Justice League (2017)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, Jul 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Honestly DC's big two Batman & Superman I find corny. Ok. Batman gets a better script ( no superpower).

razerx likes this.
  2. Reading that Zack Snyder may have been fired long before family issues were used as a reason for his exiting the production of Justice League is probably the closest that we'll ever get to a confirmation that the director's cut many fans had wished for never existed in the first place, but I'm also convinced this also means the entire DC Extended Universe will either be steered more in the direction seen under Joss Whedon or rebooted altogether. I doubt that WB will go with the latter option considering how well Wonder Woman performed both critically and commercially, though it's still good news for me either way. I've nothing personal against Snyder, with Watchmen being one of my absolute favourite comic book adaptations. However, the final act in Man of Steel is the exact point he lost me, and I can't possibly defend "BVS" for the handful of moments that I felt worked. As I've said before at similarly great length, the generally bleak tone of his planned movie franchise doesn't work, and I'm glad to see the back of this. Shoehorning comedy into the series at this stage feels too much like desperate damage limitation after doubling down didn't help establish Snyder's vision, plus I'm surprised by the attention given to Henry Cavill's facial hair as a meme just waiting to explode. The hardest part for DC and WB now will be moving forward when they've already started multiple further installments in their greater plan, as I don't recall such a high profile established continuity being rebooted after having so much time and money invested into it. By admitting they were wrong in their original decisions, could this potentially harm either company behind the scenes?

3. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

It finally happened:

4. alexpop

Wonder Woman?
    Yeah ..Gal Gadot is a hottie, but Wonder Woman's character comes across as being too nice.

5. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I finally saw this on pay per view. Boy, is it a bad movie. I’m glad I didn’t pay theater price to watch.

John K.

pexie likes this.
  6. alexpop

Can't watch new movies on a TV screen myself.

7. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

So why is that? And what's yr cut off date for a 'new' movie? Are last years movies still new? Howzabout 2016? Obviously, modern day home viewing is a totally different beast from what it used to. I find the theater experience to be ultimately disappointing currently. Overpriced, rude patrons, dirty theaters, and ultimately, the product itself is often underwhelming which is the truest cause of frustration.

budwhite likes this.
  8. alexpop

Cut of date?
    End of theatrical run.

9. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I always was a DC guy. Never bought any Marvel titles. But Superman was a better character when he was introduced, before they expanded his powers to godlike status. He could leap buildings, but not fly, break the sound barrier, but not go faster than light, etc. etc.

10. The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to agree with those who are convinced Superman was better prior to his being elevated into a near-immortal embodiment of perfection within a larger comic book universe where he's clearly too powerful compared to the other major players. For example, just look at the four Christopher Reeve movies... In each of these, whether through his own decisions or the actions of a villain, he ends up having to be significantly weakened in every single installment, only to triumphantly fight back somehow at the end, making his apologies to humanity and flying up into space for the iconic final shot. Sure, I absolutely love those films, but the bigger problem is that DC have since tried killing Superman off, yet it seems he can't even be stopped in death. If we do get a full reboot as a result of the general current cinematic continuity, it would be interesting to have Superman completely restored to his original form rather than us being made to endure more of the same - for the rest of the Justice League to be regarded equally, I reckon it's time he was finally knocked down a few pegs!

11. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

It seem to be a trend with comic characters, with several becoming more and more powerful until they can no longer be defeated and their dramatic purposes are almost completely eliminated.

Superman, Wolverine, and the Hulk come to mind. Batman has also become increasingly anti-social and powerful for a guy in a rubber bat suit.

12. Just as Man of Steel had Superman kill and (at least partly) cause huge amounts of damage that he was never really challenged over, Dawn of Justice took this further by having Batman - a character who once firmly stood by his "no guns" policy for good personal reason - suddenly show no regard for the lives of his victims, many shot or killed without leaving any room to argue this was mere accident. There was every opportunity for Justice League to address these problems and bring these two individuals down a notch as members of a group with values that needed to be upheld at all costs, but it's clear those in charge at WB/DC have no interest in maintaining any kind of real moral standard. As with so many of his earlier projects, Zack Snyder puts visuals in his movies that he thinks are cool rather than substantial, and the late switch in director couldn't save things. At this stage, the best we can hope for is a total reboot, which is unlikely to happen while anyone involved with the franchise believes there is anything worth salvaging. Incredibly, it seems that Suicide Squad may yet end up becoming something of a cult favourite, not to mention there was plenty of praise heaped on Wonder Woman. Of course, I believe the core of the DCEU has almost always been irredeemable with the exception of the first two acts in Man of Steel, where I genuinely thought it was still possible to pull things back.

pexie likes this.
  13. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Ahh....the old 'Superman's too powerful' argument. Believe it or not, this very same conversation has been happening for decades in the books. I don't buy it, never have. The problem, as always, isn't the character's power levels, it's the writing! Superman is a challenge BUT can be done right. I can rattle off a list of superbly told Superman tales and guess what, his power levels are secondary to the story. It's always about the story. DC's problems, in the books AND the movies will always be centered around poor writing skills!

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  14. alexpop

What would Marvel's team do make a better DC superhero movie?

15. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Don't know if Marvel could help. Years ago DC actually did a book where Stan Lee did a NEW version of Superman (and a few others IIRC).....it was awful! Of course, this was a way past his prime Stan Lee but.....Point is, while the Marvel style might work with a select few DC characters, I'm not so sure it would be a good fit with their majors. I could see them doing a good job with WW since she's basically a female Thor. Marvels Michael Bendis is taking over the Superman book, he did major work on the Avengers, we'll see how he does with Supes.

alexpop likes this.
  16. alexpop

Wonder Woman & Green Lantern are the only two I can think of that would work with Marvel's production team savvy.
    Maybe Jack Kirby's DC creations.

17. alexpop

Aquaman - December 2018, James Wan Director.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  18. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

This is GREAT news! I've missed "Sons of Anarchy" since it went off the air.

19. alexpop

Marvel ous news! You mean? :laugh:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  20. J. R.

J. R. Cat Herder

I liked the movie, but having said that, when Superman finally shows up, he absolutely obliterates the villain in just a couple of minutes and that is that.

21. alexpop

Batman was useless, out his league.

22. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Just like Ben Affleck's Bruce Wayne said in the movie when asked what his superpowers are by The Flash, he said "I'm Rich"

23. alexpop

Joke alright.;)

24. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

Man of Steel > Batman Vs Superman > Wonder Woman > Justice League
    They have gotten progressively worse in every iteration of a DC story. Woman Woman does not even deserve the praise heaped upon it even though Gal Gadot is sincerely awesome in the way she plays the character.
    Justice League was so terribly bad. Unwatchable. I could not finish it. And yes, Cavill's face looked so weird that I don't know how they let that pass. The gross expenditure for such a terrible result of a film with absolutely no cohesive story line is reprehensible. Awful crap.

25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Funny - I actually think each of the films has gotten better with every new one!

For me, JL>WW>BvS>MoS...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.