Just scored a Sony SCD-CE775

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by efhjr, Nov 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. efhjr

efhjr Idler Wheel Enthusiast Thread Starter

I picked it up for a (high-resolution :p) song at my local Circuit City. No manual, no remote, but a very sweet price. Worth a shot, I figured. I can always return in if I don't like it.

Gonna hook it up to the tubes tonight, pop in the Willie Nelson and Bob Dylan SACDs I picked up, and see if it's really all it's cracked up to be.

I'm hoping it'll squeeze a little more music out of my Red Book CDs than my current (four-year-old Sony) CD player does.

The salesperson told me the unit's about six months old, so I don't guess it'll need any breaking in.

I'd love to hear some advice about good places online to buy SACDs or any other experiences with this unit.

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I have one!

Be careful! It defaults to multi channel (there is a way to change the default) so you probably have to manually change it to 2 channel (I am assuming you just have a 2 channel rig!). Of course the point I am trying to make is if you have 2 channel and it plays in the multi channel mode, you'll be missing information and it may sound like it's missing a guitar piece or something. If that blue light comes on it's in multi channel mode.

You'll have to press the STOP button to change it from multi to two channel.

I remember it happened to me with Tubular Bells at a store. I was upset that they cut out pieces - they had not! :rolleyes:

Have fun tonight! :)

Let us know what you think!

And try out redbook - I'd be curious to know if your older player is better or worse than your SACD player for regular CDs.

3. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Have a blast. I got my CE775 from CC as well: 129.99 sans remote and manual. The remote eventually turned up and they gave it to me at no extra charge. The player had been in their SACD kiosk, so it was well-broken in but not too messed-with.

I think it's a heck of a player for the money. Redbook sounds great on it, to my ears, and SACD is a revelation. Gary's right, though; make sure you get the 2-channel mix or you'll wonder where the music went....

Let us know how you like it.

4. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

LOL... How come I'm starting to get the impression that half the people on this board have cleaned out Circuit City and Best Buy of all their 775's!

(me included)

At least many of us will have the *same* frame of reference for playback source from now on...eh? Sounds like part of a world domination plan by Sony to hijack audiophiles if you ask me...lol!

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

That's a very good point, David.

6. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

I cleaned mine out of their last one (mine came with both the remote and manual, along with three SACD's they left in the drawer). In CD mode it doesn't match up with my Rega Planet 2000, but using it to compare CD to SACD, whew, it was night and day. Best $139 I've spent on hardware in quite a while.

7. anthony_b

anthony_b New Member

I've had my ce775 for about two weeks and I'm enjoying it a lot !!...Just purchased HOT ROCKS (Rolling Stones) man, it sounds awesome on SACD !!!

8. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Dollar for dollar, it is the best audio buy out there right now.

And it can be modded to improve it up to the 555ES level if you system deems that neccesary.

9. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I remember when this model first came out. People were selling them on eBay for ~$450, about $50 more than retail price!

Who knows, we may see this one actually gain in value (related to the current closeout prices) over time because of its performance-for-the-price.

10. NoTinEar

NoTinEar Suspended

Nor should it sound as good on cd against a player 5X it's price. It's nice to know that its definitely a kick up for sacd vs cd. I picked up the last one from my local CC for $125 as a source for my headphone rig. Get these while you can.

11. reidc

reidc Senior Member

This was the best $99 I ever spent! I got the remote, the manual, and cords- everything except the box for $99 at the store in Leominster Ma.
    Like someone else above- I also bought Hot Rocks as my first SACD, and it sounded great(almost makes me think of getting rid of my German Hot Rocks 1 and 2 London's).

I then bought More Hot Rocks- which I was even more amazed with. The last piece I bought is really the cat's meow- Roger Waters Live(multichannel only). God I LOVE THIS ONE.

Chris

12. efhjr

The Mysterious MULTI/2CH light

Thanks for the tip about the multi/2-channel issue.

The green SACD/CD light is on (I'm playing an SACD in it now) and the blue light is NOT on. It that blue light the MULTI/2CH one to the right of the SACD/CD light? Guess I managed to figure out how to set it to 2CH!

I'm surprised at how noisy the transport is. It makes a slight buzzing as it plays.

I only had time to add it to my system last night and put in a SACD on repeat to warm it up. I will sit down for serious listening tonight, and I cannot wait.

13. anthony_b

anthony_b New Member

efhjr, nothing should be buzzing as it plays....

14. wynnwikman

wynnwikman Senior Member

Hi, i got the last SCD-CE755 new in box at my local CC when the price dropped to $161 about a month ago (they still have a demo model, and the price for it is now $169) The change with SACD is impressive, and the redbook sounds better than my DVD-A player (i love the hi-rez on that too) I wish the SACD catalog was as strong as DVD-A's is (ymmv). Local CC and BB both have closeouts on their SACD/DVD players. The fact that the 775 is a changer was not a benefit to me; the player makes more noise than i would like as it changes discs, and i am cautious of any extra mechanical devices in my stereo gear, and i have more CDs than could fit in any changer/jukebox.

If someone finds a deal on the 555ES please post, i could be convinced to upgrade for better redbook performance.

I am back in school, so cheap audio gear is all i can currently afford. I spent more for some cables than the gear they are now supporting. lol

Wynn

15. efhjr

I sniffed around audioasylum and found that people have discussed a ticking sound coming from various SACD players as they play SACDs, but not RedBook CDs, oddly enough. So, come to think of it, my 775 is making more of a ticking sound than a buzzing sound.

Anybody else experiencing this with their SACD player?

16. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Nope, not on my 775.

17. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Mine is as quiet as a mouse.... well, except for the changer part. But who cares - the changer is not spinning when you are listening the CD!

18. anthony_b

anthony_b New Member

Mine either...the changer is a little loud, I wonder If a little oil like 3 in1 would solve that problem ?

19. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Eeech, I would not take that chance!

20. JohnG

Yeah, the 775 changer is a bit noisy when changing discs but its quiet when playing a cd/sacd.

21. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

I sure hope mine stays quiet. My wife used it for the first time for multiple disks yesterday and didn't know how to advance it so she turned the changer with her finger. Eeeek!

22. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

My player makes lotsa kachunk kachunk when changing discs, but seems perfectly quiet when playing them. The player is about ten feet away from my listening position.

23. JohnG

My unit is inside a cabinet with glass doors which are usually closed once the unit begins to play so noise is not really a factor anyway.

All in all I'm very happy with the performance of this unit (my first cd changer). I was always of the firm belief that single tray units were the way to go but I'm liking the ability to play 5 discs.

24. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

The only complaint I have about the unit is that when you are at the last track, you can't push the "forward" button to get to the first track. You have to backwards.

Pretty minor complaint!

25. MattS

MattS New Member

CE775 Breakin

I got about 150 hours on my CE775. I am still disappointed in the redbook performance at this stage of breakin. The soundstage is collapsed and sound is still a bit bright. My 3 yr old cheapo toshiba 1200 dvd player still sounds better. I even like directTV music stations better than the CE775 red book. I sure hope things get a lot better. I mainly purchased the ce775 for an improvement in redbook playback with SACD as a bonus.
    SACD playback, as expected, is much better than any of my other sources.
    This is my 1st CD changer, I really like the shuffle play.

I was thinking about gettting the sacmod.com ce775 upgrade. This would
    put the price of the player (169+330) in the $500 range.

I'm thinking that I might have been better off getting going up in
    quality with a 555es. I think they can be had for around $500-$600.
    Anyone compared a modded ce775 with a 555es?

Nice Forum you guys have here.

MattS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.