Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by yesstiles, Feb 16, 2007.

1. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

JPN original white label promo vinyl:

[​IMG]

Picked this one up from Disk Union in Tokyo last year and it's immaculate and sounds amazing. For me JPN originals are the top for early Priest vinyl up through British Steel.

2. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member Thread Starter

Well that's handy, because that's all the Priest that really matters. :cool:

808_state likes this.
  3. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

For SFV the US Columbia is pretty incredible if not a trip into the stratosphere. Personally I want to hear Defenders remixed with real drums instead of pads or whatever they used. It just never sounds quite right to me in any format.

ian christopher and Northwind like this.
  4. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Besides the Line and Possum releases, are there any other Hero Hero CDs that have the remixes? Neither of those copies are in stock on eBay or discogs, and I really don't want to resort to buying it on vinyl. I was thinking of picking up this Connoisseur CD since nobody's commented on it here, but I have no way of telling if it's got the RR remixes.

5. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

This guy says it does:

REVIEW: Judas Priest – Hero, Hero (1981)

Always avoid Koch and Transluxe for anything Judas Priest.

cement_head and DiabloG like this.
  6. DiabloG

Alright, I just snagged it. I'm looking forward to hearing the remixes since I'm a big fan of Rocka Rolla. And yes, those Koch and Transluxe remasters are bad. Used to have both versions for the first 2 albums and sold them not too long afterward. I'm pretty happy with the Line RR (even though it could use a slight treble boost) and the Attic SWOD.

dlokazip likes this.
  7. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure that is the one I have and it does include the remixes.

8. DiabloG

Connoisseur Hero, Hero CD samples:

Never Satisfied

Run of the Mill
    Dying to Meet You
    Victim of Changes
    Dreamer Deceiver
    Tyrant

I like the way this CD sounds; very dynamic with natural and pleasing EQ. It gets better when you crank the volume. In fact, I think the Sad Wings tracks sound much better here than on the Attic disc. The Attic sounds too smiley-faced in comparison. The Rocka Rolla remixes aren't necessarily better than the original album, but they're an interesting listen nonetheless. The main things I've noticed are that there's more clarity (without being too bright) and the reverb is different. The guitars still sound a bit thin and screechy in some spots, so I guess that goes down to what Glenn and KK used during the recording.

Curveboy likes this.
  9. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Yup. :) Interesting, but I much prefer the original mixes.

dlokazip and DiabloG like this.
  10. kevin5brown

The Transluxe's do sound bad. But I kept them for the different artwork. ;)

dlokazip likes this.
  11. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Love the original mix though i reissue from a couple ofnyears ago sounds great. LP of course. This is when The Priest started to get that "Judas" sound.

12. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Yah! Replying to a post from 2007. :D

I picked up this weird one today. Mine has a bar code though 4023290011262.

I only bought it because my RCA version is in storage, and I just had to play the album. The packaging on mine is atrocious. Essentially, they took the back of the original Vinyl release and cut it up. So the picture of Halford with his back to the audience takes up the whole of the back side of the jewelcase. This is reproduced again on the back page of the four page booklet. The fold out of the booklet is simply the rest of the pictures from the back cover, in black and white. No text at all. In fact, no EFFORT at all. Just terrible. :D

Think the bass is a little flabby on Victim of Changes, but the rest isn't too bad. It's a DR12, with no track lower than a DR11. Bought mine for £3.20.

13. kevin5brown

One of the best sounding CDs for that one, IMO.

SOONERFAN likes this.
  14. DiabloG

The RCA, Transluxe, and Koch versions of Rocka Rolla all stay in sync with each other. In addition to that, the Transluxe completely cancels out with the RCA once you level match and invert the phase. To complicate matters a bit more, the TECP Japan CD syncs with the Line mastering. Out of all the versions I compared (most of them up to the Koch remaster), it seems that only the Repertoire had a unique transfer. All of this applies to Sad Wings as well, though I'm not sure about the TECP as I haven't heard it yet. The Connoisseur Hero Hero and Line Sad Wings both use the same tape source (I could tell because they each have the same "crackling" noise during the fade-in on Victim of Changes), but the transfers are different. If you're looking for the RCA CDs, I guess the Transluxe versions would be worth getting instead since they're cheaper and sound exactly the same. :)

HumanMachinery likes this.
  15. jeffreybh

jeffreybh Gunter Gleiben Glauchen Globen

16. kevin5brown

I think the RCA/Transluxe discs sound a w f u l. But I like the Transluxe artwork. :hide:

17. DiabloG

After comparing several versions, my favorite version of Sad Wings is the Line CD. In spite of the channel imbalance, it sounds marvelous; no need for me to look further.
    It looks to be from Repertoire. I hope they did a new mastering from good tapes instead of simply using their existing CD as a source.

SOONERFAN likes this.
  18. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

I have the Repertiore CD and it is absolutely marvelous. What's wrong with the source from the CD?

Pouchkine likes this.
  19. DiabloG

Nothing wrong with the source, it sounds good. In my comment above, all I meant was that I didn't want Repertoire to literally put the CD mastering on vinyl. That's what happened with the 2010 Sony reissues and I think with the Koch vinyl as well.

20. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Isn't the Repertiore version heavily compressed? I actively avoid their discs now, every one I came across had been compressed for no good reason.

21. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

It's newer Repetoire stuff that tends to be compressed. If you get a pressing of some album on Repetoire that was made back in the 90s different story. I think people are talking about two completely different Repetoire discs here.

22. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Okay, so now you made me check. :D

The DR Database does indeed list the Repetiore discs of Sad Wings (3 of them). On 4552-WY and 5237, both from 93, both are compressed (keep in mind the best DR value for Sad Wings on CD is 12 overall). The Repotiore's are DR 9 and DR 7 respectively. It seems there was a later 2011 release from them, no idea what the numbers say on that one.

According to Discogs, these are the only CD releases of Sad Wings from Repetiore.

23. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The DR7 CD is the newer Rep CD.

Album details - Dynamic Range Database

More compressed than the earlier one.

DR9 might not be ideal but it's respectable. Haven't heard either of these discs though.

Speaking of Rep, here is the DR log from my '91 CD of Tank's first album. As you can see not everything Rep has released is excessively compressed:

foobar2000 1.3.17 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2018-09-20 15:48:05

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Tank / Filth Hounds of Hades
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR11 -2.31 dB -14.97 dB 3:11 01-Shellshock
    DR11 -2.05 dB -14.27 dB 3:10 02-Struck by Lightning
    DR11 -1.91 dB -15.52 dB 3:40 03-Run Like Hell
    DR12 -2.07 dB -16.05 dB 3:43 04-Blood, Guts and Beer
    DR11 -1.94 dB -15.46 dB 5:26 05-That's What Dreams Are Made Of
    DR11 -1.75 dB -14.82 dB 3:22 06-Turn Your Head Around
    DR11 -0.69 dB -14.87 dB 3:25 07-Heavy Artillery
    DR11 -2.17 dB -15.47 dB 3:06 08-Who Needs Love Songs?
    DR12 -2.32 dB -15.66 dB 3:56 09-Filth Hounds of Hades
    DR12 -1.93 dB -15.04 dB 5:17 10-(He Fell in Love With a) Stormtrooper

Number of tracks: 10
    Official DR value: DR11

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 16
    Bitrate: 916 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

24. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

My copy of "The Collection" on Castle arrived today. Looking forward to comparing Sad Wings on this with the Transluxe CD I've lived with for awhile now. Unfortunately the German Line CD some like here appears to be not so cheap anymore on the used market so I'll probably have to skip it for awhile.

25. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Keep an eye out - I bought it on Ebay at the end of June for $5. Weirdly it was listed as "Various Artists: Sad Wings of Destiny.

patient_ot likes this.