Justice League (2017)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, Jul 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Different.

2. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

That first Burton Batman movie was ground-breaking as I remember it. Aspects of it may seem a bit dated now, but it had it's own style and just seemed like a phenomenal achievement at the time.

Of the newer ones made post '00, I'd say:

Justice League
    Wonder Woman
    Batman Begins

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    alexpop likes this.
  3. alexpop

Wow !!!
    I like the last two.
    Yet to see JL.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  4. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

Original first Batman Begins... It sertainly isnt Arnold playing Mr. Freez.....

I really enjoyed Superman... and they wrecked the momentum with B vs S.
    In truth I really would like to see a prequel with russel crow back on Krypton.

So many DC movies “could have” worked but they ruined them with one stupid thing. Example Green Lantern... yeah yeah yeah everyone hated the mask, but come on if the movie would have been better nobody would have cared. The real p[roblem was that the bad guy was just plain dumb. He wasnt scary or tangible. it really was green Lantern shacking his fist at a cloud.... Not scary, no suspense. You get the feeling that you’d defeat him with like an umbrella. Mary Poppins could have taken him.

5. Funky54

I really enjoyed Superman... and they wrecked the momentum with B vs S.
    In truth I really would like to see a prequel with russel crow back on Krypton.

So many DC movies “could have” worked but they ruined them with one stupid thing. Example Green Lantern... yeah yeah yeah everyone hated the mask, but come on if the movie would have been better nobody would have cared. The real p[roblem was that the bad guy was just plain dumb. He wasnt scary or tangible. it really was green Lantern shacking his fist at a cloud.... Not scary, no suspense. You get the feeling that you’d defeat him with like an umbrella. Mary Poppins could have taken him.

Vidiot and alexpop like this.
  6. Bobby Buckshot

I'm not sure GL translates to the screen very well. They had that one extremely brief cameo in JL of one of the GL brotherhood in battle and it came off a bit silly.

7. Funky54

I didn’t mind the cinematography of GL. Just the cloud and plot.

The CGI cartoon on Netflix was pretty good.

Where DC screwed up is that Batman was really successful being dark and edgy versus campy... but then they just kept getting darker and they tried the formula with all of them. Marvel was a great balance with Iron Man 1 and the first Avengers. But now I think they are going dark but trying to keep the campy jokes. I’m sorta losing my first affection for their movies. The first Guardians was great and it was extremely campy and had the Deadpool jokes thing going, but now they are taking that formula to all of them. It getting messy with all of them being the same. It’s loosening its own feel with each character.

I really hated Tobby McGuire being Spider-Man. I dont like the “nerd” take. The second guy who replaced Tobby was great but the plots were not great.. they replaced him and went back to “nerd” Not interested.

Blimpboy likes this.
  8. Bobby Buckshot

I find this true to an extent. The "style" is overwhelming the individual movies and everyone is essentially becoming the same character with different super powers/skills.

I disagree on this. Those were the best Spiderman movies to me, especially the first one although I liked all of them. None of the following (and I haven't seen the most recent edition) topped the Rami Spideys.

SonOfAlerik likes this.
  9. Funky54

Might be the timing of when I was young. When I was a kid, it was during the era when Spiderman was kind of sassy and small. But it wasn't a nerd. So that's the impression from childhood.

My Spiderman was the morning cartoon with Spiderman and friends. I had iceman and some chick named star. So when Toby Maguire hit acting all nerdy and geeky it just wasn't the same Spiderman to me

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  10. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

The real problem with having a prequel is that on krypton and kandor they didn't have super powers.

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I just got dragged out to a free screening of Justice League tonight with friends (yet again), and ya know... I liked it a little more the second time. I also knew exactly what to expect, and caught a lot more bad VFX shots and Henry Cavill's DLR (Digital Lip Replacement). Hell, even the very first shot of the movie -- a little kid interviewing Superman for his internet blog with a cellphone camera -- has the digital lip problem. There's a whole lotta plot holes, too, but I'll spare the details for now.

Still, there's a lot of energy in the movie, the snappy one-liners made me laugh, and man, Gal Gadot has a hell of a presence in the movie. She is really, really good. Once again, I gotta say: "you will believe a woman can kick serious ass."

You got your wish: the Krypton prequel TV series starts soon on the SyFy Channel. Very dark, very teal, very strange...

Zoot Marimba and Simon A like this.
  12. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Glad to see some mention of Gal Gadot in this thread. She’s the only reason I would go see this movie. That girl is a ray of light. I can’t take my eyes off her.

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I agree. She damn near radiates in the film. She's got a particularly look when she's about to kick the crap out of a villain... man, that is charisma X100.

And BTW: anybody looking for comparisons between Justice League and The Avengers... all I can say is, for fans, it's good to have both in the world.

[​IMG]

Stormrider77, Simon A, bferr1 and 3 others like this.
  14. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Either the original 70's Superman or The Dark Knight. Both are iconic and have survived the test of time.

Stormrider77 and Sondek like this.
  15. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Watchmen (theatrical cut)... not just the best DC film, but the best CBM film to date, bar none.

My own humble, subjective, and entirely fallible opinion, of course.

Hope you had a few stiff drinks beforehand ;)... if someone was going to drag me back - kicking and screaming every inch of the way, believe me! - to that film, I'd need at least a six-pack of Bud and a few OxyContin up front!!!

alexpop likes this.
  16. alexpop

That bad?
    Lordy.

17. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I really like Watchmen, Alan Moore is my favourite writer and it's a great story. The thing though is that I think it sticks to the comic too much, almost shot for shot, and I don't think that straight transfer from comic to screen is desirable, it needed to be it's own thing a bit more, so it just falls short for me. Still great though.

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I had half a 5-Hour Energy, a half a Xanax, and a large Wild Cherry Icee. I did OK.

Except for the entire ending. :realmad:

kouzie and alexpop like this.
  19. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I liked JL.

Flash was my favorite character.

20. alexpop

Quicksilver ( x men) fun witty guy, same type character(movie wise), Though I believe FLASH was written comics wise earlier.

21. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Well, this past Friday I finally had the chance to go see Justice League.

I already posted my friend's review a few pages back but my take on the film was it heavily flawed (signs of heavy post-production tinkering are obvious*, new characters and plot points are simply thrown at you rather than forming a plot) but it was entertaining.

A step back from Wonder Woman but still a little step in the right direction.

I give it ** out of 4 stars.

* In the first scene of the movie, no less! Also, whenever Cyborg is wearing his hoodie, that's a pickup.

22. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Justice League has an 82% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes. I'd give it a 6.8 out of 10.

23. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I saw this yesterday with my daughter. I thought it was very average. Honestly, I just don’t like the portrayal of any of these characters other than Wonder Woman and Cyborg. Aquaman seemed more like a monster truck fan than the ruler of Atlantis. They really did nothing with his telepathic powers, and just skipped over the fact that he supposedly can only stay out of the water for a certain period (I forget how long). The Flash...a carbon copy of the recent Spider Man reboot character. Batman and Superman are both just horribly cast...and acted.

24. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Lets see if they go through the second part?

25. I've never been able to understand how this project received the green light... Fans will either get to see familiar villains introduced long before Superman is old enough to confront them, similar to what's happened on Gotham, or the show will follow a "villain of the week" type formula where they'll all suffer the same fate, being sent to the Phantom Zone and kept in limbo for later, which would get very boring very quickly. In just two-and-a-bit seasons, Supergirl has already exhausted most of her obvious rogues' gallery, and I have to question how long Krypton would be able to sustain the average viewer's interest - especially as it won't be able to rely on the usual devices many expect from this overall story. Without powers, I suspect it will descend into a political space drama, and they'll likely use the planet's destruction as the eventual final episode.

If we really need more back story (which I'm not complaining about as someone who loved the opening section to Man of Steel, apart from the brief 300 reference that I suspect was Zack Snyder thinking he's being soooo clever), why not make this the first movie in a rebooted DC cinematic universe, with the cliffhanger being Kal-El's crash landing? Then, the following film could jump forward to introduce Wonder Woman, then bring things up to the modern way with Batman uniting metahumans as the Justice League to face an evil that has taken generations to manifest, rather than this conveniently surfacing moments after the last great threat because WB simply want to catch up with building a continuity that Marvel has taken years to establish. Even then, we're still not at a point where the Infinity War storyline has come close to reaching its conclusion, while DC would have pushed through with this already, robbing the event of any scale. By contrast, killing off Superman after just two installments suggested a lack of faith in the character, though of course he didn't stay dead for long, returning to life with a new strange-looking upper lip!

Vidiot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.