June Carter Cash - "Wildwood Flower"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CM Wolff, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member Thread Starter

OK, for all the country lovers who bitch about the Shania Twains and other slick, modern "country", here is the album to buy. Recorded late in 2002, this album is a wonderful summary of June Carter Cash's life. (There are a couple brief intros and excerpts from old radio spots that add to the "life summary" feeling of the album.) Of the 13 tracks, 12 are glorious new versions of Carter family songs, including some of the most famous (e.g. "Keep on the Sunny Side"). They are wonderfully played and sung, with quite a bit of the extended Carter family group-vocalizing, with Johnny also duetting and harmonizing. June sounds aged and weary, in the best possible way, bringing quite a bit of emotion to these tracks. The sound is extremely traditional, all acoustic with tasteful fiddle throughout, feeling straight out of Appalachia. It was produced by John Carter Cash. Considering her recent death, listening to songs like "Will You Miss Me When I'm Gone" is, suffice to say, almost surreal. That track and the wonderful counterpoint family singing of "Anchored in Love", are the clear highpoints for me. Of course, this type of album is probably only going to appeal to die-hard fans of Americana because of its total old-timey feel, but definitely check it out if any of this sounds up your alley.

2. CM Wolff

By the way, the liner notes by Rosanne Cash for this album have to be the most lovingly and thoughtfully written ones I have read in a long time. (They include Rosanne's eulogy for June from the funeral.) June Carter Cash was quite the special human being.

3. CM Wolff

With Johnny passing, this album could have his last performances (albeit in supporting June, of course.)

Hopefully they're making beautiful music again together right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.