Just saw John Mellencamp in concert last night - man was he good

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BeatleStair, Nov 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member Thread Starter

2. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

He's a great performer and one hell of songwriter. I saw him five or six times when I lived in Bloomington during grad school. He and his wife would come into the bar where I worked to have lunch. He signed my Mofi booklets and some albums covers for me one day. Glad you enjoyed the show! :righton:

3. fabtrick

fabtrick New Member

I really wanted to go see him on this current tour, as it comes to the Bay Area this spring(?) - but I balked at paying $130 bucks plus fees. I like John Mellencamp, but not for that price.

4. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

It better be good for $130 a ticket!!

5. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Cool was he leaning more acoustic or a full band sound. Sorry havent seen him live in a while/

6. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

Nice review, James. I really wanted to go last night, but couldn't. Too many other things going on. It sounds like it was a great show. I'm glad he is playing some of the new songs. I really like his latest album. I'm sure he sounded great at the Embassy Theater. What a nice place to see a show.

7. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Saw him in the early 80's. He opened for Heart. He did'nt have enough of his own songs yet, so he covered some Stones and Humble Pie numbers. GREAT show. Heart was at the top of their game and REALLY ROCKED that place!

8. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

" Songs like “Rain on the Scarecrow,” about a man who loses his family farm to foreclosure, and “Minutes to Memories,” where a 77-year-old steelworker from Gary reveals the simple truths of life to a young man riding beside him on a Greyhound bus, gave Mellencamp's music a uniquely Midwestern perspective, with an urgency and passion that made him stand out from many of his contemporaries. "

Both songs masterpieces. :agree: Proud to own both the original CD & original vinyl of Scarecrow.

Thanks for sharing, glad you had fun.

9. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

The original Scarecrow vinyl is an awesome sounding pressing! :righton:

10. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Esp. when you find one in the bins for $.49 in near-mint condition !?!?!? May be the greatest " git " I'll ever get ! :agree:

11. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I saw him and John Fogerty together when they toured. It was a great show. I passed on this one. The night wasn't good in my area nor the ticket prices.

12. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

wow, nice, psyched I bought tix for this show, sounds better than i'd of expected it to be at this point...

was a bit pricey but its a nice room, radio city, not an arena, thats worth more dough for me and i scored 20th row center, the closest i've ever been to him, so worth it for a nice night out for us...

13. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member Thread Starter

Cool was he leaning more acoustic or a full band sound. Sorry havent seen him live in a while

He was leaning more acoustic - at least he was at the show I saw last night. Only the last third of the concert was full-on rock.

My favorite parts of the show were the acoustic numbers Mellencamp did by himself on guitar - great! I really loved the version of "Cherry Bomb" he did that way. I have always loved his acoustic demos and wish there was a complete collection of his demos on CD.

14. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I didn't become a true fan until i saw him live for the first time on the ''Lonesome Jubilee'' tour back in 87, i've seen him ''and his great band/bands'' more than a dozen times since, and never been disappointed.

His 2002 performance at what is now Comcast Center in Mansfield, Ma two days after 9/11, where he opened with a cover of The Stones ''Gimme Shelter'' was truly inspiring, maybe the best single concert i've ever attended.

15. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Very nice review. Thanks for posting.

16. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

One of the few performers I have never seen live. Maybe this time in the bay area.

17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

his MFSL's of "scarecrow" and "big daddy" sound wonderful.

18. cabowabodude5150

cabowabodude5150 Forum Resident

Add John to my list of people i haven't seen as well. Since i live in the bottom of the world (louisiana), no one comes here anymore. If he would come to Texas, then i might have a chance to see him. I Don't recall him coming in my near vicinity since the Lonesome Jubilee tour.

chad

19. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

He's got three shows in Texas coming up.

Grand Prairie - April 1st
    Austin - April 2nd
    Houston - April 3rd

20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

No MFSL CD of "Big Daddy" - just "Scarecrow" and "Lonesome Jubilee"...

21. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Bold statement.

22. serge

serge Forum Resident

i want to see him but its so pricey...bummer...

23. cash86

cash86 Member

I saw him at Farm Aid this year. Oddly, I wasn't too excited about the fact that he was playing going into it, but it turned out to be one of the highlights of the day!

24. cabowabodude5150

cabowabodude5150 Forum Resident

i saw this after i got off these forums. i'm thinking of going to the houston show, but am going seeing sammy hagar in late april and night ranger on may 6th. i'll see if i can afford it.

chad

25. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I believe the Austin show is an ''Austin City Limits'' taping.:righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.