized version now. Half way through side 2 and nary a pop in sight! A nice change..... I also have it on CD and a needle drop recording of an 80s RCA. I'm recording my new Sad Wings as I type.

The only Firepower I need is the LP, which I read about here and sampled on You tube. This made it a done deal. My digital copy is my needle drop recording. I haven't even bothered with MP3 downloads on any of this stuff, no interest. So now I have high expectations of my Repertoire Vinyl of Rocka Rolla, Which I should receive tomorrow. Seems kind of clear to me Repertoire did an even better job with these masterings and pressings than Sony. I think all my Sony's have a pop or 3....Though I am satisfied with them.

Mat86 and Queezma like this.
  15. Rukiki

Rukiki Forum Resident

I am afraid that (except Mofi reissues and the AF cd Steve did) I will pass on anything that Priest reissues without even giving it a chance.

My experience with Judas Priest re-releasing things has been quite similar to my experience of sticking my finger into an electric plug.

Well. At least the "finger into electric plug" thing didn´t cost me money...

16. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

Done! :righton:

Metalrob and BDC like this.
  17. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Your loss. The recent vinyl reissues are outstanding and nicely priced. :agree:

Metalrob and mikedifr0923 like this.
  18. Rukiki

Rukiki Forum Resident

Then I would surely love to hear any of those and change my mind. But I prefer to wait and do that based on somebody else´s investment.

Sorry, but based on my experience, any Judas Priest reissue is guilty until proven innocent. Though I obviously would love to be wrong on this.

19. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

So, you're waiting for someone to buy them and come over your house and play them for you?

Interesting. o_O

20. Rukiki

Rukiki Forum Resident

Hahaha. No way! I happen to have a couple of close friends who also enjoy rock/metal music, have a decent gear and purchase albums on a regular basis.

Actually, normally it goes the opposite way and they try albums/gear at my place. And it´s quite fun when beer is involved in the process :D

Metalrob and mikedifr0923 like this.
  21. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I know the feeling, I've bought a lot of original Iron Maiden vinyl in the last month after living with just the 1998 CD remasters for too long. They're making me very happy though!

Metalrob likes this.
  22. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Do you actually have 1st vinyl pressing of all the Priest catalog..?
    I'd be very curious as to how the newer masterings stack up with the originals.
    Are they pretty close in frequency response?
    I played my new Sad Wings (Repertoire)today and it was vastly different than the not recommended 80s RCA LP mastering which lacks mids/highs. Repertoire Sad Wings seems to have better bass and lower mids (still plenty treble/lower mids) than the Sonys do. I consider it the best remastering yet compared to my Sony's.
    I played Sin after Sin (Sony) today and felt inclined to use a little eq to fill out the bass and lower mids. This doesn't much bother me since I have dynamic range and the end result I consider great sound. If Sony is really just trying to recreate the original sound, I prefer this, even if I use a little EQ.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    Mat86 and Queezma like this.
  23. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

I do have all original pressings up to and including Ram It Down.....for rock a rolla an Sad Wings I have original pressings on the Janus label which sound incredible. I think the RCA pressings are from late 70s or early 80s but I am not familiar with what they sound like? I have an Attic Pressing from 81 and it is tinny, all treble and no mid or low end. My only original pressing I was never impressed with is Sin After Sin and I think the new reissue is a vast improvement. I have not A/B’d any other titles but bit the bullet and purchased most of them based on opinions from this thread. Right now they are my go to copies just because I wanted some nice clean copies and so far I am impressed with what I hear. As far as the CD reissues from 2002 go....I will take the original pressings all day long. That being said I love the packaging of the 02 remasters. And the Repertoire remasters for the first two are ABSOLUTELY the way to go....for the exact reason you described.

Mat86 and Metalrob like this.
  24. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

I was not planning on getting the LP of Firepower as I assumed it would be the same mastering as the CD. £15.99 on Amazon.co.uk and reading yours and Metalrob's posts made me order it.

Very glad I did as this sounds amazing. So much more dynamic, the biggest difference is how well the drums breathe. The cymbals in particular sound so much more natural. Transients have more attack and everything just sounds cleaner. Sounds even better the more it is cranked too!

Metalrob and marblesmike like this.
  25. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

I have and love my cassette version. I wish I bought a second copy just for collector's sake. FWIW, I haven't bought the CD yet despite owning every other Priest album on the format. :hide: