Justified: Premiere on FX Tonight

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by aaronfirebrand, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aaronfirebrand

aaronfirebrand Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Elmore Leonard's Raylan Givens is brought to life on the small screen by Timothy Olyphant beginning tonight on FX. First showing at 10PM PDT, with an encore following.
    I'm looking forward to this adaptation of Leonard's badass lawman, and thought others here might appreciate this reminder.

2. JohnBeas

JohnBeas Forum Resident

Looks like this runs 71" for those of us who are recording it.

3. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

I thought it was a Justin Timberlake reality show at first. :laugh:

4. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

[darn double post]

5. aaronfirebrand

I liked the premiere and I'm looking forward to watching the story unfold. FX is doing pretty well lately with their original series. I thought Sons Of Anarchy was one of the best series in recent years. Archer is a favorite, as was The Shield (Walton Goggins from that show is Olyphant's nemesis on Justified), Thief and Rescue Me. I still can't stand It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, though, and I'll absolutely ignore the upcoming Louie.
    Sons Of Anarchy was loosely based on Hamlet, and Justified is from Elmore Leonard, so I hope FX keeps looking to adapt literary works, as they do well with that.

6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Through two episodes, I think its okay. I wouldn't miss it if it were gone. I like that they carried over a few characters from the pilot, and it isn't just a typical procedural where the order of the episodes has no import.

I like the Ava character.

7. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Wife and I both really liked this one. Looking forward to more.

8. agentalbert

No posts on this one for awhile. For anyone watching, what do you think? I've enjoyed it. I like that it is NOT just self-contained episode after self-contained episode (like Law & Order). I need some sort of ongoing story and character development to keep me interested.

3 more episodes left in season 1, and then it looks like its off until sometime in 2011.

9. stumpy

stumpy Forum Resident

I've caught every episode except no. 6. I like it, but I can't help but feel it needs something. A little more action perhaps. They're definitely going to need something to bring people back after that long hiatus.

10. agentalbert

Anyone else still watching this? Last nights season ender was great. They really ratcheted things up the last few episodes.

11. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

the intro is very much like True Blood, same kinda feel, similar fonts lighting etc

Great show!

12. agentalbert

Seems like its been gone a long time, but Justified returns to FX for season 2 starting Wednesday 2/9.

13. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

Cool, thanks for the heads-up. I enjoyed the first season.

14. rogertheshrubber

rogertheshrubber Senior Member

Man, this series is great--I just finished watching all my Tivo'd first season episodes. Timothy Olyphant and the guy who used to be Shane in "The Shield" are fantastic--definitely worth checking out!

15. jukin

jukin Forum Resident

If they ever want to make some more Dollar movies, look no further for the new Man With No Name. :)

Excellent show; very happy we got a second season.

16. hutlock

New season kicks off tonight! Can't wait!

Has anyone else seen the "Dirty Harry" commerical they've been running with Raylan in the convenience store? Love it.

17. stumpy

stumpy Forum Resident

I was kind of surprised they started Season 2 exactly where Season 1 left off. Looks like Ma Kettle is going to be the heavy for awhile. I see they're going to keep the heat turned up with the ex-wife. It'll be interesting if Boyd and Ava make a comeback. No let down at all on the 1st episode.

18. fabtrick

fabtrick New Member

Raylan is THE MAN.

19. hutlock

Agreed - I was kind of surprised they picked it up at EXACTLY that point, but I was pleased with where they went from there.

But yeah, no let down at all so far. Should be a fun season.

20. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I like the "Star Wars" one better - especially the "Han shoots first" reference. :righton:

21. jmrife

jmrife Wife. Kids. Grandkids. Dog. Music.

Elmore Leonard/The Moonshine War and more.

I was riveted by the first season of Justified. And season two started strong. I am pleased to see that Dutch Leonard's inspiration for this series is alive and well.

The season premiere episode was titled "The Moonshine War", the name of an earlier Leonard novel set in Kentucky about rival bootleggers during the Depression. This season of Justified seems to be about meth dealers fighting over turf, a nice update and homage to Leonard's inspiration.

His novels and short stories are worth reading. They transcend the crime novel genre. Did you guys know he wrote "Hombre"? And many more great novels with wonderful characters, dialogue and plots.

So I ask you: Is reading a visual art?

22. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

Just found out about the show (thanks to this thread!), and I'm 2 episodes in. Growing up in the South, I can relate to all the characters (good and the very bad).

What makes this show exceptional is the brilliantly written dialogue, which captures the tone and interaction of folks of the South. Sure it's a highly stylized form of the South, but for once a show captures the 'trashiness' of the South without 'insulting' the intelligence of people from the South.

Bravo FX for another great show!

artfromtex likes this.
  23. agentalbert

I thought the intro part tying up season 1 wasn't so great, but they had to dispense with that storyline somehow. The new villain is good, and Jeremy Davies is perfect for his part.

Very good start to season 2.

I think I'm in the minority, but I've always liked Raylan better with Ava than with Winona. I hope Ava's not completely out of the picture.

24. aaronfirebrand

Well, comic books are. Real books put the pictures in your mind instead of on the page, so I say yes.

I echo the recommendation for Leonard's writing. I think Justified will draw more fans to his work than any other film or television treatment so far. I love Leonard's humor, especially.
    In a strange way, his writing reminds me of Philip K. Dick, though I couldn't say why, exactly.

When I read "Dutch" Leonard, I remembered two baseball pitchers from early last century, then I remembered Elmore's nickname.

:wave:

25. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

Dave Alvin guests on FX's 'Justified' on Feb. 23, debuts new song

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2011/02/dave-alvin-fx-justified-feb-23.html

The FX channel’s crime-drama series “Justified,” which just launched its second season and is airing Wednesday nights, is set in the coal-mining country of southeastern Kentucky. That gives it something of a “Coal Miner’s Godfather” vibe with its storyline of a deputy U.S. marshal who patrols the back roads of Appalachia on the lookout for dope dealers, thieves and murderers.

The rural setting makes it an ideal forum for an Americana-heavy soundtrack, but even roots-music fans might shake their heads in disbelief during the Feb. 23 episode “Harlan County Line,” when none other than singer-songwriter Dave Alvin makes a guest appearance.

Not only does Alvin appear on-camera -- as a musician in an out-of-the-way roadhouse where star Timothy Olyphant, as Dep. Raylan Givens, is having a clandestine meeting -- but he also sings an original song he wrote for the episode.

When Givens is joined at the bar by a guest who asks what he’s doing, he responds, “I’m waiting for Dave Alvin to go on.” Sure enough, there’s Alvin tuning up and then launching into the song “Harlan County Line,” backed by guitarist Rick Shea and other members of his real-life band. But even miracles have to end sometime, and after a few seconds of the song, the action shifts away from the bar and the episode moves on.

It turns out that the show’s creators are longtime Alvin fans themselves, and decided during the second season to write him into the show. We’re told at Pop & Hiss that his song will surface in its entirety on a forthcoming “Justified” soundtrack album. It’s also scheduled to be on a new Alvin solo album that's due in June.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.