Judy Garland died on this day in 1969

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lawrence Schulman, Jun 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lawrence Schulman

Lawrence Schulman Senior Member Thread Starter

Garland died in London on June 22, 1969. May we all give a thought to her on this sad day.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I remember the day well. Start of my summer vacation. I was shocked and saddened.

3. Lawrence Schulman

I was shocked, but not surprised.

4. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Such a great singer. I heard an accetate? of her singing at twelve years old on a radio program i listen too. Childlike voice but she sounded fully adult in her singing and inflections. Super cool. Excellent singer.

I remember my mom saying she had a hard time watching her because she just seemed troubled. It came across to her in a way that she felt uncomfortable.

Judy put it all into every note. One of my all time faves. RIP Judy.

zbir likes this.
  5. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

A truly great artist ... and it wasn't only rock stars who had personal demons.

Vinyl_Blues and zbir like this.
  6. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

There was a documentary about her (on [US network] PBS?) a couple years ago. One of the saddest things in retrospect (and one of the last things shown) was a clip of her singing "Over the Rainbow" at a concert not long before her death.

I don't remember if it was this clip or another one - but there was also a clip near the end of Judy's life where Liza Minelli (daughter) came up on stage with her.

zbir and kennyluc1 like this.
  7. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

8. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

A great singer and actor, but even more importantly, one of the all-time great entertainers!

zbir and Greenalishi like this.
  9. BITBANGER

BITBANGER Senior Member

Judy, Judy, Judy.
    They broke the mold after she came.

10. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

No disrepect, but she looks a little like Macca circa "Let It Be" with those fake whiskers!
    RIP, Frances.

xilef regnu and fr in sc like this.
  11. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

Now that you mention it ... :)

12. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

This is still one of the saddest deaths of an entertainer.

Greenalishi likes this.
  13. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

She was famously vulnerable, yet tough.

[​IMG]

14. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

I really appreciate you taking my comment in the spirit it was intended!
    We could use a little more of that around here. :hide:

15. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Following question is asked in all seriousness -- and not to detract from the thread ----
    are these real whiskers, or are they makeup of some kind (like she was being made up to be a cat), or are their presence here somehow an artifact of the old film?
    (I cannot play this video on the system I am currently on which is why the third option is listed)

16. Makeup. Doing a routine as a Hobo.

17. Lawrence Schulman

The whiskers are charcoal or some kind of black makeup. She originally sang "A Couple of Swells" in Easter Parade (1948) in the same fashion. In the early 1950s, for her stage show, she would first do "A Couple of Swells" made up as such, then segue into "Over the Rainbow." In the video, one is thus seeing how she performed the song on stage in the early 1950s.

coffeetime likes this.
  18. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

Forget watching the movie, Judy Garland's screen test for the Valley of the Dolls
    is true entertainment.

Greenalishi and zbir like this.
  19. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

Great, great...and underrated IMO, singer.

Her story reminds me of Syd Barrett of The Pink Floyd. Not the singing part of course, but the life in the limelight and in particular, the effects of a drug "overdose". Whatever it was they took (acid, I assume in Syd's case), there came a time they took too much and seemingly overnight, they changed. You can see it in the eyes (black holes in the sky). They went from bright, engaging people to something that looked lost...wondering, dead eyes. So sad.

Anyway, I love Judy's singing, even after the drugs. One of my favorites:

Greenalishi likes this.
  20. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

21. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

She was an angel

Greenalishi likes this.
  22. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Syd Barrets decline had nothing to do with acid, and I assume the same with Ms. Garland. There are deeper psychological issues that affected both of them. Drug use and alcohol just unfortunately sped up the process.

Greenalishi likes this.
  23. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I remember I heard the news on my hand held transistor radio, in the bathroom of our Chicago home. I was 10 years old. Meant something because Mom was a big fan, and I had to be the one to tell her. :cry:

Greenalishi likes this.
  24. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

My late Grandma was a huge fan of Judy Garland and she loved everything The Wizard Of Oz. She was also a fan of Mickey Rooney and liked the Andy Hardy movies as well. As a young kid I was introduced to The Wizard Of Oz by my Grandma and I love the movie to this day. I also like some of the Andy Hardy movies. I liked Mickey Rooney when I was a kid in The Black Stallion. Judy was quite a beautiful and talented lady but sadly she burned out. I'm also a fan of her daughter Liza Minnelli in the Arthur movies. She was great in those movies. Unfortunately she's had her troubles as well.

Greenalishi likes this.
  25. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

I just read the Mickey Deans book on her not too long ago. Really crazy and sad last few years she had.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.