Julian Cope Album by Album by Single by EP by Pseudonym Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Summer of Malcontent, May 29, 2017.

1. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident Thread Starter

Dope's fifth release in a year is a quarter-hour download-only track called 'The Intergalactic Re-Gilding of Detroit', now available from Head Heritage.

2. Summer of Malcontent

2005 Round-Up:

[​IMG]
    DUE TO LACK OF INTEREST TOMORROW HAS BEEN CANCELLED (2005)

Head Heritage compilation with two new Julian Cope tracks:

Due to Lack of Interest Tomorrow Has Been Cancelled
    Saturday Night with the Lord

‘Due to Lack of Interest’ later included on Floored Genius 4.

[​IMG]
    CONCERT CLIMAX: LIVE IN THE HEARING OF THE MOTHER****ER (2005)

Los Generation / Easter Everywhere / How the West Was Lost / The Living Dead / Living in the Room They Found Saddam In / I’m Gonna Get Some / Untitled / By the Light of the Silbury Moon

Compilation of live tracks. Likely another ‘adopted’ bootleg. Available for purchase at 2006 concerts.

[​IMG]
    COPE ON THE ROPE: HAMMERSMITH, 2003 (2005)

White Van / Like a Motherf**ker / Shaman UFO / Primitive Marshall Cabinet / Love Peace & F**k / Hairy Music / Kar-Ma-Kanik

Live tracks from October and November 2003. Included with Autumn 2005 issue of Italian music magazine Mucchio Extra.

3. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Missed this post.

My 2000000 cents on Dark Orgasm....quite possibly his greatest album of the 2000s (right behind LP&F). I was a few years back into a heavy Cope phase, and been reading and listening to his Album of the Month's (which I feel could be the basis for a college credit), and really really really digging the new direction he was going (truly all of the directions!). Unlike CC, DO watch instantly loved, listened and rererelistened to for several years. It's really the Mark 2 version of Brain Donor, with Mister E on drums, but song wise more Cope-like than BD like (not quite as much Mellotron). I would have loved to see this band live, but a trip overseas was not in the cards in 2006.

Song wise, I truly like everything on it, not a dud in the mix. Zoroaster sets the mood for a dark and brooding time, but the bass and drums kicking in for White Bitch just negate that feeling and get me in a dancing mood. Thematically and lyrically, the album is anti-religion and anti-anti-feminist, though cryptic in that special Cope way. His Drudion writings of that time period reflected this as well. Dividing many fans, but being true to his own damn self. It was also this period where he started dressing like a "cartoon rock star" (his words) donning leather vest, gloves and German military hat. 13 years later he still hasn't changed.

Back to the music, Ring on her Finger, Mr. Invasion and Nothing to Lose are fun rockers. I recall him saying how he brought back a recording technique for this album which he hadn't used since the Teardrops days, but search me what that would be.

I probably like I Don't Wanna Grow Back the best of the first disc. Just a great groove and

Disc 2 features all 21 minutes of The Death and Resurrection Show. Title borrowed/stolen from the Rogan Taylor book, subtitled "From Shaman to Superstar". This track sounds just like a mini glam-rock Broadway piece without the love story. Sections of hard driving rock with gentle interludes. It's unlike anything else he's attempted before or since, and it's brilliant.

My words don't really do the album justice, but I would recommend a second third and sixth chance be given to this kind of ignored album. It is worth it.

Max Florian likes this.
  4. Summer of Malcontent

[​IMG]
    RITE BASTARD (2006)

So Tough / Too Stone

Scope J likes this.
  5. citizensmurf

More catching up. I'll probably be the lone positive commentor on the eventual 131 related releases so hang on.

Due To Lack of Interest....

This compilation was another great roundup of new HH-related bands, and a couple o' Citizen Cain'd outtakes. The title was due to be used as the next, now long since vanished Queen Elizabeth album, but Cope decided to write and record the title song and go with this concept instead.

The rest of the non-Cope tracks are from various Album of the Month contenders, and of course some bands that never were heard from again. The press page said it contains an Alex Harvey song, but I'm not sure if that's a lie. This comp introduced me to The New Lou Reeds and Temple of Bon Matin, 2 superbly underacheiving bands who have moments of utter greatness. Funny how Cope chose another old Universal Panzies song instead of something newer. Overall a solid comp and not worth paying Ebay prices for.

Concert Climax

This is a fun one. A genuine real fake bootleg made by Cope in the vein of those classic dodgy Italian compilations. Complete with bad angle cover photo, ridiculous stylized logo (presumably for a series of releases), and nonsensical track inclusion (Easter Everywhere, possibly from the MNU tour, thrown in with a bunch of CC outtakes).

Song wise, it's a great mix of some more CC era songs/other versions. Living in the Room is mostly distortion free for those audio purists who like it not in the red. Stand out track is the live take of Silbury Moon from the Audience tour. Again, not worth buying at Ebay prices.

Cope on the Rope

I'm glad I only paid $10 for this. It's mastered in the wrong speed, and it misses most of the great songs from the Rome shows. Will Cope break down one day and give us a proper live album? I'll be waiting.

6. citizensmurf

This is my least favourite of the Rite series. Historically interesting inclusion of the "first" Rite session, but it bubbles up small bits of not much interest, and gets boring real quick. The new track has potential, but dare I say it goes on too long. 18 minutes would have been enough, especially with no Klaus-inspired synth explorations.

7. Tripecac

Tripecac Forum Resident

I just re-listened to Rite Bastard for the first time since 2006.

Sigh. It is indeed tedious. It's a shame, since there's a lonnnnng guitar (or is that synth?) solo and in theory I should like that. But I barely notice it. It's just part of the background. Maybe it's just the production that makes this boring? Maybe if the guitar were more forward and the repetitive background synths weren't so prominent?

Hmmm....

Next!

8. Summer of Malcontent

[​IMG]

CHRIST VS WARHOL (2007)

Strasbourg / Quizmaster / An Elegant Chaos / Kolly Kibber’s Birthday / Wreck My Car / Sunshine Playroom / She Brings Me Flowers / Jesus Christ & the Mysterons / Hobby / Hey, High Class Butcher / Strasbourg (demo) / Bill Drummond Said / Holy Love / Mik Mak Mok

Another ‘official bootleg’ from Head Heritage.

Alternative versions and outtakes from the World Shut Your Mouth and Fried sessions.

9. Summer of Malcontent

[​IMG]

YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH ME (2007)

Side One: Doctor Know / Beyond Rome / Soon to Forget Ya / You Gotta Problem With Me / They Gotta Different Way of Doing Things / Peggy Suicide Is a Junkie
    Side Two: A Child is Born in Cerrig-y-Drudion / Woden / Sick Love / Can’t Get You Out of My Country / Vampire State Building / Hidden Doorways / Shame Shame Shame

Oh, and there's yet another new Dope album up for sale on Head Heritage.

10. Tripecac

Tripecac Forum Resident

I just re-listened to Christ vs Warhol. It's a nice bunch of demos. Not very different from the final versions, but enjoyable nonetheless. It's amazing how sharp Cope's songwriting was back then.

11. Tripecac

Tripecac Forum Resident

...and in contrast, there's You Gotta Problem with Me, which, while also sounding more like demos than "real" tracks, is a muddy, yelly mess which is wayyy too in love with cheesy explosions and synth effects. It's like a bunch of unfinished and/or rejected songs from an era of Cope that I don't particularly like.

Yep, this album annoys me SO MUCH. Here's a run-down:

"Doctor Know" aims to be epic but is a chore to get through. As an opener, it shows just how little Cope cares about pleasing the listener. Listener? What listener?

"Beyond Rome" is painfully slow and aimless.

"Soon to Forget You" has a decent guitar progression with a weird lecture superimposed on top. When the singing finally kicks it's obvious he had no ideas how to finish the song.

"You Got a Problem with Me" is upbeat, and almost redeems things, but the over-the-top synths ruin it. Especially with headphones. It's like someone is playing the most annoying Queen Elizabeth synths in the right ear. A horrible effect.

"They Gotta Different Way of Doing Things" sounds offensively nationalistic without being clever. If he's sympathetic to non-Brits, it's not obvious. It just sounds dumb. There's no humor, just bitterness. Or mean-ness. This song annoys me. Except for the guitar solo about 3/4 of the way through, which I really like. That's the most musical moment on the album so far. Too bad it's tied to those annoying lyrics!

"Peggy Suicide Is a Junkie" is a decent riff, but the vocals are yelly and all in the left ear, while the lead guitar is all in the right ear. It's sounds like Cope and the guitar player had a falling out and decided to be in different ears. Or maybe it was a joke. Or "artistic" (snort). Either way, the song's listenability suffers. The feeling is that Cope is actively trying to annoy the listener. Yes, I have a problem with him.

"A Child Is Born on Cerrig-Y-Drudian" sounds Skellington-esque and is kinda pretty. But then the high-pitched synths kick in. And I start to get annoyed again. Jeez, enough with the synths!!!! Cope really needs a producer, someone to tell him "no", or to at least tone down the annoyances. Is Cope going deaf?

"Woden" has a cool groove. It's semi-catchy, decently mixed, but it doesn't really go anywhere. Still, it's my favorite song on the album.

"Sick Love" is cheesy crooning. The guitar solo is high pitched, full of flubs, and cuts off abruptly. No. Just No.

"Can't Get You Out of My Country" sounds like more anti-foreigner sentiment. The groove is nice, the synths are lower pitched and not too annoying, but the mix sounds very narrow, maybe even mono. Why? Are Cope and the guitarist best friends again or something? Is mixing this in mono a symbol of their renewed BFF-ness? I feel like this album is full of inside musical references, which we have no chance of "getting". And Cope really doesn't care. About Us. At all.

"Vampire State Building" might have a clever title, but the actual lyrics are dumb. "It stretched so high - it touched the sky" - really? Did Cope's kids write the lyrics for this album? And oh man, the music is a plodding, synth-drowned mess. If Cope's intention was to create a feeling oppressiveness, he definitely succeeded. But, given the clunkiness of the rest of the album, the effect doesn't come across as intentional or humorous. It's just a further exploration of his nationalist (in this case, anti-US) sentiment.

"Hidden Doorways" sounds like a demo that Cope didn't want to bother developing into a real song. It's not bad, and if it had been the only lo-fi song on the album (and had some real drums) it might have felt like a quirky little footnote, but it's just one of many undeveloped songs.

"Shame Shame Shame" starts off slow and jangly, but gradually builds into a truly groovy epic jam rivaling Safesurf-- Well, actually, no, it doesn't. It feels like it shouldn't but it never actually gets going... except for the last 30 seconds, when the pace picks up, but nothing actually happens. The lyrics jump repeat over and over. And there's some fast piano note in the right ear. And a rapidly thumping tom or high-pitched kick drum. De-constructed, the 30 second "jam" at the end is just thump-thump-thump-thump-thump without any actual ideas. Or solos. Or anything. And it only last 30 seconds. So it's a teaser for what COULD have been an epic closing. But only a teaser. And he abruptly cuts if off. As if saying "no, none of that FUN stuff. This is a SERIOUS album."

Ugh.

Painful, painful, painful. It's like there's bad idea after bad idea on this album. Cope's attitude towards the listener seems to oscillate between indifference and hostility.

Before I first listened to this album, the title seemed like a question. After I listened to it, the title seemed like a statement. Or, even, a command.

In other words, Cope actively CREATES the problem(s) we have with him. While not offering any solutions to anything.

So, why would anyone actually WANT to listen to this album? Does it appeal to masochists, people who genuinely enjoy being treated poorly? It that how Cope feels about himself these days? Self-flagellating?

Or am I completely missing something here? Is this album full of jokes my literal mind just can't get? Does it effectively express sentiment my non-nationalistic perspective just can't relate to? Or is it just a matter of bad luck; did I do this album a disservice by re-listening to it right after [the relative brilliance of] Christ vs Warhol?

Bassist and kyodo_dom like this.
  12. moonweed

moonweed Member

YGAPWM.....an album so bad it stopped us dead in our tracks and made us ask why we're doing this?

i really liked shame, shame, shame

Bassist likes this.
  13. Tripecac

Tripecac Forum Resident

Well, I think "...Problem with Me" was a low point. For me, at least. After this, things get better. I look forward to listening to (and talking about) the next albums!

14. Summer of Malcontent

I'll take that as my cue!

Two 2007/08 releases, then I'll do a great big post for Black Sheep (the band)

[​IMG]

VERMICHTE DIE GOTTER – KABALIST (2007)

Vermichte Die Gotter / Schamane 262 / Woden’s Wilde Jagd

Collaborative album with Chris Olley. Reissued in 2014 as part of his tenth Muzik Klub release and sold via Olley’s website.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BLACK SHEEP (2008)

Disc One – Return of the Native: Come the Revolution / It’s Too Late to Turn Back Now / These Things I Know / Psychedelic Odin / Blood Sacrifice / The Shipwreck of St. Paul
    Disc Two – Return of the Alternative: All the Blowing-Themselves-Up-Mother****ers (Will Realize the Minute They Die That They Were Suckers) / Feed My Rock’n’Roll / Dhimmi Is Blue / The Black Sheep’s Song / I Can Remember This Life

15. kyodo_dom

kyodo_dom Forum Resident

You Gotta Problem with Me is not a particular favourite of mine either. However, regarding "They Gotta Different Way of Doing Things" I don’t think Cope is being nationalistic, as that’s a trait I’ve not really (ever?) encountered in his music and which would be a turn-off for me, but I think the lyrics are dealing with women and religion, particularly how women are treated in some Islamic societies. At least that’s my take on it. Still doesn’t make it a great song...

As for "Can't Get You Out of My Country", that’s being sung from the perspectives of (initially) downtrodden kids in Iraq and Sudan, so has an anti-imperialist or possibly anti-religious sheen to me, rather than an anti-foreigner one. But then it goes a bit mad when he sings of an ex-pat after a drink in Saudi...but still, I think this is Cope on his anti-organised religion soapbox.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  16. Tripecac

Tripecac Forum Resident

Yay!!!! Black Sheep was a delicious return to form, a huge relief after the past few albums, which tended to be oppressive, bland, bitter, and annoying.

"Come the Revolution" starts things off with a dirge but then the tuneful chorus emerges, like a crack in the clouds. And then a tasteful crescendo of wah guitar, melodic harmonies, tasteful synths... The song ends with optimistic feel, and force once I can easily forgive the all-too-familiar explosion sounds.

"It's Too Late to Turn Back Now" is a bit rough-sounding, but isn't annoying. It's very garage-band-esque. The production makes it easy to visualise the band playing together. The repetitive piano reminds me (loosely) of "Out of My Mind on Dope and Speed". And then, like the first song, this one has a great ending coda. A psychedelic mix of delicate and aggressive, reminding me of classic Cope.

"These Things I Know" is great! Rhythmic, catchy, sing-along. It's Cope's most engaging song since Intepreter. The ending is a little slow, but forgivable since the rest is super.

"Psychedelic Odin" continues the winning streak. It's a little heavy on the organ, but has a nice bouncing, propulsive feel. Again, he falls back explosion/storm sounds, but they don't seem out of place here, perhaps because of the subject matter. The spoken section at the end is weird, but in a Cope-y way, so if you enjoy his early b-sides, it fits right in. Overall, the song is a very solid, very Cope-y mini-epic.

"Blood Sacrifice" is quiet, melodic, and odd. It's more weird than catchy, but doesn't feel out of place, either on this album, or anywhere in Cope's catalog. It could just have easily been written (or possibly recorded) in the early 1980s.

"The Shipwreck of St Paul" is eerie, with low synths and effected vocals. As with the previous song, it's weird, in a comforting, Cope-y way.

"All the Blowing-Themselves-Up..." is clunky but catchy. It's silly. And this silliness is SO MUCH BETTER than the bleak bitterness of the past few albums. This song certainly isn't a classic in a conventional sense, but it is definitely memorable, and is definitely Cope.

"Feed My Rock'n'Roll" continues the silliness. Catchy, toe-tapping. Cope's clearly on a roll, both in terms of writing and performance. His attitude on this album is light, engaging, inviting. It's the opposite in feel to the last album, which seemed to deliberately repel/antogonise listeners.

"Dhimmi Is Blue" is a ballad, I guess. It's okay. Reminds me of slower songs on Twenty Mothers. Those weren't my favorite and neither is this, but it's not offensive.

"The Black Sheep's Song" has nice tuneful singing but the tamborine is WAYYY too loud. Distractingly so. It's hard to hear anything other than that tamborine. Tamborine. Tamborine. This one's screaming for a remix. Tamborine.

"I Can Remember This Life" is a moody epic. Interesting, with good singing. I don't normally listen to words, so I'm not really sure what it's about. Religion? Politics? Everything? Anyway, it's tuneful, and feels profound. A fitting closer to the album.

And that's it! A very enjoyable, very Cope-esque album. No real clunkers. No annoying moments. Tamborine. Oh yeah, except for the tamborine. But really, this was such a huge improvement over the last few albums, that I started getting excited about Cope releases again, for the first time in wayyyyyy too many years.

Finally!

17. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

Skellington Vol 3 is out , great stuff

18. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Forum Resident

Indeed! The first album by him I've enjoyed in almost 20 years!

dlemaudit likes this.
  19. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

Yep , not being a fan of his Krautrock stuff , this was a relief. Acoustic guitar and real songs !!!

Steve Douglas likes this.
  20. citizensmurf

Late to the party, but here's my take on YGAPWM. Certainly not his best, but not his worst either. It doesn't help things when you start the album off with what should have been a unreleased B side rehearsal take. Nothing really picks up until the title track, but then they dive back down. Peggy Suicide is a Junkie is the standout track, and I'm not sure if it is a reworking of the promo only PS era track "Jung'kie" (cuz I've never heard it so who knows), but it's a great track, threatening to break out into a full on rocker at any point, yet remains restrained.

Phase 2 is miles better in comparison. A Child is Born is a beautiful song, and a preview of the songs he would write for Black Sheep. I love Woden, it's simple yet powerful. I can't say much for the rest of the album, though thematically and stylistically, they all fit in with his headspace at the time. Reading the monthly Drudions, his anti-religion, anti-fascist, anti-anti-female views are bubbling all over the album. And no one really mentions the packaging, but his 2cd slipcase albums with sumptuous liner notes, photos, poems and writings are beautiful. Design by Holy McGrail naturally.

21. Summer of Malcontent

Today it's a Black Sheep Bonanza!

BLACK SHEEP

After releasing an album called Black Sheep, Cope named his band Black Sheep and released a bunch of things under that name, including a number of releases (see following post) in which he was just a band member and somebody else took on the leadership role.

[​IMG]
    PREACHING REVOLUTION 7" EP – JULIAN COPE / BLACK SHEEP (2008)

Mother, Where Is My Father? / I Wanna Know What’s in It for Me // F**k Me U.S.A. / Preaching Revolution

All tracks subsequently appear on The Unruly Imagination.

[​IMG]
    THE UNRULY IMAGINATION – JULIAN COPE / BLACK SHEEP (2009)

Preaching Revolution* / Militant Feminist Dream / Mother, Where Is My Father?* / I Wanna Know What’s in It for Me* / F**k Me U.S.A.* / Gang of Four (At Home He’s a Tourist) / Alexei Sayle Driver Improvement Course / Creedist Blues / James Nayler Enters Bristol on a Donkey: 1656 / Chairman Mao / Spitfire Boys (British Refugee)

Released in conjunction with The Unruly Imagination event at Whitworth Gallery, Manchester University.

Tracks marked * previously released on the Preaching Revolution EP.

[​IMG]
    KISS MY SWEET APOCALYPSE – BLACK SHEEP (2009)

Credited to Black Sheep.
    The vinyl and CD versions of this album are different.

Vinyl tracklist

Side One: Ernesto
    Side Two: Leila Khaled / War! Peace!
    Side Three: Kiss My Sweet Apocalypse
    Side Four: “We’re the Baa-aa-aader Meinhof!” / “You Can Gaol the Revolutionary, But You Can’t Gaol the Revolution” / Heathen Frontiers in Sound

‘War! Peace!’ is unique to vinyl. Consumer advisory: it’s ten minutes of the title being shouted over a primitive beat.

Side Three is credited to Holy McGrail / Black Sheep. ‘Kiss My Sweet Apocalypse’ runs 24.29 on vinyl, edited down by about four minutes from the CD version.

Side Four is credited to Christophe F. / Black Sheep. ‘Heathen Frontiers in Sound’ also appears on the Christophe F. / Black Sheep album of the same name (the other two don’t). It’s co-written by Julian Cope.

[​IMG]
    CD tracklist

Disc One: Ernesto / Protest-Underground / Che
    Disc Two: Underground Resistance / Leila Khaled / Kiss My Sweet Apocalypse (longer version)

CD is called KISS MY SWEET APOCALYPSE 2 (though that title only appears on the CDs themselves) and has different cover art.
    ‘Kiss My Sweet Apocalypse’ runs 28.45

22. Summer of Malcontent

BLACK SHEEP (NON-COPE DIVISION):

[​IMG]
    HEATHEN FRONTIERS IN SOUND – CHRISTOPHE F. / BLACK SHEEP (2009)

Gringo Blues / My Heathen Revolution / Talkin’ Revolution Blues / I Never Write Slow Songs / Black Sheep Blues / Brother Mother****er / Crucifiction Blues / Heathen Frontiers in Sound

Julian Cope appears as a member of the band, but didn’t take a lead role as singer / songwriter on this album. He co-wrote the title track, which was previously released on Kiss My Sweet Apocalypse.

[​IMG]
    BLACK SHEEP AT THE BBC (2009)

Bank of England / Not Happy / Vachel Lindsay / The Doorway Character

‘The Doorway Character’ is credited to Black Sheep Electronic Division.
    Julian Cope appears as a band member and wrote lyrics for 'The Doorway Character'.

[​IMG]
    SPADES & HOES & PLOWS – DAVID WRENCH / BLACK SHEEP (2010)

A Radical Song / The Blackleg Miner / A Digger’s Song / Helyntion Beca (The Rebecca Riots)

Julian Cope appears as a band member, contributes backing vocals, and co-wrote the last track.

[​IMG]
    GRAIN HOUSE EP – BLACK SHEEP VC (2010)

Grain House

Head Heritage download only.

[​IMG]
    ORCADIA – BLACK SHEEP VC (2011)

Cuween / Unstan Neolithic Chambered Cairn / Wideford Hill / Isbister

Cope is only credited for “Technological Revisioning” on ‘Cuween’.

Footnote:

CICAKE ZI PUTIHI – CICAKE ZI PUTIHI (2014)

1:1 / 1:2 / 2:1 / 2:2

This is a Black Sheep side project featuring Julian Cope. Released as a very limited CD-R, or available on Bandcamp.

23. Summer of Malcontent

No Black Sheep fans, then?

Perhaps a couple of archival releases will be more to your fancy:

[​IMG]
    FLOORED GENIUS 4 (2009)

I Ain’t Saying / When All You Got Is a Hammer, Everything Looks Like a Nail / Pre-Hysterical Blues / Sub-Mission / A Sassenach Tune / The Shrines Are Ablaze / The Glam Dicenn / Mad Clothes / I’ve Got My TV & My Pills / We Gotta Get Out of This Place / Mr. Self-Respect / I Got With God / Sleeping Gas ‘90 / I Gotta Walk / Due to Lack of Interest, Tomorrow Has Been Cancelled / Sucker Strut / Somebody Spiked My L.S.D.

Archival collection drawn from 1983-2009.

All previously unreleased apart from ‘ The Glam Dicenn’ (from An Audience with the Cope, 2000) and ‘Due to Lack of Interest, Tomorrow Has Been Cancelled’ (from the eponymous 2005 compilation).

[​IMG]
    THE JEHOVAHCOAT DEMOS (2011)

Phase One: Boskawen-Un / Hanging Out with Emma Jane When Emma Jane’s a Junkie / Sunhoney / Know Alternatives / Preternatural Sitcom / Wrath of Can’t / Theme from ‘Jehovahcoat’
    Phase Two: Time and Space / Tyrebagger / Headshopping / El Sqwubbsy’s Macchu Picchu Revelation
    Phase Three: Baby, My Mind Stood Up / Riding on the Crest of a Slump / Albany / Julian the Apostate

Unreleased demos from 1993.

Steve Douglas likes this.
  24. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Forum Resident

I didn't realise these last two existed! Might have to look them up.

25. Danderpet

Danderpet Forum Resident

I just picked up an EP featuring four tracks- Sunshine Playroom, Wreck My Car, Hey High Class Butcher, and Eat the Poor.

At the end of the last track, the fade out bleeds into the theme from Superman, followed by a very rough verse of "When I Walk Through The Land of Fear."

I have heard three versions of this song, now. Once on a bonus edition of Fried, also the familiar version on 20 Mothers.

Does anyone know the history of this song? How many recorded versions and why he kept returning to it?