Just talked to a guy who was ashamed to tell me what his stereo system was!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arley

arley Forum Resident

My first system was from the early seventies: a Sony 35 wpc receiver and some small Janszen electrostatic speakers and a Dual turntable. Those Janszens were really nice, and lasted for about five years. At that point I upgraded the speakers to a pair ADS 910's--speakers that served me about 25 years or so and would probably still be serving me well except for an idiot nephew who cranked them up unreasonably and blew the speakers. They were nice, though...

Currently I'm listening through a biamped system; NAD preamp and CD player, Linn Sondek LP12 (the original model; I understand there are some improvement upgrades, but I'm quite satisfied with the performance), Infinity Black Widow arm, an Ortofon cartridge. I'm currently using a dbx crossover to send the highs to a couple of Epos ELS III speakers (powered by a kit-built VTA mod Dynaco ST-70) and I have a couple of homemade subwoofers powered by a NAD 2100 solid state amp. I'm considering replacing the Epos speakers with some horns from the Horn Shoppe.

I made some interconnects with some Belden 1694a coax, terminated with some Canare RCAP-C53 connectors. (I had a lot of the coax left over from having the house rewired, so all I had to buy was the connectors) and they seem to be working well. I honestly don't know if I could hear much difference between them and a cheaper interconnect, but at least I don't worry about whether the signal is being degraded much.

The nice thing about audio is that you can make decisions as to how much you want to spend and still get good sound even from a modest system. Now you have to define what is 'good', and if you're the type who will chase down a vintage Western Electric 300B tube that costs four figures when the modern production ones are nearly as good--well, that way lies madness. Here at my computer desk I have the computer sound card outputs going to a Yamaha HTR-5650 which I found at a thrift shop for $30. It's driving a pair of Polk audio bookshelf speakers I got on sale from Amazon or Newegg for about $100 the pair. Is that system as good as my main one? Of course not. Do I enjoy the music it produces? Sure do.

Someone once noted that you can live well when you're rich and you can live well when you're poor, but when you're poor it's much cheaper.

2. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

I just stumbled upon this post and decided to update the details on my profile, which I had never completed. I have to say that just writing it all down made me feel so incredibly lucky to have the equipment that I do and the music to make it all so enjoyable.

Not to mention a wife who tolerates it all. :)

Joe Spivey and Woodhill78 like this.
  3. Woodhill78

Woodhill78 Forum Resident

My fusion setup of vintage and modern :

Doxa 70SE mk2 (power amp)/ Doxa 012 (passive pre amp)
    (Amplifier hand made in my hometown mid 90`s)
    Thorens TD 160 Mk 1 / SME 3009 II Imp / Ortofon 2M Bronze
    Primare r32 (phono amplifier)
    Burson DA160 (DAC)
    Krix Equinox mk II (Speakers)

4. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

For 20+ years, here was my system until Katrina:

NAD Powertracker amp and pre-amp
    Pioneer CD player(can't remember the model but had the inverted transport...wonderful machine bought as a "B" stock)
    Denon 3 head deck(head was replaced 6 months before the storm and what a difference)
    Project turntable
    Metronome 7's and 3's hooded to look like speakers. I regret NOT hooking up 2 more satellites to see how that system might have been.
    Headphones were AKG monitor reference(the gold ones with black shell). Loved those damn things.

Now.......Logitech computer system with 2 Z4 speakers and an 80W sub. Amazing how you adapt when you're in a 2 bedroom condo. I know....sounds/looks like nothing, but my ears are happy. I *could* get another system, but I have neighbors all around me to respect.

ianfaith1, Clanceman and longaway like this.
  5. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

If the ears are happy, nothing else matters. Not even the neighbors. ;)

6. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

My system has been hastily cobbled together from bits and bobs that I've found in the pit of hell that is our loft. Most of it needs tinkering and fiddling with and I am kind of embarrassed by my deck but I'm learning so much about setting up so it all balances out in the long run. Today I've learned that you can fiddle about as much as you like with the tonearm but if the cartridge hasn't been attached properly, it will never sound nice :D now it is sitting pretty in the headshell and it is sounding much better (who'd have thought!). I'm looking to upgrade the turntable when I have some money but at least when I do upgrade, I'll know a lot more about getting the best out of it. The main thing though is that I can listen to and enjoy my vinyl (which was also languishing in the pits of hell!

7. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I started looking at this thread today after the recent request to fill out the equipment profile if you're going to critique music here, yet again. I found it amusing that some people who were against the whole idea relented and posted their equipment in this thread. Their main reason for not doing it was because they didn't want people making fun of theor system yet instead of quietly putting it in their profile they put it front and center in this thread. :sigh:
    Someone else mentioned the benefit of being able to look at member's system profile of people to get ideas on upgrades or curiosity of how a component sounds or works in a system. I've used this idea myself. I've said this before in the other thread but Ithink it bears repeating, most people are not going to be looking at your profile, ever. The only time I am interested in a profile is when someone speaks very highly or poorly about the sound quality of an album I am interested in buying. Either way, I want to know why that person thinks album X sucks or sounds heavenly. It might be the recording, it might be the equipment, it might be the ears. Having something tangible to work with will help me figure these things out for myself.
    I'm a music lover first. The equipment just helps me get there. I have enjoyed music on a large selection of machines from $50 portable cassette decks to cd players and turntables. If I had to choose between listening to music on a $100 system or nothing, I'd take the $100 system in a heart beat.
    The other part of this is listening skills. That is an acquired skill and one that takes patience. You don't need expensive equipment to acquire listening skills. In fact I might even say that acquiring the listening skills will help you choose your equipment wisely. There are many paths to take to acquire decent equipment, large sums of money is one way.

violetvinyl, Purplefowler and Adam9 like this.
  8. wbhendrix

wbhendrix Forum Resident

i recently came out of a long "audiophile stage" of life where my love for music was over shadowed by my lust for a bigger and better sound system. After about 3 years of purchasing separate parts of my system and spending about $7500 i was still thirsting for more. One day i was reading online about the next piece of equipment i had to have and it hit me "i haven't really enjoyed music that i love, i just keep buying audiophile CD's and records to test the sound system but not listening for the sake of listening!"

Quick story, my brother in high school had a 15 year old doorless jeep with HUGE mud tires that he was given for free by a family friend. This thing looked old and awesome and barely ran. The sound system was horrible, barely any volume to speak of and worst of all - it CRACKLED. bad. All the speakers would crackle when you turned it up halfway. BUT my brother is a die hard music fan and this never tainted his listening experiences while driving down the road. In fact i've always been jealous that he was so profoundly happy with such a crappy system. It was annoying that he always seemed to find music more soothing and exciting than i ever did despite his sound system.

don't get me wrong, i love my system and wouldn't trade it for anything but i encourage other friends not to get caught up in the obsession of thinking you cant enjoy your music if you don't have a top of the line system.

9. druboogie

druboogie Maverick Stacker

I dont understand how someone could be ashamed of their system, and is on THIS board. I boast using a stacker which is looked down upon by 80% of this forum (could be wrong about the high %), but I still defend my purchases and posted my system details for all to see, because I like my system, and I WANT people to know what I have. I wish there were people around me with better systems than mine, to show mine to.

In fact, because I let everyone in on my equipment I found out by a kind member here that I could make my existing components sound better. I did it, he was right, it was a night and day difference, theres great advise here from the members.

sami and Clanceman like this.
  10. druboogie

Might need a support group for this type of thing. I wonder if Not many people realize they arent listening to the music, or will admit it.

wbhendrix likes this.
  11. G E

G E Senior Member

If one's system moves one to tap feet, sing along and play air guitar or imaginary drums while putting a smile on one's face - it is doing the job.

elgreco and Clanceman like this.
  12. Glaeken

Glaeken Forum Resident

Rupe33 and clhboa like this.
  13. michael landes

michael landes Forum Resident

I was obsessed with listening to music from 1958 to 1972 and part of the reason was I was so happy with the system. My parents system of course,
    but they never used it at all, only me. It was a top of the line thorens turntable and the last generation tube MacIntosh preamplifier/tuner both '58 I believe.
    but instead of amplifier and speakers, behind the speaker cabinets were a pair of Ampex PA systems. I don't know what I'd think of the sound now,
    but I listened to that thing at least 10 hours a week for fourteen years and loved every minute. Of course it must have helped that the room was enormous
    (10+ ft ceiling, 20+ ft. wide, 40+ ft long. Probably under-estimating). I always just took the system for granted. It's just that I was forever hearing music at other people's houses throughout the period and continually found myself thinking, these guys aren't hearing the records at all, as I certainly couldn't hear on their systems, a lot of what I loved about the records when I listened at home. I'd bring over a record to play for my friends and was always frustrated because I always hated how it sounded on their systems. as I say, for all I know, it's just that I had the luxury of that enormous room, but i was genuinely frustrated for other people, although I never said anything.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  14. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

This resembles my past quite a bit (except for the hurricane-sorry about that). You do what you have to. My system couldn't be more unassuming (Klipsch ProMedia 2.1/Fiio e10k/and a wide assortment of headphones), but I like it.

15. druboogie

Never used it? Were they oversold by an overzealous salesman? I think thats what happened to my parents.

16. michael landes

michael landes Forum Resident

No. My father just wanted good stuff for bragging rights. He and my mom simply had no interest in listening to music. He was more interested in impressing people. "What's the best you got? I'll take it." the P.A's were another matter. He was a builder and built the Ampex building so they comped him the P.A.s as a parting gift.

17. barno

barno Active Member

you guys are right...., I am learning to just kick back and enjoy... I think a lot of us just have to go through the "audiophile" episode in our lives.. and it is understandable.. UNTIL, we do this long enough to finally get the"BIG" picture... It is about the MUSIC all along... its just that our love and the pleasure we got out of music when we were younger drove us to pursue the greatest possible sound reproduction we could obtain when we started making more money.. and then lose that picture a bit, until we finally realize what was the MOST important thing all along... that CHICKS DIDNT REALLY CARE ABOUT OUR MEGA EXPENSIVE RIGS!!!!!!!!!!!...

just kidding......No, that is was ALL about the MUSIC ALL ALONG.......................

sami and Clanceman like this.
  18. I agree but, did you read the first post in this thread?

19. barno

barno Active Member

Thinking I missed something, yes , i reread the first post.....I was just making a feeble attempt at humor... I guess I was just responding to the latest posts that, if a thread gets long in the tooth, CAN go a little awry and slightly off topic.. apologies.... thank you for bringing this matter to my attention.... You can be the forums "ON topic" police....:)

20. I didn't think it was off-topic, at all. But, do you agree with our host's request of filling out the equipment profile?

21. barno

barno Active Member

oh ok, I am sorry... Uhh sure... If people want to do that... I personally dont really care what people own as long as they are enjoying the music...

22. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

My system's pretty modest. It would benefit if one of you knowledgeable guys would come over to my house and re-arrange the room it's in. I know I have the worst possible placement for the speakers and think they are capable of a bit more than I am hearing.

23. barno

barno Active Member

Yeah, setup is pretty vital to get the best out of your gear... Twice, a friend heard my gear, and then went out and bought either the same speakers or components and then later said that theirs don't sound as good.. And when I see what they were doing, like just chucking the speakers between furniture etc. Of course, it wont sound as good... Amazing sometimes whats in peoples heads.. haha

24. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

I have a modest analog system in my office.

1. Project Carbon Debut w/ Ortofon Red cartridge
    2. Rotel RB 1080 Amplifier
    3. Rotel RC 1070 Preamp
    4. Platinum Audio Solos - fantastic speakers. They go real low for a small speaker
    5. Oppo Bdp 93 just for videos and streaming music to the lanai. (I know it's digital. Sorry.)

I use the word office loosely now since I moved from NJ to Florida as I went from a 15 x 16 ft to a 10 x 11 ft room.
    I can't stand it and rarely feel like playing music in there. Can't even play the electric guitar in there. Amp is 5 so close.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  25. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Somebody look over my specs and tell me if my system sucks or not; I'd appreciate it. I have no idea, honestly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.