Justice League (2017)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, Jul 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

It's a sequel, not a standalone. Any "extra baggage" I had was on the premise of the previous movies in the series, and Justice League just didn't hold up to the promise, because it's come too soon in the storyline.

It became clear to me that the "dust needed to settle" in the overall story after BvS - other things needed to happen to move things along. Instead too much was shoehorned into the first hour of this film, and as for how they treated the Superman thing...

Talk about a wasted opportunity. It was almost a TV-show level thing there, quickly wrap up the previous season's cliff hanger and move on as if nothing's happened.

The guy's been in the ground for a seemingly short amount of time, the team figures they could really do with Superman's help if only he was still alive... but he's dead.

"Hold on a minute fellas, we have a box and the Krypto-goop!" - minutes later he's up and flying.

Heck, you have a scene of Flash and Cyborg shooting the ****, casually digging up his grave!

This part of the film is probably the biggest waste of the whole affair.

Somewhere in an alternate universe there's a DC movie telling the epic tale of Superman's resurrection and aftermath. Here it's merely a cheap plot device to get to the big (cough) battle at the end.

I didn't read any spoilers going into this film, I really wanted this movie to be something special.

The movie in front of me was rushed, and the action generally quite disappointing..

What the heck was that dumb Bat-machine in this one, that arrives in minutes in the tunnel?

No way that thing would appear so soon, it's so slow!

Seems like the most inefficient idea ever, the BatCrab!

The movie had its moments for sure, but I didn't want moments, I wanted the promise of an epic Justice League movie. HOPEFULLY the Blu-Ray brings more to the table and fleshes things out more, it feels like there's a good 30 minutes (at least) missing from this movie.

I'm glad you love it though, nothing wrong with that!

2. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

I'm not feeling so sure about that, yet. The trailer before Thor underwhelmed me.

3. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Recently saw the Thor movie so let's talk about another 'trend', the one where the superhero has occasion to appear shirtless, and they all buy their pants at the same place, the backs of the pants are all waist high. But the fronts are so low the boys have gotta be shaving their pubes!;) Supes and Aquaman in this one and Thor in his. Tellyawhat, don't know why they bother with padded/sculpted outfits on these guys, they absolutely don't need it! AND.....Wassup with the ladies, they've yet to 'tart up' the Widow or Wonder Woman, wassup with the double standard!;)

4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Black Panther no super power, just a fit dude. I'll go and see it regardless.

5. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Our cinema screens in the old world has constant image hight. So a 2.35 film always makes for a better experience.

But I've seen movies in the US where the screen was much bigger for 1.85 than 2.35 so I guess it all falls back on what screen set up the theatre has.

I love 2.35 for movies, especially for westerns and other epics where the scenery plays a big part

6. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

LOL...that's the very opposite of what you said in the Thor thread.

At least you have seen JL before making your mind up.

noname74 and Zoot Marimba like this.
  7. alexpop

Value for money Thor or JL ?

8. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

All subjective of course but watching the reviews on YouTube the OVERALL opinion is that Thor is very good, I have yet to see a negative review, where as the JL reviews seem to be that it's appallingly bad to ok.

alexpop likes this.
  9. alexpop

Reluctant media purchase by the looks of it.

10. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I was going to see JL next week, as long as the reviews stayed around 'ok' and 'bearable' - I could live with that. But many are saying it's so bad that I will wait until the Blu Ray gets reduced to £6 a few months after release, like what happened to BvS.

I mean watch this and why would you spend any more:

I don't always agree with them, but they do take a more objective view of Superhero films than many of the 'fanboy' reviewers. But bad CGI, gaping plot holes, cheesey one-liners inserted to try and get the Marvel feel, another 'world in ending if we don't stop the bug/alien invasion by closing the portal/hole whatever.

DreadPikathulhu likes this.
  11. alexpop

I see what your saying, but I still like big screen presentation.

12. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Just saw it. Good action movie. Better than WW, SS, and BvS. A friend that saw it with me said he liked it better than Thor: Ragnarok. Yes, there's a bit too much CGI, but it doesn't impact the actual story. Full disclosure here: I didn't read or watch any negative reviews before seeing it. But I also had low expectations based on hearing about all the negative reviews. So maybe those low expectations helped, but the whole time I was asking myself what did these critics hate so much? It's got a nice balance of action, levity, camp and seriousness. I hope they keep this series going. I think characters like Superman and Wonder Woman work a lot better in a group setting like this. The decision to have Batman/Bruce Wayne be the central driver was a good one too. One specific thing I like is that unlike the Avengers movies, the henchmen of main villain Steppenwolf can actually do some damage and don't come off as video game-type fodder that can't really do anything of worth to the heroes. Touches like this could potentially give JL the edge over the Avengers franchise.

13. Bobby Buckshot

I hadn't heard about this. I'm intrigued - would definitely watch this.

Also didn't know it had segments shot on film. Good move IMO, and I agree on the color in JL. Even the Batman intro scene shot at night was done very well. I like the way they did the rooftop scenes in this one.

The Hud likes this.
  14. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Yes, I agree that the logical place to go would have been exactly what they didn't want to do, a Superman stand alone film that brought him back from the dead with the Supermen story line. I doubt they wanted to do any version of Superboy, though it would have been a good idea and could have become another frnchise, in Superboy's place they could have used the opportunity to introduced Cyborg in a more cohesive way.

15. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Wow, of all people on this forum, you'd be the one I expected to notice the comparative difference between a film shot digitally and another one shot on film at twenty paces...

I agree digital capture is getting better by the year, but a 35mm-shot image still has a noticeable aesthetic difference for the better (depending, of course, on variable factors such as film stock, lighting, final grading, etc)... film has a resolution up to 6K, is more adaptable to different lighting conditions, has a much greater dynamic range, and just contains an inherent richness, texture, and overall beauty that digital still hasn't come close to, all things being equal.

Just my own opinion, of course.

16. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

Although *most* live action comic book movies are not my preferred movie of choice, I had a free ticket to see Thor. I thought it was a great movie. It did not take itself seriously, quite humorous, excellent storyline and great performances from Thor, Hannibal Lecter, Goldblum, The Hulk and especially the Valkyrie.

This would be a movie that I recommend and would pay to see.

I cannot comment on JL, and my predispositioned hate of Batfleck would not even allow me to like it, much less recommended it.

Vidiot likes this.
  17. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

With all this talk about CGI, video quality of film vs. digital, better lighting, etc., it surprises me how little is being said about the horrible CGI surrounding Superman's mouth! The fact that it's so poorly done is one thing, but the fact that they HAD to have seen it, and still allowed the movie to be released points to a completely different set of problems.

18. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

The review I linked to above said the 'false lip' was really noticeable which is really inexcusable.

19. alexpop

Photo of the lip?

20. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Have you ever seen the comedy bits on TV where they take a photo of a face and superimpose a moving mouth on it? It's THAT bad!

21. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

How hard can it be? They could make Brad Pitt look 20 years younger ten years ago, but can't remove a mustasch? :doh:

22. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

I'm gonna see it,but the Flash looks like a dork.

23. Bobby Buckshot

He is, but it works. Not my favorite Flash incarnation but the actor playing the role sells it well. I liked that he wasn't a pro and needed some guidance/coaching.

Simon A likes this.
  24. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

I didn't...NOT...like....

The CGI was a mess (particularly w/Steppenwolf & the Amazon's main fighting scene...to the point of me thinking...I've played video games that look better than this!), as was the sound (again, particularly w/Steppenwolf). However, the movie as a whole...enjoyable. Some of the "humourous" one-liners/scenes fell flat, but some had me genuinely guffawing, and the levity was quite welcome. The guy who plays flash did great (I was fully prepared to NOT like the character since my 9yo son and I watch the TV series and think that actor does a great job. Cyborg was shoe-horned in, and I can't fathom why his character isn't either Martian Manhunter or Green Lantern. All-in all...not a home-run, but not a disaster. Too bad WB studios can't get their act together for the big-screen...the cartoon movies are mostly fantastic.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  25. Bobby Buckshot

Entertaining video. The guy in the dark shirt makes some great points and I lol'd when he talked about what he almost expected when Superman makes his appearance in battle. His perspective is close to mine, but I didn't think this movie sucked so I'm a bit more positive.

Edit: Don't watch if you don't want spoilers.

Jim B. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.