Just got a new Samsung TV which has the Spotify app...is the best connection to my preamp an optical

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by McGuy, Oct 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time... Thread Starter

I know, this is NOT going to give me fantastic sound, it's just for sh___ts and giggles. I have a Mcintosh C47 which has at least one optical connection - but Sonos is using it, I have to check for another one on the back. If so, is an optical cable perfectly fine?

2. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

yes

SandAndGlass and McGuy like this.
  3. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

It should be. It will give you the Spotify (admittedly only 320kbps) without any distortion added, or loss.

McGuy likes this.
  4. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Optical is fine. You might be surprised at how much fun Spotify is if you haven’t used it... for non-critical listening or discovery of new music I think it’s great. I think the Spotify UX is better than any other streaming service.

Our brothers here will crucify me for this but for everyone else except us here at sh.tv it’s probably all anyone needs. Of course I also subscribe to Tidal. And Qobuz. And Pandora. And SiriusXM.

I think there might be something wrong with me :)

SandAndGlass, audiomixer and McGuy like this.
  5. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

the C47 has 2 optical inputs on the back, just checked

6. McGuy

Thanks all and Jimi - yep, saw the second one too. I love spotify, use it in my car and on my boat constantly. What's funny is I was listening to it on the TV, which is hooked up to my C47, just for 2 channel sound obviously, but spotify wouldn't play through the c47. Took me about 10 minutes to figure out that the cable box is hooked up to the c47 but spotify is an app on the TV, not the cable box. Damn I'm dumb sometimes...

Jimi Floyd likes this.
  7. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Spotify is fine. I have it. So is Pandora. I started out streaming it back in 2011. I have upgraded a lot of equipment since then, and it still sounds good.

With better gear streaming services sound even better.

McGuy likes this.
  8. McGuy

wonder if streaming directly from the TV is any different than streaming through the Sonos unit. They both go through the DAC in the preamp...I probably can't hear a difference anyway

9. SandAndGlass

It is six of one and a half dozen of another.

McGuy likes this.
  10. McGuy

that's what I figured. the cool factor of using the TV is better than using the computer or my iphone though. so...TV wins!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. SandAndGlass

I bought a Sony Streaming box on sale for $49 back in 2011, I stream it today to an optical input on my iNova so it can run through the iNova's ESS Saber DAC.

I take the video from the Sony Box and run it into the Emotiva processor. All video goes into the processor, including the Oppo player and the Chromecast device. From there everything goes to the 4K " Samsung TV by HDMI.

I control the Sony box by its remote and navigate the menu's on the TV and display the album art on the TV.

Pandora album art on the TV.

[​IMG]

I have Spotify. I would access it through a Western Digital box. I did. I didn't like the WD, so I pulled it. I have a Roku 4k box to replace it with. I just have not set it up yet. I do need to get my Spotify back going.

Chromecast displaying on TV, while audio is sent digitally to the iNova.

[​IMG]

pscreed and McGuy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.