Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by yesstiles, Feb 16, 2007.

1. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

but is there a better CD version? would it be the original Line?

2. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I have the Koch version and I can't really remember what it sounds like. It's been years since I've listened to it...I should pull it out again. I seem to remember it not sounding the greatest though.

3. Adular Zech

Adular Zech Forum Resident

Don't worry, Arthur, with the white faced Japan CD you are still going to get a very good sounding CD imho. NR isn't exactely what we want, but on the white faced TECP it is really not that bad, and there is still a lot of noise left in the music (I suppose this is the reason is why I just didn't think of the nr thing when writing the review, however, I don't want to give wrong or misleading comments, that's why I was so frustrated yesterday night); only in the very quiet moments you recognize NR (and a little of the "pumping" seems to be on the original recording, though; it's on the WG Line and the Collection, too).

Today I listened to Dreamer Deceiver and Deceiver on the TECP and the Repertoire and I do prefer the TECP without doubt. The Rep is MUCH louder , you can't crank it up and it appears to be less dynamic than the TECP. The TECP delivers the punch of good dynamics which provides the joy of listening, evident on Deceiver when played at a proper volume.
    On the Rep, everything is somehow rough and "noisy"; in the louder and loudest moments everything becomes muddy/blurred, esp. the hi hats and cymbal crashes - on the TECP everything is much cleaner and more precise and can be recognized clearly, even in the loudest periods (a result of the different EQ choice, I suppose; again, it is NOT sharp or shrill at all - I hate such kind of sound).

The WG Line has the most analog feel to it and is smoother/warmer than the TECP, so I would prefer it to the TECP, but this may be a question of personal taste; the Line is mastered at a VERY low level, perhaps too low in some people's eyes. As mentioned, The Collection (Castle CCSCD213) has an analog feel to it, too, but I have to take a closer listen.

When you get the TECP, listen to it "without prejudice" and let us know how you think about it! :wave:

4. Apparently Snapper have released Sad Wings of Destiny twice:

1998 - cat # SMMCD 562

2003 - cat # SDPCD120

Does anyone know if there's any differences in terms of sound quality?

5. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

thanks for all the info. from your description it sounds like we have similar tastes in regards to mastering of hard rock/metal.

as soon as i get my copy i will post my findings. thanks for all your help/advice.:cheers:

6. mrlefty

mrlefty Forum Resident

Picked up the RCA of Sad Wings for $3.99 today. It seems to be an upgrade from my KOCH copy, but not by much. The front insert is particularly disappointing, with an ad for RCA "Mid-Line" Compact Disc titles on the inside. I could not find a release date or any other info on the RCA version on Discogs.com... anybody know when this CD title came out?

7. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I like my Koch copy. You can crank that baby pretty good. I just listened to it again after reading this thread.

4stringking73 likes this.
  8. Phoney Baloney

Phoney Baloney Member

I have the Ovation LP and it is one of my fave J.P. titles.

9. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

this is my go-to version - I haven't found a CD version that I like yet

10. Taylan

Taylan Forum Resident

I have come across these and i guess the one to go for is the LICD?

Transluxe 57802-2
    LICD 9.00112
    RCA 4747-2-R

I also saw a 2fer with Sad Wings of Destiny & Rocka Rolla (LICD 9.21214 S) Anybody that owns this?

11. Taylan

Taylan Forum Resident

I didn't see a thread for Rocka Rolla, which one is the best sounding for this album? I think the 2fer sounds wonderful, here is the back cover.
    [​IMG]

Couldn't edit out the Transluxe one since it's the same as the bad sounding Koch.

12. In-Absentia

In-Absentia Forum Resident

Is that the only 2fer of Rocka Rolla and Sad Wings out there? I came a similar 2fer a couple weeks ago but I don't think it was done by line. If it was, I really should have gotten it.

13. Taylan

Taylan Forum Resident

I have no idea if there are any JP 2fer's from another label, if there was i would of mentioned about it (If i saw it of course)

I found out that the The Sad Wings of Destiny from the 2fer and the individual CD with the catalog # LICD 9.00112 are the same mastering. I would suggest the 2fer and or the individual SWoD disc (LICD 9.00112) sounds a little muddy but i can live with it.

14. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

ok, here's mine, bought for about $10 in Tokyo:

Attached Files:

15. Taylan

Taylan Forum Resident

This one is listed as the first Japanese pressing, it probably shares the same mastering with the one released on Line Records. I guess you got a great sounding disc for $10:wave:

16. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

I got this one as well. Bought it from an online seller in Japan for 17 USD.

I also have the Judas Priest 2Fer on Attic (CACD 24110 - 241 Double Header). Manufactured in 1992. It also sounds very good.

17. Taylan

Taylan Forum Resident

Anybody want to let me know with a short answer which CD version the majority prefers for Rocka Rolla? :)

Is the ESCA 5253 Priest in the East and 42.8P-215 Priest...Live! the best soundings for the first 2 live albums?

18. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

German Line for Rocka Rolla. The Repertoire doesn't sound bad, but it's definitely a "modern" mastering vs the Line.

19. Adular Zech

Adular Zech Forum Resident

This is the disc I am talking about in post No.s 120, 125, 128.

I suppose this is the first Japanese release of Sad Wings; much later than the Line and The Collection releases.

It's a different mastering than the Line and all other masterings discussed (however, it may be derivated from one of those masterings, but with obvious changes), and easily better than Rep/Snap, RCA and all more recent editions.

Enjoy!

20. Taylan

Taylan Forum Resident

German Line is the one that begins with LICD as catalog #?

21. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Yup. LICD9.00101 O

Another Line to look for is Hero, Hero. Has the Roger Bain remixed Rocka Rolla on it. LIDCD 10.0004 P

I like the original Rocka Rolla better, but it's certainly "interesting." :)

22. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I recently bought the 1st three Humble Pies on Repertoire and really love how they sound and in a thread about that it's mentioned that the 1st two Priests are on Repertoire as well. So I've just started to research that, see if it is worth bothering upgrading what I already have of Priest's first two, which has led me to this thread....

.....but after reading this thread I can't digest it all, has too many twists and turns for my brain to keep it straight.

I have a KOCH for Sad Wings, from 2000, KOC-CD-8007 which may be different from the other KOCH mentioned here???? Is the Repertoire version different or "better" than this?

And for Rocka Rolla I have a 1998 Snapper, SMMCD561. Is that the same mastering as the Repertoire?? I think it was said that it is but I'm not sure.

I think I used to have LINE record versions for both of these but got rid of them when I "upgraded" them for newer versions, I kind of remember the Lines sounding too hissy for my tastes but maybe I am confused. Seems like people like those Lines after reading this...

It seems like the Repertoires can be had cheap on Amazon but I don't see the Lines there.

Thanks for some hints!

23. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

People like the "original old CD sound" of the Lines. I do not. This is the one I like. This is the very best from 2006. They used the correct original tapes, and the track order is correct. Don't ask me how I know that. I read it on some other site I lost track of, but it sounds perfect and speaks for it's self.

[​IMG]

24. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Thanks HD, that version probably sounds amazing, but is more than I want to spend - I'm guessing that must run like $30-40 (or more??).

25. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Yes it does run that much, but keep a look out for one cheaper. I love the way it sounds. Some may not like it for being modern, but I think they did the best job they could do with it. It sounds good, but the packaging rules. Mini LP CD and all that.