Just scored a Sony SCD-CE775

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by efhjr, Nov 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Highway Star

Highway Star New Member

Re: The Mysterious MULTI/2CH light

Could it bee the bees you're using in your avatar? :laugh:

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Welcome MattS!

I think the 555 was compared to the 775 somewhere here and - as expected - the 555 was much better.

The 775 redbook is much better than my ancient Technics CDP but my HK CDP is much better than the 775.

If I were you I'd go with the 555. Think of it this way - you can modify the 775 to 555 levels but you can modify the 555 to 777 levels!

Personally, I still plan to keep my eyes peeled for a 555 when the price gets reasonable here in Canada. The 775 will go into the house system replacing the Technics.

3. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

I purchased the complete stereo package for my SCD-CE775 from SACDmods and without reservations can give it two...

:righton: :righton:

The improvement from Matthew Anker's modifications is phenomenal and would be cheap at twice the price, IMHO (i.e., it makes a quantum leap in performance, that others have compared to the more expensive 555 & 777ES models -- I haven't made this comparison myself, but from my experience with the unmoded player I can tell you that the mods make a HUGE improvement in both redbook CD & SACD playback). You can take this to the bank: It's...

:bigeek:
    ...jaw-dropping!

Check out my full review archived over on the AA site; it gives a full description of the audible improvements. Note: I post under the moniker Audiophilander over on the AA site. :winkgrin:

:cheers:
    Cat

4. efhjr

efhjr Idler Wheel Enthusiast Thread Starter

Re: Re: The Mysterious MULTI/2CH light

You're a genius! Problem solved! :)

Now how do I get the honey off the laser pickup?

5. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

As far as modding the 775, I'm wondering if its worth modding just the 2 channels or all 6 channels for better multi-ch playback.

If I was to mod, I would like a increase in Redbook 2 ch Stereo playback along with the improvement in 2 ch SACD playback. I'm happy with how the 775 sounds with SACD, Redbook playback is the question.

Right now SACD multi playback is pretty good on the 775.

6. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

To JohnG, and anyone else interested in CE775 mods:

The modifications are an even greater improvement on the redbook CD layer than they are on SACD (i.e., bringing both layers closer together in quality), but I wanted to emphasize the fact that each layer's performance is dramatically improved. The most immediately obvious improvements are in the bass region. If you like deep, tight bass, I think you'll want these mods. Of course, it doesn't end there. The inner-detail resolution is greatly improved as well as upper frequency extension; the mid-range is more palpable (voices, delicate instrumentals, acoustic guitar, etc., are rendered accurately, w/o smearing) ; also, F/B soundstaging and stereo separation seems quite a bit better and it wasn't shabby to begin with!

BTW, I went the stereo route because I have little interest in surround; if you checked out my review over at AA, you probably understand why (i.e., with the tube gear and the type of high-end speakers in my system trying to obtain a balanced match sound-wise with added gear & speakers would be almost impossible, even if I were interested in it.).

If you do decide to go with stereo or surround mods from SACDmods, I can't imagine your being disappointed; take my word for it, it's money well spent. FTR, I don't have any affiliation with Matthew's side-business (i.e., he's an audiophile who owns an appliance shop as his day job), but I am a VERY satisfied customer.

Cheers,
    Cat

7. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

I don't have experience with real high-end CD players, so obviously I don't know what I'm missing. As for soundstage, though, my 775 throws one so wide it's a bit frightening. I was listening to Mott the Hoople this morning (motivation music for work, ya know), "All the Way From Memphis" and "Whizz Kidd," and I had to keep getting up to check my surrounds, since I could swear I heard something like a 270-degree wraparound soundstage. And I've heard this with other discs since I bought the player. Depth and width galore. Maybe I got a cherry?

8. JohnG

Yeah Gardo, the 775 sounds so good it would be frightening to think it can sound even better.
    I have modest speakers so I'm not sure if it is worth upgrading the 775 unless I could also upgrade my speakers.
    So much to buy, so little $$$.:)

9. efhjr

efhjr Idler Wheel Enthusiast Thread Starter

I am pretty much stunned at how good this CD player sounds. 95% of my listening so far has been to redbooks, and, frankly, I'm a bit freaked out at how much more I'm hearing.

More space, more air, more soundstage, more detail. There's more there there. But even better, it just sounds more real -- less digital. This player makes me smile and play air drums a whole lot more.

Even my old, first-generation CDs sound better.

The highs are a wee-bit scratchy, and the bass is a wee-bit mushy, so I can imagine getting the SACDMods.com update eventually, but I think it'll be a long, long time before I feel the need to do that.

And to think that I expected to pay $1500 for a CD player to give me redbook playback this good, and I can play Steve's SACDs to boot! :D

10. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Has anyone done the sacdmods.com upgrade to a Sony NS500V? It's starting to sound pretty enticing to me!

PS Looks like I'm legit at last with this post :D

11. MattS

MattS New Member

Ce775 Has finally broken in!

For the record, I have to state that my Ce775 has finally broken-in or I've broken in (I've gotten used to the sound, I don't think so!).The ce775 has finally lived up to all the hype. Redbook playback has improved tremendously. The brightness is gone and the sound stage is wide and deep. Maybe there is something to breakin. CE775 took over 150 hours of breakin to sound very good.

I'm now with JohnnyG on how much better can the ce775 get with
    some clever modifications. Thanks to the good reviews on this forum, I bought ce775. I am now glad I did.

Now on to some great music! I Just ordered the Alison Krauss "Now That I've Found You " on SACD. I hope that this SACD lives up to all the hype as well.

12. NoTinEar

NoTinEar Suspended

Re: Ce775 Has finally broken in!

It ain't hype. That sacd sound quality, not speaking at the performance, will blow your socks off, big time. That is a fantastic sounding sacd, as is her others. Welcome to the forum.

13. Raxel

Raxel Senior Member

I have a XE670, that's an single disc version of CE775. I don't like the sound of XE670 actually. for some records, including stone's new SACD, I can feel the width of the sound stage, but there's just no depth. I'm using Panasonic HE100 A/V receiver, and JBL NB series speakers 5.1 setup. I'm planning either upgrade to 555ES or a pure CD player NAD C541 or maybe Music Hall CD25. Anyone think if It will have significant improvement, or there won't be much difference because of the receiver and speakers?

I'm in Canada, and there's no store here doing the modding for XE670.

14. Gardo

I probably lost a little product life by buying the demo unit at CC. OTOTH, the unit was made in March 2001, and has no doubt been playing off and on in the kiosk for at least a year, so it was GOOD and broken-in when I brought it home. The sound was stunning from the get-go, SACD and CD, and hasn't changed in the two weeks since.

Many many thanks to the forum, whose enthusiasm for the CE775 got me interested and motivated. And many thanks to my man Shaun at the local CC, who helped me wheel, deal, and get a good price on the unit. Even found me the original remote control. Excellent customer service.

I'm enjoying the music as never before. That pretty much says it all.

15. anthony_b

anthony_b New Member

I purchased my ce775 new and all I could say is that it blew away my Marantz cc3000 right out of the box !!...The Marantz was much more solid and quiet, but it didn't sound as good.....The 775 was the best $149 ever spent !!

16. Mike B.

Mike B. New Member

I have done the mods recommended by JohnPA and Panelhead at Audio Asylum Hi Rez. I added a few of my own and the player is now a giant killer on red book cd and SACD. Part of the mod was using adhesive lead tape to damp the transport, carousel, and to add black hole pad to the cover. Much of the changer noise is greatly reduced. Adding a LC Clock made a big sonic difference. Do a search and you will find all the details.

17. JohnG

Its good to know that these mods do improve the sound of Redbook cds.
    It makes the 775 a very special player.

18. reidc

reidc Senior Member

For those looking to buy a Sony 775 in the Northeast!!!!

Circuit City in Leominster MA(right off Rt 2 @ rt 13)- has another open box unit for sale. $89 bucks takes it!!!! It appears that the Remote is there- but not sure of documentation.

With a full warranty- for $89 bucks you can't go wrong.

Chris

19. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I've been trying to find a place that does mods in Canada - no luck so far.

I know of a place that will upgrade your output stage - but they don't actually "do" it. They send it out. It's a remarkable improvement. But it costs $300.00. I'd rather go direct to the source, you know?

Raxel, you keep hunting on the West Coast and I'll keep hunting out here, OK? We've gotta come up with *something!*, right? :)

20. Raxel

Raxel Senior Member

The player costs $130, modding will cost $330, plus $50 shipping cost, It's around $500. If I add $100. I can get a 555ES from ebay. Does a modded XE670 or CE775 sound better than 555ES? And if we buy a 555ES now and have cash later on, we can mod it for even better sound. What do you think?

21. Mike B.

Mike B. New Member

Please consider doing the mods yourself if you have some experience reading a schematic and with soldering. The traces on the PC boards are small and easy to lift. I used a 15 watt iron and solder wick to remove the old components. If you want a fair mod done out of Arizonia try SACDMods.com or try Dan Wright , Modwright.com out of Portland, Oregon.

22. FabFourFan

FabFourFan Senior Member

Oh, yeah, my 775 buzzes a bit when it's playing SACD, and it's dead silent when playing CD.
    But there's no mystery about it.

If you pop the top and watch the player in operation,
    you will quickly notice that the transport makes a constant buzzing / whining sound when playing SACD,
    when the disc is rotating much more quickly than it does when playing CD.

The amount of noise is not great, but you can hear it easily if you are close to the player.

BTW, don't nearly all other DVD transports exhibit this same characteristic, for the same reasons? :agree:

FWIW, I assume this is consistent with whatever they are saying at audioasylum?

FFF

ps DO NOT EVER OPEN YOUR EQUIPMENT AND ELECTROCUTE YOURSELF AND SAY THAT I TOLD YOU TO DO IT!!!!!

23. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

I got what seems to be CC's last new in-box 775 in the NYC area for $169.00 the week after the Stones SACDs came out (I bought 20 of them-all except the US Aftermath & Buttons). Here in NYC, pretty much all of the kiosk players have had the crap beaten out of them, so I WOULD be careful if considering this route. Since the purchase I have bought about 30 more. When The Wiz stores had their going-out-of-business clearance sales, I got some incredible deals, like Can't Stand The Weather & Kind Of Blue-MC for $4.00 each! The player is a little weak in the ergonomic area (repeat modes & programming are poor, no intro scan, no power button on the remote), but BOY, does it sound GREAT! :D

BTW, I hear no buzzing or clicking, but boy, is the changer LOUD!

24. Gardo

Folks have been a little kinder to the kiosk machines down here in sleepy ol' Virginia.;)

I'm looking forward to getting my manual so I can figure out what all the repeat modes ARE. In the meantime, the SACDmods place says the lack of a power button on the remote is actually a FEATURE, not a bug, because it means the power supply in the machine is not a switching power supply, and thus generates less hash into the signal.

25. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Believe me, it's not going to help!
    I kind of figured that would be the case, but man, you should see what they look like up here!.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.