Just realized I loved vinyl - next step?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jonasbegood, Dec 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

As a professional writer, I would be happy to review his work. :righton:

Schwinnparamount likes this.
  2. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

uzn007 likes this.
  3. Schwinnparamount

Schwinnparamount Forum Resident

Would it make sense to you if I said "Hey, I'm driving my steel, plastic, and rubber to work today. I'm tired of the bus"?

Or how about "I just played the new Black Keys plastic in my CD player and it really sounds great!"?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  4. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Enjoy

jonasbegood likes this.
  5. dkmonroe

You're being deliberately obtuse. It's slang, most people don't interpret it in the wooden way you're trying to force upon it. I stand my my initial comment.

jonasbegood, Jimmy Disco D and uzn007 like this.
  6. Schwinnparamount

Schwinnparamount Forum Resident

Not at all. Calling a record a "vinyl" makes no more sense than calling a CD a "plastic". I've been buying records since I was 9 years old (in the late 60's). Only recently during the recent record renaissance have I heard young people refer to records by the material that they are made of (polyvinyl chloride - PVC). The slang term simply makes no sense. I fully understand that you mean record when you say "vinyl" but - as a professional writer (a technical writer at that), I just cannot get past the feeling that calling a thing by the material it is made of is just dumb. Especially since only the johnny-come-lately folk use it. OK, I'll kick my soapbox into the corner and join you at the corner pub for a glass of beer (or whiskey if that's your choice) I shall enjoy a beer to your health, good sir.

7. dkmonroe

You may think the term "dumb" all you want, but a great many people do use it, and it does little good to argue with them about it, especially in a conversation that is not particularly concerned with defending or assailing the term. I have no special fondness for the term, but I also have no fondness for a fastidiousness that would derail a conversation to argue about current casual slang terms. If a person wants to know more about how to enjoy vinyl LP records, I would rather talk about that then try to fault him for using casual terminology in a casual conversation. As for "johnny-come-latelys", well, if the LP format lasts for another hundred years but some people still call the units "vinyls", then I would be far more pleased by the durability of the format than I would be irritated by the terminology people commonly use to describe it.

jonasbegood likes this.
  8. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

I've read lots of rave reviews featuring $2-300 speakers teamed with spendy electronics, but none featuring spendy speakers teamed up with a $200 Sony(etc) receiver- unless it was a Julian Hirsch review.

The first Stereophile review I ever read was Sam Tellig reviewing a $173 (shipped) pair of speakers driven by a $4000 tube amp. He described the sound as "ravishing".

ANALOGUE OR DEATH likes this.
  9. Just Walking

Just Walking Forum Resident

I'm late to the party on this thread, but since the word audiophile means "lover of sound", and looking at your equipment list, you are definitely an audiophile!

jonasbegood likes this.
  10. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Please stop.

dkmonroe likes this.
  11. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

I would suggest to buy vinyls on a monthly basis and save money for the big gear upgrade, upgrading gear is relevant when your collection gets bigger.
    This way, with patience, you'll have a wonderful table with high-end pickup in a few years.

In my opinion patience is the most delicate concept in this hobby.

jonasbegood likes this.
  12. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Next Step.
    Side track and go down the Reel To Reel path!
    Straight to the heart of premium audio and another awfully rewarding addiction.....
    Expensive too.
    [​IMG]

uzn007 likes this.
  13. Just Walking

Just Walking Forum Resident

Ah. Ballfinger. Front - looks great. Rear chassis looks great. And the main modules hinge out for servicing.

Internal wiring - ah, there it is not so good. Internally it is built on umpteen circuit boards wired up with a rats nest of bog standard ribbon cable - processor cables, audio cables. Looks like everything.. Also there are a positive forest of alignment pots internally.

But on a positive note, the measured performance is good to excellent - and it is a new design of reel to reel tape machine. For the first time in decades. So hats off to them for that.

It is the blunt end of 30k (Dollars, UKP, Euro - they are all about the same now)

uzn007 likes this.
  14. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

Andrew Robinson has gone bonkers over the Fluance RT85.

Papi Hipbone323 and bluenosens like this.
  15. Kardiaclp

Kardiaclp Well-Known Member

I haven’t read through everything yet, but yes SOME kind of cleaning solution is a crucial and overlooked piece to enjoying records, IMO. I have a simple Spin Clean and vinyl vac combo that makes a HUGE difference.

Other than that, I agree with the sentiment to try to just enjoy the music as long as possible...because there is always something better out there..and I’d rather spend my money on more records.

EDIT: I see you have the spin clean so...yeah that should be good

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    jonasbegood and Matt Starr like this.
  16. jonasbegood

jonasbegood Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ok. So it's only been a year, but here I am. Now listening on a P8 in my dedicated listening room. This hobby.. The joy!

17. timind

timind phorum rezident

A great way to spend our new secluded lifestyle.

jonasbegood likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.