Justice League-Where Is Green Lantern?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Luvtemps, May 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Oops..he was amusing. :laugh:

2. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Alan Scott was a Green Lantern from 1940 until the New 52 reboot, when they rewrote his origin to be a young homosexual. He was trapped for decades along with other members of the Justice Society in an infinite loop fighting a demon until they were released during the Crisis, circa 1986, when they resumed aging. So he was basically a 90 something year old man with the body of someone in their late 60s.

Also, he was not part of the Green Lantern Corps, and his ring was different, in that it's weakness was wood rather than "yellow."

carrick doone likes this.
  3. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

With Guy Gardner, they could do something that occurred in the comics to deal with complaints about his very non-PC character: He gets hit in the head and becomes the most kind, gentle, sweet, politically correct individual who you've ever seen...someone who makes Mr. Rogers looks like Wolverine in comparison. After a few minutes with this of-so-politically-correct Guy, everyone watching the movie, even the most PC person in the audience, would be begging for the old non-PC Guy (despite their disagreements, Batman couldn't stand the "nice" Guy and preferred him psychotic).

4. Solitaire1

How a Green Lantern uses the ring depends on the individual. In Justice League John Stewart got criticized by another Green Lantern for how limited he was when he used the ring. Kyle Rayner's imagination allows him to use the ring very creative ways (often with a bit of humor, when he needed to hit Mongul he generated a high-speed train with the word "Slamtrack" on it).

5. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

That's an idea - and I think it would work.

Regarding the most recent JL movie, something that struck me after watching it again was that the point was made during the initial fight sequence between the gang & Superman was that they were sure to show us that the Flash was indeed faster than Superman - even as a young version of Flash, not so trained yet to do all that he can and not battle-worn in the least. I thought that would be something great to exploit in future movies somehow but I'm not so sure they'll be making anymore of these, at least for a while.

I also thought about how basically useless and out of place Aquaman was the whole time. Someone like GL would have at least made a more interesting character to insert.

6. Solitaire1

The slow aging occurred to a number of characters due to exposure to chronal energy. As a result, many of the WWII era characters (including Superman and Lois Lane) were physically 20-years younger than their actual age. However, in Zero Hour Extant restored many of them to their proper age (including Jay Garrick [the Silver-Age Flash]) physically aging by 20 years in an instant.

seed_drill likes this.
  7. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I bought but never read zero hour. I kept buying way too long after finding time to read was no longer a priority. I recently sold all the "New 52" books I'd purchased but never read back to the comic book store.

8. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Guy Gardner could be DC’s Deadpool.

They’re really not taking advantage of the properties they own if they fall outside of the established grim-n-dark films.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  9. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Damn. That's brilliant.

DreadPikathulhu likes this.
  10. DreadPikathulhu

Hollywood? Call me.

11. DreadPikathulhu

I did jump on the new 52 and most of the series I liked were quickly cancelled.

seed_drill likes this.
  12. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

A couple of years ago, I heard they were working on a lighter Shazam! movie, outside of the current DC Movieverse.

13. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Lobo's DC's Deadpool. And now that I said it, it dawns on me that he'd be a great addition to the cinematic Justice League. Where as I don't think it would be such a good match in the books, go figure!;)

14. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Not to mention Martian Manhunter. He was in the original JLA and was a far more interesting character than that Cyborg dude they replaced him with. That guy wasn't even a character - he was a plot convenience. Long live Jon Jonzz!

FVDnz, seed_drill and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  15. Solitaire1

The problem with using Lobo is that to do him properly they'd have to come with a whole new movie rating just for the sheer level of violence he'd bring (the hands-on killing of the entire population of planet is a minor level of violence for Lobo). Consider that Lobo is the last of his kind because he killed all the others just for fun, and his Who's Who entry says that he only has two considerations when it comes to killing (slow or fast), and if you choose to go up against Lobo you had better make sure that he is completely, irrevocably dead...OR YOU ARE!

16. Solitaire1

After writing the above, I realized there is another DC property that could work and would bring Lobo in: L. E. G. I. O. N.

Brief Overview: L. E. G. I. O. N. is a for-hire police force run by Vril Dox (the adopted son of Brainiac in the original continuity). Dox is completely ruthless when it comes to achieving his goals (this allowed him to defeat Lobo and imposed an honor obligation on him) and the people around him are not there because they like him. They are there because they are afraid of what he would do without some one to restrain him (to found L. E. G. I. O. N. he went to a planet that was drug capital of the galaxy and with his team defeated the entire planet, and Dox personally executed the planet's drug lord without any hesitation).

If properly done, L. E. G. I. O. N. could provide a grim and gritty type of sci-fi story on the line of the original Blade Runner. It could also bring in The Green Lantern Corps and The Darkstars (a team founded by The Controllers, an off-shoot of The Guardians). While the Green Lanterns are like knights of the realm, the Darkstars are more like cops on a beat, and their differences, along with those of L. E. G. I. O. N., brought the three groups into conflict.

17. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Since he can make himsef invisible I'm sure he was quietly right there the whole time, prob thinking "this kinda stinks, think I'll stay Invis."

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Speaking of Justice League, what would it look like if they digitally-inserted Christopher Reeves' face into it? Why, it might look something like this...

Rhett likes this.
  19. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

JL /GL?
    Think Ryan Reynolds missed out on that one.:D

20. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Yeah, Zack Snyder and his hair-brained ideas! Martian Manhunter would have been amazing along with Hal Jordan. J'onn J'onzz could have been a Nick Fury-like character that doesn't need his own film, IMHO. And I did hear that they were planning a Green Lantern Corps film hence why there was no GL in JL, but who knows if that's ever going to get off the ground anymore...

21. Solitaire1

Although Hal Jordan is the most recognized Green Lantern, there are a number of other Earth-based Green Lanterns who would have been a good choice for Justice League. I'd like to see John Stewart make an appearance, if handled properly he could be an outstanding character. Guy Gardner could provide an abrasive edge that could make for interesting stories.

22. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I wrote in another thread about a certain 'sameness' that seems to be settling in regarding the superheroes. Namely, that their specific powers aren't specified, so many of them are basically pushing colored light beams of who-knows-what that can usually punch holes in walls but only kill innocent bystanders, never another super. Capt. Marvel, Cyclops, Iron Man, Scarlet Witch, and so many more all shoot...what exactly? Unfortunately, Green Lanterns' power, on film, is the epitome of this with his power ring! In the books, the constructs the different GL's come up with reflect their personalities/abilities. On film, regardless of if their using constructs, or just plain green power blasts, it comes off as incredibly juvenile. I read this past week that DC officially announced that their movies, going forward, arent neccesarily going to be in a 'shared' universe, they're conceding that concept to Marvel. Probably for the best, Green Lantern would probably work in that same juvenile universe they're hoping Shazam will play to, for the kids! Which is probably as it should be!;)

23. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Wow... that was really neat/interesting!
    Someday they will get to the point of synthesizing the voice to sound exactly like whoever they want and this digital video and synthesized audio will match up nicely!

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Amazingly, that's a lot harder. You really need a human to just imitate the person and restate whatever needs to be said. Although... there is a new Adobe speech synthesis program that's said to be good.

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And just to bring this thread up to date: apparently the crazy fans are now campaigning for Warner Bros. to release Zach Snyder's "original cut" of Justice League, knowing it was more serious and reportedly more violent...

'Justice League' fans are planning a 'Release the Snyder Cut' letter-writing campaign aimed at Warner Bros. incoming CEO

I think given that the management has changed completely since the original film was made and released, I don't think anybody left cares anymore -- I think they've moved on and are a lot more concerned about new films coming out in 2020, 2021, and 2022.

wayneklein likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.