Justice League (2017)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, Jul 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

The cartoon series from 2000's and dvd movies are 10 times better than this..
    I hope it bombs...

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I prefer tbe cartoon Spider Man.

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There's a lot of screwed-up problems going on with Justice League. New director Joss Whedon is a month into $25,000,000' worth of reshoots (!!!), and they've had to call Henry Cavill back to do new scenes as Superman. Unfortunately, he grew a mustache for the new Mission: Impossible film he's doing for Paramount, and Paramount won't let him shave it off and wear a fake mustache. As a result, they're going to have to digitally-remove Superman's mustache to match the rest of Justice League.

In other news, it's pretty much been decided that original director Zach Snider will be given the sole director credit, even though Whedon is redoing a lot of the movie. According to insiders, he's making the movie a lot less dark and more light-hearted, plus there's more comic one-liners. They're doing everything they can to make it, let's say, more like Wonder Woman and less Suicide Squad.

Warner Bros. has a lot riding on this -- I believe they're well over $225M on the budget, and it's due out in November...

[​IMG]

‘Justice League’ Extensive Reshoots Causing Headaches for Star Schedules (EXCLUSIVE)

4. alexpop

Looking good ! Great news !!!

5. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

George Miller's sadly-aborted Justice League movie had a similar budget... and that was ten years ago!!!

Vidiot likes this.
  6. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

:D

[​IMG]

7. The problem with injecting so much levity into the script of Justice League - as seen in some of the early footage that's already been released - is how jarring this is going to be for anyone familiar with the last two installments featuring (not so) Superman, where the closest I came to genuinely laughing was when he asked Lois Lane to step back prior to taking off all the way in Man of Steel. I can still remember watching that film for the first time, and at the point I just recalled, I genuinely was convinced the Snyder-Goyer-Nolan team was onto a winner... and then the third act happened. Rather than immediately attempting to rectify at least some of the damage by having Superman held accountable for the damage caused during the Black Zero event or his murdering Zod, they skirted around this later on, only to then hijack the same scene with a jar of "Granny's Peach Tea" and an unaware suicide bomber who you'd previously seen become a double amputee in quite the graphic way. After such a downbeat start to a movie that isn't the wholesome, family-friendly take on Superman I'd grown up with, where Jimmy Olsen was killed off just as quickly as he was introduced, Batman breaks his own rule about not killing and people get literally thrown under trains, not to mention I'll likely have to one day answer to my children when they ask what a sex offender is, thanks to Dawn of Justice, Snyder then felt it appropriate to misappropriate the overall Death of Superman arc, condensing this down into a few brief minutes, or at least I think that's what was happening between all the rapid camera movements and CGI explosions.

Even though it's clear Henry Cavill's Superman will be returning in Justice League, did he really do anything to justify the people of this mourning even his temporary demise? In short, I don't believe Joss Whedon and $25m is close to enough. With the exception of Wonder Woman, which isn't without its flaws, the DC Extended Universe has been mostly depressing for this particular fan of the characters. At the very least, all we can hope for now is that Flashpoint sees the entire continuity shifted to a more positive outlook, preferably with brighter colours and more faith in the altruistic heroes this series was meant to represent, its credits including a lengthy apology from Zack Snyder for messing everything up in the first place. Oh, how I miss the days of Richard Donner and Tom Mankiewicz totally understanding the need for Superman to be treated with absolute respect instead of a figure to be mocked or distorted into something else. Not every adaptation needs to follow the template of the Dark Knight trilogy or Watchmen, regardless of how well those were suited to such an approach. Despite my lengthy list of complaints, I'll still give this one a fair trial, but I'm deeply worried about these last minute changes resulting in something closer to what we got with Suicide Squad rather than a complete turnaround of everything that's been established so far. As I said before, will the introduction of a more light-hearted tone be dismissed as a cynical attempt to limit the damage that could have been addressed in Dawn of Justice?

jpelg, alexpop, Vidiot and 1 other person like this.
  8. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

Batman the Animated Series is the best of the superhero cartoons imo. The early nineties show, with the noir feel.....visually stunning!

Zoot Marimba, Simon A, GeoffC and 3 others like this.
  9. alexpop

Yes, I can believe that and that's coming from a non Batman ( going back to DC comics in the sixties) fan.

musicalbeds and Mr. Grieves like this.
  10. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Id also throw in the Mask of the Phantasm film. I think the Superman animated series was nearly as great too. Love the two Justice League shows that followed as well.

11. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

Other than the first Nolan Batman and the last Superman (minus the trainwreck of BVS) I have not been even remotely impressed with any of the movies.

I wish the over drama WB high school drama moody darkness and the un-needed violence would go away. I'm also real tired of the god comparisons...

Growing up I liked D.C. More and now I don't like it at all. Superman. Batman... all of them are supposed to be heros. My heros arent killing or showing over the top violence for kids to see.

D.C. lost values, and lightheartedness.

Kinda sad but the only thing left I'd care to see would be a prequel of Superman parents and the zod turning bad story.

Vidiot likes this.
  12. alexpop

Superman is my least favourite DC film hero. Marvel's Spider~Man the other.
    Pity as I enjoyed the sixties comics.

13. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Portrayed by Ciarán Hinds, no less. One of my favorite actors.

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I have faith in Whedon -- he's a sharp guy, and if anybody can fix the damage, he's the one. I would bet he doesn't sleep even 3 hours a day.

Zoot Marimba, Simon A and ShardEnder like this.
  15. I like Whedon, too... but is a few weeks of reshooting going to be enough to turn Justice League into DC's equivalent of The Avengers, and would fans of the already established film universe accept such a major change in tone that would come with this? At such a late stage, if we can't have a full reboot then I guess the best we should hope for is Flashpoint to give everyone a more upbeat personality transplant.

16. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

This movie's startin' to smell funny!;) The whole 're-shoot' scenario sounds just like what happened with Suicide Squad. You'd think the powers that be would've learned by now, but they continue to make movies and try to 'fix' them in post-production. I've read elsewhere that Affleck isn't sticking around. Quite a change from when he 1st came on board with all the talk about him writing and directing a solo Batman movie. The rats are deserting the ship!;) The cinematic WB/DC machine is a mess! As a longtime comicbook guy, this kinda makes me sad.

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You can do quite a bit in a 2-month shoot and $25 million. I know of some fine entire films with that kind of budget and schedule. The question is whether Whedon can undo the version that Snyder would have made, and also if the final film will make money and captivate critics. Your guess is as good as mine.

Don't forget that Whedon worked in television for many years, so he's used to short schedules and tight budgets. I would bet he could make this work... but he better hurry. He's only got about 14 weeks left before release.

Zoot Marimba, Simon A and ShardEnder like this.
  18. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

But he has same act in everything he does it was fresh years ago
    not now.. some view as childish..
    Don't get me wrong I loved Buffy & Angel and Cabin The Woods
    Both Avengers were horrible.

19. alexpop

Editing,green screen, genuine funny lines. I'm thinking this could be DC's best effort yet with WW and BVS behind it.

20. alexpop

Captain America:Civil War was a snooze fest. Something wrong with it.
    Marvel? No.

21. The Hermit

I may be missing something here, but what damage? Whedon is only stepping in because of Zack Snyder's grief-related leave of absence, there's been no scuttlebutt that Justice League is in any kind of narrative trouble... some people may not like Snyder's aesthetics and/or sensibilities, but the guy knows what he's doing.

That being said, every time I see or read anything about the upcoming Justice League, I'm genuinely sad that George Miller's version never made it to screen... I've read the script and it would have been great!!!

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The damage of a ****ty movie that loses $225 million for Warner Bros. Given Whedon's success with the two Avengers movies, I think he can pull it off and make a DC Comics movie that critics will like and audiences will like.

23. The part that has me the most worried is the short deadline and the amount being spent on reshoots - I'm guessing these won't just be a few lighter shots with characters doing very little, but may involve effects that could take far longer to produce. I must apologise for not being entirely versed in how long CGI takes, though I suspect Whedon's input will be limited unless WB are prepared to move the release date, which I don't see happening at this point. Saying that, didn't Suicide Squad have a similarly troubled production, with reshoots going on right up to the last possible minute, not to mention several different cuts being made by competing teams because of how little faith everyone had in the direction David Ayer had taken with the film? If anything, it wouldn't surprise me if Whedon was asked because of his proven track record for quick turnaround from working on TV shows, rather than any attempt to overthrow Zack Snyder's vision for the overall DCEU, similar to when Richard Lester was first brought in as a supposed intermediary on the original Superman back in 1977, only to then fully take over from Richard Donner when he refused to return if producer Pierre Spengler was also still involved. For all the talk of Whedon injecting humour into Justice League, I don't believe he's come on board to give DC's franchise a Marvel-style reboot, as their comic lines are tonally very different now, with the former having a much darker feel.

Vidiot likes this.
  24. The Hermit

Isn't it a little unfair to presume Justice League would be a "s****y movie" whilst it's still in post at this point? Again, Zack Snyder left because of family reasons not dissatisfaction with the film in it's then-state... at least, not that we've heard of.

And besides, wasn't there already a script revision prior to principal photography to 'lighten' the film somewhat?

Stormrider77 likes this.
  25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I don't think WB hired Joss Whedon because the Justice League dailies and rough cuts looked like it was going to be a great movie. I think they looked at Man of Steel, Batman vs. Superman, and Suicide Squad and said, "nope, we gotta make a change here." Wonder Woman pointed the way for a much better direction for the entire series, and I think both critics and the box office justifies that decision.

BTW, Disney and Marvel have made a lot of similar decisions, but not generally as public. Edgar Wright abruptly quit Ant Man just a few months before production was going to begin, they recently fired the directors of Han Solo and replaced them with Ron Howard, and they also hired a different director to supervise over a month of reshoots on Rogue One. These things don't happen because the studio has confidence in the film being made -- quite the opposite.

I suspect that since the release date is etched in stone, everybody is going to just have to work 18-20 hours days, 7 days a week, to get it all done over the next 114 days. You hire enough people and just go balls to the wall, it can be done. When I was at Cinesite in the early 2000s, I can recall some delivery schedules that required 350 artists to basically work around the clock, some literally sleeping under their desks for a few hours a day, in order to deliver X-Men 2 on time. The movie looked fine, it made a lot of money and got decent reviews, and the VFX looked great, so it all worked out in that regard.

budwhite, Simon A and ShardEnder like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.