"Juno"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Carras, Feb 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever Thread Starter

I fianlly saw the movie, at our local theatre which fianl;ly got it (WHititer CALIF), and it is not mpnly very funny but relevant to the forum has very catchy songs by someone named Kinya (last name starts with D). The signagture is a paraphrase of the opening title when a pgrenant Juno (Ellen Page, "XMen 3", and "Hard Candy" ) walks along the animated opening titles
    bring a big quart of orange juice (can't drink booze or use durgs or sm oke anything in that condition, y'know) to the drugstolre, then gets pgrenant and ALMOST tries to abort but goes against it, goes to the hospital,plans to gives it up for adoption to a couple [Jennifer Garner, "Catch & Release" & "The Kingdom"], Jason Bateman ["Mister Magorium's Wonder Emporium"]) who are childess, and after a series of adventures in being friends but also coming to terms with her teenage pregancy (she's 16 though Ellen Page, who's playing her, is 20 and already married to thbe films; director, "Thank You For Smoking"'s Reitman) and after solme bonding with the father-to-be (do I see a "Lolita" situaiton here? NOT!!! :cool:) then as she has the baby finally..
    gives it up to the same couple as before, even returning to make up as friends again with the dad, Mark {Jason Batmen;Jennifer Garner as the mother's character is named Vanessa}

High recommendeds as Fox Searchlights spreads the happiness, and gets in the loot to even more. Only a few criticisms by movie ciritcs so far.:righton: :cool:

And you can guess the new look of my avatar and my sig."You're not there most of the timne'(just to show I finally saw the flick.A whole theatre yeserday was laughing their *** off. Including myself.)

2. davechen

davechen Forum Resident

Dude, no offense, but your post was pretty hard to read. I really like the movie. The writer, Diablo Cody, won an Oscar last night for best screenplay. The singer in question is Kimya Dawson, formerly of the Moldy Peaches. The Juno soundtrack is well worth picking up.

3. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Not a big Oscar night for Juno. You'd think some of the music would have been performed instead of 3 Disney songs?!

At least Diablo got an Oscar but I wonder if she will ever be able to come up with something as good in the future.

4. Santo10

Santo10 The Hot Corner

We'll find out soon. Her next film starts filming next month according to Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jennifer's_Body

5. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Uh, no.

There is already a Juno thread, I believe.

6. She's got a whiff of the one-trick-pony about her, but we'll see!

7. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Ellen Page is already married? She just turned 21.

8. Squealy

No, she isn't married!

9. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

None of the songs in Juno were eligible for an Academy Award because they were previously released recordings.
    I really enjoyed her book "Candy Girl: A Year in the Life of an Unexpected Stripper." The book has some of the quirky style of 'Juno's dialogue, but it comes off more organic to Cody's personality. Supposedly 'Juno' was the result of the advice that she write something original to convince studios to let her adapt the book. She's got at least two movies in the pipeline and the pilot to a cable series produced by Steven Spielberg starring Toni Collette.

10. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

The songs from Juno were too juvenile and corny for my liking but I suppose they suited the film while one was watching it.
    They were playing the soundtrack in HMV the other day and without the context of the film with it, I couldn't stand it...

Loved the movie though!

11. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I also loved the movie and thought it would do better in the Awards..

I just hated the ending so much of No Country For Old Men that it ruined the whole movie for me.....

12. johnny 99

I don't care how many disagree with me; that was one of the most overrated films I've seen in a long time and I'm glad I didn't get soaked ror $12 to see it (I saw it for free)

After an hour it was just too hard to take the relentless onslaught of violence (and it just became somewhat pointless to me)

Juno and Into The Wild deserved more praise form the Academy than either of them got!

13. Jymn

Jymn Formerly skysaxon

Duplicate post.

14. Jymn

Jymn Formerly skysaxon

Actually, I thought the soundtrack was lame. It doesn't help the legitimacy of a production when the lead character name-drops Iggy and Stooges and Sonic Youth while the music in the film itself is indeed "juvenile and corny."

15. johnny 99

Agreed! Good point made about the good music sometimes discussed in the film and the silly tunes that played in the film (and appear on the soundtrack)
    Lame is an appropriate word to describe the soundtrack!

16. Squealy

Iggy and the Stooges and Sonic Youth seem to me to be far too aggressive for the tone of the movie. The more whimsical songs they used fit just fine, especially the song Juno and Paulie play at the end.

17. Santo10

Santo10 The Hot Corner

The term "good" is relative. The music they talked about would have been terribly out of place inside the movie itself.

18. johnny 99

That's why I stand by my original remark about the music "working" within the context of the film. The soundtrack on it's own playing in a music store is another matter. It's lame.

19. MBERGHAU

MBERGHAU New Member

Ever hear the Dylan song "Honey, just allow me one more chance" from Freewheelin Bob Dylan. Not too different in feeling from the title song on Juno "All I want is You" in all it's juvinile exuberance.

20. cooper16

cooper16 Forum Resident

I thought the choice of music was perfect for the tone of the film. Yes, they were dealing with "adult" themes, but the characters were still very childlike and innocent.

As for No Country For Old Men, the lack of a musical score added another layer of tension, oddly enough.

21. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I agree about No Country For Old Men - it was overrated (I didn't mind the violence - but didn't think it is so worthy of all the praise is has seemed to get). I also didn't have to pay to see the movie, as my mother, being a professional actor (not famous and barely working) is on the Screen Actors Guild Awards Nominating committee, so she gets tons of "screeners". She "lent" me the screener for "No Country For Old Men", "Into The Wild" and "Away From Her". The other movies she got, I had already seen in the theatres.

On the other hand I loved Juno (which I also got to see for free - long story - in the theater). I wished it would have won something. I can't wait for the Blu-Ray version of the movie to hit the store shelves, since this is a movie I will pick up right away to watch again.

22. Squealy

It did win something -- best original screenplay.

23. johnny 99

You've gotta be kidding? You can't compare what Dylan did in 63 with this soundtrack. It's not applicable.

24. johnny 99

I fully agree. The movie was strong enough for me that the music (although I may not care for it) didn't hamper my enjoyment of the film. It did suit the content and storyline perfectly; it just sounds "silly" on it's own to me. That said, the film was perfect as it was.

25. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Oh yes - forgot about that. My bad. :wave:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.