Justice League (2017)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, Jul 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I'm one of the few who actually liked Ang Lee's "Hulk", especially the action scenes arranged as comic book panels. Wish another director would have picked up on that and taken it a step further. I have to say the trailer for JL doesn't look far removed from an SNL parody of a JL trailer.

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Man, the reviews are haaaaaaaarible...

In these instances, pure and unadorned honesty is really the only way to go, difficult as it may be to deliver. And so, dear Justice League, I must say that no, the lighting is not good. The script is not interesting. The costumes are not fun. The film is, plainly stated, terrible, and I’m sorry that everyone wasted their time and money making it—and that people are being asked to waste their time and money seeing it.
    Justice League Is a Big, Ugly Mess

In place of disaster, Justice League is a largely bland, forgettable affair that has nice moments scattered throughout and the promise of a better tomorrow, but outside of Wonder Woman, that’s all the DCEU ever really offers: the promise that the next movie will be better. And sure, Justice League is better than Batman v Superman, but that doesn’t make it good.
    ‘Justice League’ Review: Beyond Saving

Justice League review – good, evil and dullness do battle... Ben Affleck’s unconvincing Batman deadens the long-awaited DC adventure as superheroes team up to save planet Earth from destruction, but not boredom.
    Justice League review – good, evil and dullness do battle

...Warner Bros’ latest hapless attempt to jump-start their DC Comics blockbuster brand, which at this point looks less like a cinematic universe than a pop-cultural black hole, sucking up as much money and audience goodwill as the studio can shovel into it.
    Justice League review: DC's superhero embarrassment is beyond saving

Garishly unattractive to look at and lacking the spirit that made Wonder Woman, which came out five months ago, the most engaging of Warner Bros.' DC Comics-derived extravaganzas to date, this hodgepodge throws a bunch of superheroes into a mix that neither congeals nor particularly makes you want to see more of them in future. Plainly put, it's simply not fun.
    'Justice League': Film Review

Oh, dear. :eek:

Deuce66 and alexpop like this.
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

DC = Definately crap.

4. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Now I'm really lamenting the fact that George Miller didn't get his Justice League film made ten years ago...

Vidiot and agentalbert like this.
  5. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

I haven't watched the film yet (the premiere was yesterday) but I have read half a dozen positive reviews so far. I enjoyed Affleck's version of Batman and Gadot's Wonder Woman, so that's a good start.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  6. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

7. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

The biggest head scratcher is Snyder. Why didn't the studio replace him after his two "Superman plus friends" movies?

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  8. alexpop

Really looking forward to this after the promising Wonder Woman.

9. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

10. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I'll wait for the re-re-re (re re re) boot. At some point maybe they'll get things right.

11. Mr. Grieves

12. Mr. Grieves

13. Mr. Grieves

Seems like while it's not on Wonder Womans level, it's certainly a step up from BvS, and a huge leap forward from Suicide Squad. I might try to catch next week

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  14. alexpop

I'll definitely watch it the cinema in a few weeks, hopefully they'll be no more negative reviews. Happy with 7/10.

15. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

well, at least the reviews are enjoyable. Lets give it up for corrosively incisive descriptions such as "The movie jerks around haltingly, shuffling through visual motifs and grating, unexciting set pieces at alarming speed, with no rhythm or build. It’s like having a little kid stutteringly recap a movie for you (“And then this happened and then this happened, oh wait, but also this happened”) instead of watching an actual movie." I wonder - did WB think they were going to fool us?

Vidiot likes this.
  16. alexpop

Imdb: mixed reviews either 10s /9s..or 1/10s. Happy with 7/10. Feeling 5/10..tell me I'm wrong.

17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

18. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

The reviews are mixed on this one, and from what I've read of the film, it is kind of a mixed bag. That said, I might still give it a shot.

19. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Cartoon movies so much better Frank Millers Dark Knight Returns A+++++

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Already got tickets to see it with friends at the biggest 3D theater we could find on Friday. We're bracing ourselves for a steaming goat turd. If it's better than that, I'll be happy.

The Snyder movies did make big money, but not MARVEL-sized big money. I think the WB execs were very concerned at the bad reviews the Snyder films made as well, and it was easier to find a different director who would lighten up the story and characters and give the audience what they seemed to want. The huge success of Wonder Woman told WB that this was closer to what people liked.

Snyder's personal issues were what ultimately caused him to drop out, but I don't doubt there was horrendous pressure being put on him to make a more "mass-market" (profitable) film, which goes against his instincts to tell a dark, emotional kind of story. My problem with his movies is that he went too far in that direction -- both visually and story-wise -- and to me that doesn't work for a character like Superman. I didn't have a problem with the "Dark Knight" Nolan movies.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    coffeetime and budwhite like this.
  21. alexpop

If you like it there's hope.

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Oh, there's a ton of bad movies I like, and even some good movies I hate. My taste doesn't necessarily = hit movie or even a critical success. I think I can stand back and objectively say, "yes, this movie was made very effectively" and does what it needs to do. But I have a low threshold for stupid plots.

Dave and budwhite like this.
  23. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Take just about any film and you can find negative reviews so I think it's a bit unfair just posting the bad ones, for balance you should have quoted some of the good ones, I'm sure some people liked it.

I do, sadly, think that those reviews are probably correct though. I think these DC movies are miles away from what they should be and are a huge let down. And it's sad that we have got to the point with DC that a 'bearable ok film' is seen as success. I thought MOS was ok but it lacked the key essence of Superman that they captured in the 1978 version. Suicide Squad had about ten minutes of decent stuff and the dumbness plot you could imagine. BvS - there was a good film in there somewhere buried.

Dave and Mr. Grieves like this.
  24. alexpop

I think with the D.C. Films including Wonder Woman that they are too old fashioned, out moded. Felt that with D.C. comics around 1965, Marvel took over...still have.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  25. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

I think it's success had more to do with the fact that it was the first big budget movie about this popular character.............compared to the constant reboot's of the other super hero's.

alexpop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.