Just talked to a guy who was ashamed to tell me what his stereo system was!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Truth be told, when I look at pics of peoples systems, here and elsewhere, what sticks out at me, more so than the gear, are the rooms! Of course, many of them are stunning but the ones that I truly take note of, are the wrong ones! By wrong I mean how poorly placed the gear is, or the placement of vibration prone instruments (gtrs & sometimes pianos!), or untreated hardwood floors, or turntables sitting right next to speakers, just a bunch of things that are pretty much basic audio no-no's. Many times these rooms have top-notch gear! While I totally understand that sometimes we can't have optimally set up rooms dedicated to audio, the difference between the house I used to live in and the apt. I'm living in now is a perfect case in point, I still see things that could/should be easily corrected. Things that would probably improve sound quality without spending a cent!

mpayan likes this.
  2. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

I worked in a record/CD store for 2 years in the 90's and had a blast but I have to admit that the self proclaimed "audiophiles" were our most difficult customers.
    It was never about the music for the most part; it was about the version of the album, the equipment they had, how much they knew about stereo equipment, etc...
    This group of people constantly brought back records they bought complaining about them, insulted the music I was playing in the store, complained about the prices of records that my bosses had priced, etc...; it went on and on. When trying to discuss music or stereos for that matter, they made you feel like crap.
    One guy used to come in sometimes when my boss was getting ready to leave for the day on Saturdays and they'd go to lunch. One day this snob tells my boss he doesn't like this "punk" music that his employee is playing; it's "Exile On Main Street" (he did not know what it was and at his age he should have)
    I had to be careful with these people, but they were the most judgmental. narrow minded, snobbish customers we had.
    I had more fun dealing with the Rock fans that probably had not much more than a good boom box or a 500 dollar system. At least they were cool.

3. barno

barno Active Member

Good story...

4. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Brother, those Sabbath jam sessions sound just fine on the Marantz stuff. Love Marantz! :righton:

sami and GodShifter like this.
  5. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I see there are still plenty of people who think that Steve's request to list equipment is to out people with inexpensive or common equipment. He and others have said time and time again why it is important to him that we do this yet it keeps coming back to that same old thing. Our equipment has a sonic signature whether one takes the time to find out or not.
    Therefore it is helpful to those who do pay attention to such things and when people start talking about a piece of music, whether it is positive or negative, it is helpful to a reader to have a baseline from which that opinion was derived. My bookshelf speakers I used to use in my main system leaned a little towards the high frequency end of things. It was rarely a problem but it was there and I knew it. If I thought an album was lacking highs and you knew my system's profile you might be able to discern from my words and my equipment profile that the recording must really lack high frequency information for me to not hear enough of it. The other side of the coin could be me stating that an album is a little to crisp sounding to my ears. Again, knowing my system you would know my system leans in that direction so if your system is a little shy in the high frequency dept. then the album could sound fine on your equipment. The reason this place exists is to help people find the best sounding music out there and without some kind of baseline people's opinions mean a lot less which makes the board less dependable as far as content goes. One doesn't have to care about these things and it's quite possible to have a good time here without critiquing music or listing equipment.
    The only time I bother to look at people's equipment profiles is when I am curious about their experience with something I have or plan to purchase. The other situation is when talking equipment stuff in the Audio Section of the board, particularly if someone is using a piece you are interested in buying. It is helpful to know what else might be coloring that member's experience with said piece (sort of like with the music). I'm sure it's similar with video stuff too though I'm much less fussy about those kinds of things.

As I've said before, people who chide members about their equipment have bigger issues so I wouldn't worry about them. In fact feel compassionate for them because you don't have such issues, right? They are no different than that person in the BMW 700 series who looked at you funny today while you were driving your Chevette. People are going to think and say things. Don't let that define you.

Adam9, Clanceman and Dino like this.
  6. brianvargo

brianvargo Senior Member

I've got what I've got; it's all listed in my profile. I'm grateful for it. I'm sure that I will expand my equipment in the future, and I am looking forward to the day when I don't have to worry about thin walls and can play my music out loud again, but I will never, ever look down on the equipment I have now, or the equipment that I've used up until now. That's how I developed my love of music and my appreciation for the delivery of sound.

James Bennett, azjvm05 and Kristofa like this.
  7. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Some of the very best systems I have heard are mid priced off the shelf gear from the 70s.
    I still have some of the same gear I had in 1975, including a pair of Optimus T-100 speakers I bought new that year.
    Radio shack marketed some of the best speaker systems you could find back then.
    One of the best systems I ever heard was built around an old blue/black faced Marantz receiver.
    I have seen a lot of guys spend huge bucks on a system that they had no clue how to set up a room around.
    And other guys who haphazardly set his gear up and it sounded great even though it wasn't set up "by the book".
    I have four systems right now that are set up and that I use, all of them are built around 70s lower wattage receivers.
    I just had a Yamaha CR-420 cook on me, one of the channels sounds like an output transistor smoked.
    I hope I can fix it, even though it is not likely worth a lot I like it as much as any I have ever had.

And I have never been ashamed of my gear. I always acquired it for me to enjoy, not to get into a phalus length contest with.

clhboa and douglas mcclenaghan like this.
  8. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

For me the problem with people listing their equipment is that I would have no idea of the significance of anything listed, let alone the kind of EQ settings other listeners prefer. If someone talks about what they like and why I can relate to that rather than their equipment. There are people here who will sneer at others' opinions; I feel no great urge to assist their hubris through listing my very pedestrian equipment.

Dan C and barno like this.
  9. The only way to ensure your oninion is never sneered at is to never offer it.

douglas mcclenaghan and Karnak like this.
  10. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

I'm interested in seeing what people own especially if they've been able to put all of it together on a budget. If I can put something together for $1,000 that has 90% of the performance of something that's $10,000 then you have my attention. Love the systems that cost more than most cars, but the budget stuff is really what I like to hear about.

NotOneStraw likes this.
  11. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Is it wrong that I'd rather have a very modest system and a very large music collection?

12. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

No

sberger likes this.
  13. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Not only isn't it "wrong" it says your priorities are right.

14. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Not wrong per se...this just seems to be a more audiophile crowd and I just love lots of different music.

DrBeatle likes this.
  15. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Not everybody here is an audiophile, there are plenty that are here because they love music, because they feel it on an intimate level, and want to spread the word about their favorites and discover new things.
    Welcome to the forum, by the way.:wave:

16. texron

texron Rory On

^^^ This. I have no idea if my system sucks or is great or is eh. Really do not have a reference point other than I like it. I know, that's all that matters. The ZU speakers are a new addition that I'm loving.

17. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

I don't care whether anyone else thinks my system sucks or not...I'm first and foremost a music fan and my system is just a vehicle for enjoying it, which is why I don't sweat those details much, if at all. :cool:

18. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

19. Well, you have the same headphone set up as me so...:edthumbs:.

texron likes this.
  20. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

The most important part of my set up is my ears.

douglas mcclenaghan likes this.
  21. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

That's funny, I've frequently found some of the most snobbish and dismissive behavior coming from record store employees and music collectors. The haughty attitude and OCD displayed by record store employees was even the subject of a hit book and movie. They always displayed that hipper than thou attitude. I can't imagine what kind of person goes to a record store to brag about his stereo anyway.

I have also seen that kind of arrogance displayed at High End Stereo stores. Personally I avoid any establishment that tries to make me feel as if I am an outsider and they are inconvenienced by my presence. I like to hang out and shop at places where down to earth people who enjoy similar interests can share knowledge and enjoy each other's company. That's why I like visiting this forum.

In our world of designer labels and status brands run amok a stereo is the last place that snobs want to spend money. It's in your home, nobody sees it, and the brands have no mass market recognition, so talking about it doesn't impress anyone.

Those status seekers want to buy things that shout to the World "I've got money." They want Bentlys and Rollexes and Burburry Suits and Big McMansions. A guy that drives a twelve year old Toyota and has a $20,000 stereo with thousands of records is probably a little nerdy, doesn't give a damn about status symbols, and looooves music.

All the fretting about not posting what equipment people have is more of a reflection of their own insecurity about status and brand names than anything else. That kind of thinking is not what Steve had in mind and its not the reason that I ever check out a person's equipment profile. There are lots of nice people out there and some of them are Audiophiles.

22. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Good point. Each system does havs a sonic signature. And unless I know the endless combinations of equipment and the possible sonic signatures of each system; then how in the world could I judge what your hearing based upon a profile?

There are many things, however, that are less system dependent that a person can listen for. EQ, mix, bad compression, NR etc. Id think that comparing those qualities would be more beneficial than my seeing a post that says "This sounds creamy and has lilting transparant highs". Where in the former is pretty much objective and the other is subjective.

And Im not at all sure how me looking at a persons equipment profile and not having heard that unique sonic signature of the system could have me come to the conclusion "Oh, yes I see now, he has *that* system combination. Sounds fancy, Ill trust him on this conclusion about this creamy/lilting version of _____ album"

Wish I could hear every system here, but until that time I try to see if the more objectively based opinions at least are target somewhat. And when I find those few folks that seem to be consistent in this? Then I go with them a higher percentage of the time.

23. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I agree that descriptions like creamy with lilting transparent highs is not very informative other than the person likes it.
    You raise an interesting point about the multiple combinations of equipment could might make it hard fior some people to sort through but I don't think it's quite as difficult as you are inferring. Saying things like "sounds fancy, I'll trust him" is furthuring this idea that listing equipment is a class war and all I'm trying to say is that it is not. It doesn't matter what a machine costs if it produces a signature sound you don't like. Some people love metal horn based speakers, some feel they are too bright. Ymmv as usual. It might not be perfect but imo it is better to have the information than having none. There may be a few who point and laugh at profiles but I hope you can see that they have other issues that have nothing to do with the music and why would someone care what someone possible thousands of miles away says about their playback system? If someone says something against the formum rules, there are ways to correct that but I don't think this system bashing is as wide spread as people want us to believe. I can't change people's beliefs but I really don't see this as a class war and I wish some of the people on this board could be convinced of it as well.

24. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

I've got what I've got, other than minor tweaks (like the recent addition of a second hand power amp I picked up for next to nothing on eBay) and new speaker cable, it's not likely to change for the next two or three years while I'm studying full time. I'm not even sure where I'd start in terms of replacing it anyway, as I've grown so used to the way it sounds! It's not high-end and it's not bargain basement, and it's done me for over 20 years now.

25. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I recently did some upgrades after using the same reciever and speakers for 25 years! By that I may have the present pieces for the rest of my life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.